Square merchants in the US post sales of $100M in a single day

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2014
Small businesses using Square's popular iPhone- and iPad-connected credit card readers combined to sell more than $100 million worth of goods and services in a single day, the company announced on Wednesday.

Food the most popular item on that day, with payment for nearly 1.5 million meals and 430,215 cups of coffee flowing through the app. 202,692 people got haircuts, while 72,601 purchased new clothes.

Some 4,445 pairs of shoes, 55,021 can rides, and 648 tattoos were also sold. Consumers paid for 25,569 services, such as home repairs.

Along with the lofty sales figures, Square highlighted some other equally impressive statistics. One out of every four active credit or debit cards in the U.S. has been used with Square in 2014, for instance, and Square merchants would be the 13th-largest retailer in the country if taken together.

Square has long been viewed as a likely acquisition target for Apple, and the Cupertino company reportedly "considered" such a purchase before ultimately passing on the opportunity. The two firms are working together, however, as Square announced last month that it was working to give merchants using Square Register the ability to accept NFC-based Apple Pay payments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    I'm not all that sure that Apple actually needs Square.
    I think Square is better as a standalone enterprise. Doing fantastically well all by itself.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Quote:

Food was the most popular item on that day, with payment for nearly 1.5 million meals and 430,215 cups of coffee flowing through the app. 202,692 people got haircuts, while 72,601 purchased new clothes.

Some 4,445 pairs of shoes, 55,021 can rides, and 648 tattoos were also sold. Consumers paid for 25,569 services, such as home repairs.

This is my biggest reason to not use Square: it knows everything I paid for. How hard is it for advertisers to buy access to Square, and that when they learn that I frequently purchase products from brand A or visit store X, they will push for "have you considered brand B and location Y?"

• Reply 3 of 12
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    It's a pos terminal connected to a retailers system. It is just one of many, many swipe systems.
    The big difference being that it connects to an iphone or iPad.
    It is not big brother.i
  • Reply 4 of 12
    "55,021 can rides" - what is a 'can ride', anyone? Is that an American term? Or perhaps a misspelling for 'cab ride'?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    zoffdino wrote: »
    This is my biggest reason to not use Square: it knows everything I paid for. How hard is it for advertisers to buy access to Square, and that when they learn that I frequently purchase products from brand A or visit store X, they will push for "have you considered brand B and location Y?"

Lay off the South American snow, and the paranoia will subside.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoffdino View Post

You do realize that anytime you use a credit card, this happens.   It's not characteristic of just Square.

• Reply 7 of 12
    "55,021 can rides" - what is a 'can ride', anyone? Is that an American term? Or perhaps a misspelling for 'cab ride'?

Pretty sure it's supposed to be cab rides. :)
  • Reply 8 of 12

That's when you're on vacation, and take a ride with a Jamaican, a Dominican, a Puerto Rican, and even an American. :lol:
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

...a Puerto Rican, and even an American. image

And even the same.

• Reply 10 of 12
    And even the same.

You and I would would probably wreck a party. :lol:
  • Reply 11 of 12

I like the graphic. The fonts suggest the handwritten creative stuff found at small stores and restaurants and the "services" US map is clever.

• Reply 12 of 12
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    If you come up short of cash, you can whack your spouse's / SO's credit card, receive the money in a day or two and not incur cash advance interest rates...