Apple's Beats buyout propelled Dr. Dre to the most profitable year of any musician ever

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'd like to know where he got his doctoral degree, personally.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Same place as Dr. Phil.

and Dr. Ink.

wtf Gary wtf

• Reply 22 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

This is the world we live in today.

We've had the Age of Dinosaurs (allegedly).

We've had the Age of Enlightenment.

And now: 

The Age of Thuggery.

You could almost say we've come full circle.

Im sure you're more thugged out than Dre now a days... He said it himself in the Chronic 2001 "I aint a thug, how much tupac in you do you got?"

Calling a rapper a thug because he raps is like calling Leo DiCaprio a slave owner cause he did 12 years a slave.

• Reply 23 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by justp1ayin View Post

Quote:

And now: 

The Age of Thuggery.

Im sure you're more hugged out than Dre now a days... He said it himself in the Chronic 2001 "I aint a thug, how much tupac in you do you got?"

Calling a rapper a thug because he raps is like calling Leo DiCaprio a slave owner cause he did 12 years a slave.

The only person calling a rapper a thug in this thread is you.

• Reply 24 of 65
    Quote:

Yeah? and what else hater?

• Reply 25 of 65

bon jovi?!?

• Reply 26 of 65
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Not for nuthin'! I'm as baffled by this deal as the day it was announced. ?
  • Reply 27 of 65

You wrote, "The Age of Thuggery." Are we to believe that you aren't referring to Andre Young? :rolleyes:
  • Reply 28 of 65
    And Seinfeld's money wasn't made as a comedian.

Seinfeld money was definitely made by Seinfeld as a comedian. The entire show focused around a caricature of himself as a stand-up comic. It was a situation comedy.
  • Reply 29 of 65
    When Young finally gets a net worth of 1 billion dollars I have to assume Forbes (or some other periodical or website) will run a story labeled, "Nuthin' But a 'B' Thang," and that will be sad.
  • Reply 30 of 65
    solipsismy wrote: »

You wrote, "The Age of Thuggery." Are we to believe that you aren't referring to Andre Young? :rolleyes:

I don't know who Andre Young is, but you seem to be implying that he is a thug.
  • Reply 31 of 65
    I don't know who Andre Young is, but you seem to be implying that he is a thug.

Your ignorance aside, to whom are you calling a thug in your comment?
  • Reply 32 of 65
    Dre publicly beat up a woman in the early 90s at a party while he had his bodyguards hold off other people at the party from helping her at gunpoint. Dre has apparently never shown any contrition for the act and has even made public jokes about it. So the poster is probably referring to Dre specifically and not rappers in general.
  • Reply 33 of 65
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Seinfeld money was definitely made by Seinfeld as a comedian. The entire show focused around a caricature of himself as a stand-up comic. It was a situation comedy.

And Dr. Dre's money was made in the music industry.

What's the issue here... should Dr. Dre not be considered a musician on that list?

I mean... he didn't make his money from other industries like farming or truck driving.

How is Forbes defining what a musician is? Maybe we should start there.
  • Reply 34 of 65
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

And now: 

The Age of Thuggery.

There were many more thugs a century ago.
  • Reply 35 of 65
    And Dr. Dre's money was made in the music industry.

What's the issue here... should Dr. Dre not be considered a musician on that list?

I mean... he didn't make his money from other industries like farming or truck driving.

How is Forbes defining what a musician is? Maybe we should start there.

The issue is saying that Jerry Seinfeld didn't make his money from being a comedian.
  • Reply 36 of 65
    the only reason apple bought beats was because lovine came as a package and bose didn't want to sell. both beats and bose headphones are already being replaced by master and dynamics.
  • Reply 37 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by justp1ayin View Post

Im sure you're more thugged out than Dre now a days... He said it himself in the Chronic 2001 "I aint a thug, how much tupac in you do you got?"

Or maybe because he beat up a woman (Dee Barnes) and threw her down the stairs.

• Reply 38 of 65

"I believe, play a small part in folding urban culture into the broader American culture. There is a substantial disparity, and an even bigger perceived disparity, between these two aspects of American culture (which most Americans are blissfully unaware of), which is a substantial contributor to the fact that America is #1 in the world in the rate of child abuse, per capita prison population, and teen pregnancy."

Urban Culture, is that what it is called? Does that include Beats up women by Dr Dre. and throwing them down the stairs?  My son wanted Beats, which to me are so aptly named, I declined and got him Bose instead.  I guess as a family I don't want any connection with urban culture, we're just not cool enough.

• Reply 39 of 65
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

This quite amazing.  He is the highest paid 'musician' ever and I have never knowingly heard anything he has done.  I have seen his name in the media, but that is it.

• Reply 40 of 65
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    cnocbui wrote: »
    This quite amazing.  He is the highest paid 'musician' ever and I have never knowingly heard anything he has done.  I have seen his name in the media, but that is it.

He's more of a producer than a musician. If you've heard Eminem's songs then you've heard Dre's music.