Apple's latest iPad Air 2 ad is departure from 'Your Verse' campaign

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40

This ad reminds me of an iPod ad. Difference being, the iPod does basically one thing... music... the iPad... many many different things. How do you get as much of that into a short time frame? This ad.

I liked it.

Does it compare with some of Apple's great ads? Not even close... but neither did the Your Verse ads... which I really disliked... so damn pretentious.

• Reply 22 of 40
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Gramze View Post

What I don't like about this ad is that it is so frenetic you can't really get doing anything with it, you take for granted that people are accomplishing various things. Better to do a series of ads that each show a different use case where you get a hint that you might be able to do it too.

This add is about feeling :  doing, energy, living... Not doing anything specific; your life fills in the blanks.

That's why there is no focus on one thing. The music and the quick montage is the hint.

BTW, people are more used these days to these frenetic quick montage then say 25 years ago.

• Reply 23 of 40
    bobschlob wrote: »
    What a waste.
    Cuts are so fast you can't even get, just a quick impression of what each of these things is or any idea of what it is these people are doing.
    It's more of just a simple abstract collage. And from just a visual standpoint; not a very interesting one.

I'll bet each of those Apps are, probably, really incredible. But I couldn't even get a little enough taste of them to know or not.

Welcome to the MTV attention span advertising... It's the way the teens and twenty-something crowd rolls. This ad was just not designed for you or me. Face it we are redundant, over-the-hill, and past our "use by" date. The Microsoft "shoe store" ad was designed for us...nice and slow and stupid, actually... but much more our speed. To show you how out-of-the-loop I was, I even shut off the iTunes music so I could play attention to the Apple ad. Then I watched it three times to sort-of get it.

THIS is the ad Microsoft was shooting for when they shot the ad with everyone dancing, clicking their kickstands and splashing in the fountains. The apple ad was COOL and the Microsoft ad was just goofy...it's that easy to miss COOL and hit goofy solidly.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    I think it's great but goes a little too fast.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    I love my iPad Air 2, but I can't stand this ad.

Jarring music that would be more suited to a Samsung ad, stupidly quick changes of shot and a really annoying style with the gradual letterboxing. It's trying to be too clever and too much, a bit like the Apple Watch.

Along with the previous terrible iPhone ads with the nauseating 'comedians', Apple are having a real stinker of a run with their inhouse ad team.

Oh for the days of the early iPod ads or the I'm a Mac I'm a PC ads, not to mention 1984.

I love the 1984 ad as much as anyone, but it would be the cheesiest thing ever if you tried to release it today.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Saying that they are "showing off a variety of apps," is true but I don't think captures the depth of the concept Apple is demonstrating here.

Traditionally you have your data capture devices (cameras, microphones, sensors, motion capture, ...) in the field, and then you take your data back home for processing. This shows a new world where computers are so portable and so powerful that you just do the processing on the spot. That is a new concept I think. 

One could argue that that idea is as old as the laptop, but I don't think so. The laptop was just like a very close office: the sensors and processing device were still separate things. The iPad is the integration of sensors and processing. You could say the "so is the phone" I would say yes, but only for a much smaller range of applications, due to it's smaller screen. The iPad eliminates the computer at home in far more cases.

• Reply 27 of 40
    appexappex Posts: 687member

Just imagine what you could do with a real computer: a Mac tablet!

• Reply 28 of 40
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

Ah, the concept got in the way of the content.

It would've looked cool to have it in the final five seconds though. It is a nice closure.

As for the other stuff: The add is too fast paced. The music is overkill as well. It's hyper hipster stuff.

• Reply 29 of 40
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member

This is just the introduction to the new campaign. It was fast because Apple will dive into each individual on their website (as they already have) and likely add more videos to each specific individual like they did with Your Verse.

Which makes we wonder, did they change campaigns due to the passing of Robin Williams or because, a new iPad deserves a new campaign?

• Reply 30 of 40
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So basically no matter what Apple does people are going to hate it. I actually prefer an ad like this to some of the more serious your verse ads. And it's 1000% better than the Microsoft Surface ad with that stupid Christmas jingle.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

This is just the introduction to the new campaign. It was fast because Apple will dive into each individual on their website (as they already have) and likely add more videos to each specific individual like they did with Your Verse.

Which makes we wonder, did they change campaigns due to the passing of Robin Williams or because, a new iPad deserves a new campaign?

I think it's just time for a new campaign. The serious ones ran their course.

Honestly, I think the change in style began with the MBA's 'Stickers' ad earlier this year, and it's just making its way across the product line now.

• Reply 32 of 40
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Gramze View Post

What I don't like about this ad is that it is so frenetic you can't really get doing anything with it, you take for granted that people are accomplishing various things. Better to do a series of ads that each show a different use case where you get a hint that you might be able to do it too.

Agreed. First, a lot of people tune out a lot of flashing, noisy commercials. Second, you really don't get to see / understand what's going on with one or two apps.

A lot of the "MTV generation" are older and have kids and they may tune out commercials that are too flashy and frenetic.

Being subtle is probably more powerful and unconscious. Like Jobs would be subtle when demonstrating Mail on the iPad. He'd let that app speak for itself as he would interact with it. That was powerful.

There are some truly amazing apps out there. They should showcase a handful in commercials. Viewers don't want to have to hunt  down information about an app they saw for 2 seconds and do research and reviews. So, let the ads speak directly to that "one" viewer - the one watching the commercial. Don't be all things to all people and turn into white noise.

Don't listen to me. I stopped watching commercial TV years ago!

• Reply 33 of 40
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So basically no matter what Apple does people are going to hate it. I actually prefer an ad like this to some of the more serious your verse ads. And it's 1000% better than the Microsoft Surface ad with that stupid Christmas jingle.

I can see your point, but of course, being better than the others doesn't necessarily better.

Yeah, some people will hate most anything and be the worlds biggest critic.

I think one of the best iPad ads in recent memory was the Facetime ads with families interacting with their other family members. Those were very powerful. It was people first and the technology was pretty much transparent.

What is funny about the Facetime ads is that Skype and other services have been out for quite awhile and are quite popular. But Apple really struck gold by putting the focus on people. If you put the focus on just the technology (and flashiness), you lose some people.

• Reply 34 of 40
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

Agreed. First, a lot of people tune out a lot of flashing, noisy commercials. Second, you really don't get to see / understand what's going on with one or two apps.

A lot of the "MTV generation" are older and have kids and they may tune out commercials that are too flashy and frenetic.

Being subtle is probably more powerful and unconscious. Like Jobs would be subtle when demonstrating Mail on the iPad. He'd let that app speak for itself as he would interact with it. That was powerful.

There are some truly amazing apps out there. They should showcase a handful in commercials. Viewers don't want to have to hunt  down information about an app they saw for 2 seconds and do research and reviews. So, let the ads speak directly to that "one" viewer - the one watching the commercial. Don't be all things to all people and turn into white noise.

Don't listen to me. I stopped watching commercial TV years ago!

Ha ha. You have a point but I think adverts really need to be seen in the context of the target audience. There have been ads showing granddad reading for his grandkids, slowly and elegantly depicting the wonderment of the iPad. This ad is not aimed at the same demographic. It is obviously aimed at the kind of people who don't mind fast, jumpy, flashy. Young people, in other words. This reminds me much more of the early iPod silhouette ads in tone. Nowhere near as iconic, but the 'feel' is closer than what we have seen recently. This is a hard product to market. The iPod was for music whereas the iPad... well, its for everything.

• Reply 35 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I love my iPad Air 2, but I can't stand this ad.

You aren't the target market and bleating about it evens everyone's conviction.

This ad resonates with a segment of the buying public flying well below your radar.

Apple already has your money. But they didn't become the most profitable company in the world selling exclusively to you and the market you represent.

Go AAPL!

• Reply 36 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mr O View Post

Ah, the concept got in the way of the content.

It would've looked cool to have it in the final five seconds though. It is a nice closure.

As for the other stuff: The add is too fast paced. The music is overkill as well. It's hyper hipster stuff.

The word hipster way overused, I doesn't mean what you think it means (borrowed from Princes Bride)

• Reply 37 of 40
    I'm so sick of this type of ad. I swear I can't turn them off fast enough.

I'm also totally over those emotional tugging heart strings ads they alternate with.

It's all so forced.
    I think they should just go dark for 12-18 months. They don't need this crap at the moment.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    rogifan wrote: »
    So basically no matter what Apple does people are going to hate it..

That's entirely my point. Here they are trying to sell a product the entire world knows about. They know what it does, how it works, and if by some incredibly small chance they don't they know someone who does. " hey man you should get an iPad"

Ads are a no win situation at the moment.

" Phil, we are going to need an amazing ad in about 18 months. Start working on it now and wow the shit out if us. Don't let us down bud. "
  • Reply 39 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleinsiderFrm View Post

I'm so sick of this type of ad. I swear I can't turn them off fast enough.

I'm also totally over those emotional tugging heart strings ads they alternate with.

It's all so forced.

I think they should just go dark for 12-18 months. They don't need this crap at the moment.

Apple doesn't advertise that much (compared to Samsung at least...) , so should be quite easy to avoid their ads.

• Reply 40 of 40

It got the message across, but I really thought there was something wrong with the image at first. I thought, "Why is the image getting smaller and smaller? This is getting uncomfortable to watch."