Claim that Google Chromebooks "overtook" Apple in U.S. education is false

Comments

• Reply 21 of 102
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    relic wrote: »
    Man this guy certainly defines the term fanboy, he absolutely hates things that even remotely look like they might be successful. Let it go DED, we get it, nothing is better than Apple. If you think IDC is incorrect than stop using them as a reference in your stories when their numbers serve you. Also I've seen first hand more and more schools here in Switzerland using ChromeBooks, am I imagining this, so Zurich, Luzern and Zug school districts aren't going with the ChromeBook. There is plenty of market for both platforms to survive seccesfully, and there was defiantly no need to go into such detail as to why ChromeBooks aren't actually doing well in the educational market space. We all know Apple is still on top.

He is totally correct to highlight blatant attempts of these journalists, who they and their like continually try to diminish anything they can that Apple does. It has gone on for years. Why the hell would you try to reverse the logic? Remember many were equally aggressive in attacking DED in the years he stated Android sales by Samsung were inflated and the truth was Samsung was in trouble. It matters to some of us with a large financial stake in AAPL that the media don't spew lies and half truths to mislead the uninformed, which always hurts AAPL.

Great job DED.
  • Reply 22 of 102
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    I'm still waiting for IDC's prediction that Windows Phone will overtake the iPhone by 2011 to come true.

I'd forgotten that one LOL, no doubt Relic will chime in that you are being unnecessarily negative though. :no:
  • Reply 23 of 102
    An interesting bit of polemic but one that entirely misses the point. Google is not, nor can it be, in competition with MS or Apple. MS and Apple make their money selling proprietary operating systems, proprietary software, proprietary hardware and lock-in licensing. Google, however, is an advertising company. It literally gives away Chrome OS and Android to vendors. It gives away almost all its software. Why? Google makes its money when people use the web. Essentially Google doesn't care if you use Apple, MS or a commodore C-64 to get on the web, so long as you do. Chrome OS, Android, Google Fiber and a host of other initiatives are solely designed to expand accessibility in markets where overly expensive and/or complex systems (you know who I'm looking at) have hampered that access. It's about growing the pie, more eyeballs and more butts-in-seats because all that is money in the bank for Google. Chrome OS and Chromebooks are seed corn being planted in the primary and secondary educational system for a future bumper harvest...
  • Reply 24 of 102
    Getting the iPad into schools is more of a future benefit for Apple. Those kids will be brand conscious and probably future customers.
  • Reply 25 of 102
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

I'm sure Garrahan and Bradshaw enjoy being lectured on journalistic integrity by DED, an author of such intellectual hygiene that he comments on his own articles from sock-puppet aliases and supports his assertions mainly through links to his own propaganda pieces.

Go away, Dilger - you're embarrassing yourself and AI.

It's obvious from your post-history that you are either infatuated with DED, but in the closet about it, or he dumped you and you're still spurned about it.

Either way, you lost all credibility.  If anyone should go away, it should be you.  Honestly, move on.

• Reply 26 of 102
    The deadly effective darts of DED strike once again at the imbecilic deceitful cronies of IDC.

Classic Dilger.
  • Reply 27 of 102
    Quote:

I'm sure Garrahan and Bradshaw enjoy being lectured on journalistic integrity by DED, an author of such intellectual hygiene that he comments on his own articles from sock-puppet aliases and supports his assertions mainly through links to his own propaganda pieces.

DED has a habit of getting pretty emotional, and could often be called an Apple Fanboi, but how is that relevant when all he is doing here is discussing numbers? The only valid argument against what he is saying here is proving that the numbers used in the original article are in fact correct. If they are not, the person highlighting them - and all his bias - is of no relevance. Sounds like your bias against DED is the issue here - even when he just uses facts, you'd rather not listen.

• Reply 28 of 102
    I knew this was accurate reporting the moment I spotted, "The tendentiously provocative idea that..."

Only people who know what they're talking about can use those words, and that's fact, Jack!
  • Reply 29 of 102
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I knew this was accurate reporting the moment I spotted, "The tendentiously provocative idea that..."

Only people who know what they're talking about can use those words, and that's fact, Jack!

I read words like that, and I'm reminded of this guy. ;)

• Reply 30 of 102
    jaayco wrote: »

DED has a habit of getting pretty emotional, and could often be called an Apple Fanboi, but how is that relevant when all he is doing here is discussing numbers? The only valid argument against what he is saying here is proving that the numbers used in the original article are in fact correct. If they are not, the person highlighting them - and all his bias - is of no relevance. Sounds like your bias against DED is the issue here - even when he just uses facts, you'd rather not listen.

It's refreshing fun to read someone like DED who will jump in front of a bullet for Apple...most of those sort didn't survive the late '80s and early '90s poo-pooing when things were so perilous for Apple, the pompous pundits and prognosticators didn't even bother pillorying Apple products.
  • Reply 31 of 102
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

It's refreshing fun to read someone like DED who will jump in front of a bullet for Apple...most of those sort didn't survive the late '80s and early '90s poo-pooing when things were so perilous for Apple, the pompous pundits and prognosticators didn't even bother pillorying Apple products.

The thing is, I'd say people from that era should wear this shirt...but given how Apple's always doomed it would work for anyone.

http://store.dieselsweeties.com/products/i-was-a-mac-user-when-apple-was-doomed-shirt

• Reply 32 of 102
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

I'm still waiting for Google to ditch Android. When is that happening DED?

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/07/29/google-appears-ready-to-ditch-android-over-its-intellectual-property-issues

• Reply 33 of 102
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Man this guy certainly defines the term fanboy, he absolutely hates things that even remotely look like they might be successful. Let it go DED, we get it, nothing is better than Apple. If you think IDC is incorrect than stop using them as a reference in your stories when their numbers serve you. Also I've seen first hand more and more schools here in Switzerland using ChromeBooks, am I imagining this, so Zurich, Luzern and Zug school districts aren't going with the ChromeBook. There is plenty of market for both platforms to survive seccesfully, and there was defiantly no need to go into such detail as to why ChromeBooks aren't actually doing well in the educational market space. We all know Apple is still on top.

If you had read the article it was not about the merits of Apple iPads vs. Chromebooks but it was an article about the falsehoods and lies that are spread by IDC on behalf of its paying clients to skew the numbers (to lie about, to loose numbers or to just overlook the truth) to show there paying clients products in a more favored light than there competitors product.  That is IDC's business to make it look like there clients are winning even when there not.

Daniel even said in the article and I quote:

Quote:

This isn't an argument that Chromebooks are bad or that people shouldn't consider buying them, it's merely an overview of the factually false, misleading reporting that market research groups and their journalist collaborators are foisting on the public as "news."

To say that because you see that there are more chromebooks in Swiss schools is irrelevant that is one small country in an area of Europe and does not represent the global picture at all.

• Reply 34 of 102
    Quote:

And he has never denied that Corrections is him.  So what is your point?  He does not have your posts deleted, does he?  Because you post your view.  He has a right to defend b.s. that is directed at him just like you have the right to speak your mind too.

• Reply 35 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jaayco View Post

DED has a habit of getting pretty emotional, and could often be called an Apple Fanboi, but how is that relevant when all he is doing here is discussing numbers? 

Even when he's just discussing numbers, his pieces are usually written from the viewpoint that the there is an unfair media bias against Apple - that the media tries to undermine Apple and support competing products.

This is just not true. The portrayal of Apple in the mainstream media is, on balance, positive. But pretending it isn't in order to adopt a siege mentality stirs up the hive so much more effectively.

• Reply 36 of 102
    euphonious wrote: »
    This is just not true. The portrayal of Apple in the mainstream media is, on balance, positive.

Hahahahahah...that was a good one. :no:
  • Reply 37 of 102
    Quote:

Even when he's just discussing numbers, his pieces are usually written from the viewpoint that the there is an unfair media bias against Apple - that the media tries to undermine Apple and support competing products.

This is just not true. The portrayal of Apple in the mainstream media is, on balance, positive. But pretending it isn't in order to adopt a siege mentality stirs up the hive so much more effectively.

Sure. He definitely implies a media bias in his articles. But again, either his analysis of the numbers holds up or it doesn't. If it holds up the most likely reasons are bias or incompetence. This isn't indicative of a general media bias, just a bias in this article. Extrapolating to a general bias is a matter of opinion. The original article itself being either badly researched or purposely biased is a matter of numbers. I think in this case the numbers support DED's argument, regardless of his agenda.

• Reply 38 of 102
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sog35 wrote: »
    So because DED brings FACTS to the table you call him a fanboy. GTFO

Of course it's in the manner in which he does.
  • Reply 39 of 102
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    rogifan wrote: »

Oracle's case against Google is still lumbering through the courts, and it's certainly possible that Google will prevail.

It would, however, be pretty irresponsible for Google to not cover its ass, and we are seeing plenty of evidence of that as Andy Rubin leaves, the Chrome guy takes over
  • Reply 40 of 102
    [B][I][SIZE=5][COLOR=blue]Of Course, Financial Times' Article Was Villain's " BOGUS PROPAGANDA & DEMAGOGUE " As Usual and IDC is VILLAIN's LACKEY ![/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/B]