Rare working Apple-1 originally sold by Steve Jobs auctioned off for $365K

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2014
A vintage Apple-1 computer with documentation proving it was sold directly by late tech guru Steve Jobs for $600 in 1976 brought in $365,000 when the hammer fell at a New York auction on Thursday, falling short of estimates.

Expected by auction house Christie's to fetch between $400,000 to $600,000, the Ricketts Apple-1 Personal Computer, named after original owner Charles Ricketts, is one of approximately 50 surviving models known to be in working condition.

The computer went through a total of five owners including Ricketts, the last being seller Bob Luther, who bought the Apple-1 from a sheriff's sale in December 2004 for $7,600, reports Computerworld. Also included in the lot was a cancelled check dating back to July 27, 1976. Made out to Apple Computer, the check bears a note from Ricketts reading "Purchased July 1976 from Steve Jobs in his parents' garage in Los Altos," proving the item's provenance.

Also part of the auction was a collection of original Apple documents sold by cofounder Ron Wayne. Among the papers were proofs of the Apple-1 manual, the original company logo and designs for an Apple II case.

Today's $365,000 gavel price is far from a record-setting Apple-1 auction conducted by Bonhams in October that saw the Henry Ford organization successfully bid $905,000 to take museum in Dearborn, Mich. That example was expected to fetch between $300,000 and $500,000.

Apple-1 hardware prices have gone through the roof as a result of Apple's unparalleled success over the past decade. In 2013, an Apple 1 unit sold for $671,400 to an anonymous German buyer. Prior to that, a working example brought in $640,000.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Bargain!!!

• Reply 2 of 13

Can it be upgraded to Yosemite?

• Reply 3 of 13
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member

I'm pretty sure they were $666.66, not $600.

• Reply 4 of 13

Insane - somebody has waaay too much money.

• Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

I am pretty sure the canceled check proves that Steve Jobs' personally sold the Apple I for $600 out of his garage to Charles Ricketts.  Other Apple I's may have been sold for $666.66, but the one Jobs sold out of the garage was $600.

http://www.macgeek.org/museum/appleone/apple_1_checks.jpg

• Reply 6 of 13
    Aren't there starving children and like malaria and stuff to cure? Kids now don't even know what a transistor is much less an integrated circuit... I hope museum go-ers learn something from this purchase...
  • Reply 7 of 13
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

At that time it wasn't worth even $600. to me.

That was 2 months rent on my apartment.

• Reply 8 of 13
    WOW! really, "one of approximately 50 surviving models known to be in working condition."

They only sold 50 in total, so all 50 survived and are still working?
  • Reply 9 of 13

memories - ...circuits & soddering...

• Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mretondo View Post

WOW! really, "one of approximately 50 surviving models known to be in working condition."

They only sold 50 in total, so all 50 survived and are still working?

http://www.willegal.net/appleii/apple1-originals.htm

• Reply 11 of 13

I have a System 7 disc that I'm selling for $5000.0

• Reply 12 of 13
    Originally Posted by iLoveStuff View Post

I have a System 7 disc that I'm selling for $5000.0

I have a System 7.6.1 disc that I’m selling for $4999.99.

BOOM, CAPITALISM.

• Reply 13 of 13
    And I have an original 1GB iPod shuffle I'm selling for $25. Booyah!