T-Mobile announces new 'Data Stash' rollover mobile data plans starting with 10GB for free

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2014
U.S. wireless provider T-Mobile held its latest "Un-carrier" event on Tuesday, announcing new "Data Stash" plans that will roll over unused data from month to month, rather than resetting the cap for each billing cycle.

Each Data Stash plan will start with 10 gigabytes of 4G LTE data for free, T-Mobile revealed. The new plans are included at no extra charge starting in January 2015 for every new and existing T-Mobile customer on an eligible postpaid Simple Choice plan, including individuals, families or businesses.

"Can you imagine your gas station siphoning unused gas from your car each month? The US wireless industry is even worse," said John Legere, president and CEO for T-Mobile. "Americans have been gamed by the carriers into buying huge data plans - all to avoid getting screwed with overage penalties. Only to find out they bought more than they need which is then confiscated by the carrier. For the consumer it's lose, lose.

"That data is rightfully yours. And we're putting an end to this appalling industry practice today. With Data Stash, when you buy additional high-speed data, there's no need to lose what you don't use."

Data Stash will apply to Simple Choice plans with 3 gigabytes of data or more for smartphones, and 1 gigabyte of data or more for tablets. Each month, any unused high-speed data, rounded up to the nearest megabyte, will roll into their Data Stash automatically.

There's also no limit to how much data users can collect in their Data Stash over a 12-month period. Users who go over on their monthly allotment will automatically start tapping into their data deposits.

In the fine print, T-Mobile notes that data does not begin carrying over until the free 10 gigabyte allotment runs out. The free data promotion is available until Dec. 31, 2015.

"Like every Un-carrier move we make, Data Stash also came from listening to customers," added Legere. "This year on Twitter, customers asked the carriers to create a program to roll data forward more than 40,000 times. So this isn't rocket science. It's just that we seem to be the only company in this industry that cares enough to listen. That's fine by me."

T-Mobile also revealed on Tuesday that its LTE footprint has expanded to reach 260 million Americans, with another 10 million added in just the last 60 days. The carrier's ultra-fast Wideband LTE has also been rolled out in 121 metropolitan areas, with speeds of up to 100 megabits per second reported in the New York City metro area.

In an effort to shake up the U.S. wireless industry, T-Mobile has made a series of so-called "Un-carrier" announcements, with Tuesday's Data Stash reveal being the eighth. This year alone, T-Mobile revealed Wi-Fi calling on compatible handsets, including Apple's iPhone, as well as free streaming from music services like iTunes Radio.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    "Rollover minutes" that will actually be able to be used. I'm surprised it took this long and happy it's finally here.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    Sitting back waiting patiently for AT&T and Verizon to follow suit
  • Reply 3 of 35

This only took NEARLY A DECADE. Finally. Now everyone will do it.

I can’t wait to have a terabyte backed up. 

• Reply 4 of 35

This is what real competition looks like. The mobile industry is great for consumers right now.

Comcast on the other hand just keeps ramming the stick further in.

• Reply 5 of 35
    Won't help me as i usually spend all of my 3GB ahead of time. :(
  • Reply 6 of 35

Don't count on Rogers or Bell in Canada doing this sort of thing anytime soon. 

• Reply 7 of 35
    I am very glad ATT was not allowed to buy T-mobile because you know this never would have happened if they had.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    What does "extra paid unused mean"? Does this apply to your normal data plan or is it only if you purchase additional data and don't use it all?
  • Reply 9 of 35
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

What does "extra paid unused mean"? Does this apply to your normal data plan or is it only if you purchase additional data and don't use it all?

The extra data for which you are paying rolls over. If you’re getting a free monthly gig or something, that doesn’t. Anything you pay for as part of the plan will.

It’s just vague enough that the above will hold up in court, so that’s probably what they’re after.

• Reply 10 of 35
    muaddib wrote: »
    I am very glad ATT was not allowed to buy T-mobile because you know this never would have happened if they had.
    Indeed. Score one for the Obama Justice Department. This is precisely why I wanted the merger blocked. I hope they do the same with Comcast.

I won't hesitate to port my number to T-Mobile and pay the early termination fee if AT&T fails to follow suit. The data robbery must come to an end.
  • Reply 11 of 35

I really like seeing how competitive T-Mobile has been lately. It's just too bad their LTE coverage is terrible compared to AT&T and Verizon, otherwise I would switch. 

• Reply 12 of 35
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

The extra data for which you are paying rolls over. If you’re getting a free monthly gig or something, that doesn’t. Anything you pay for as part of the plan will.

It’s just vague enough that the above will hold up in court, so that’s probably what they’re after.

I don't know what T-mobiles plans are but My current AT&T plan is 6GB/mo. Would this mean if I didn't use up all my 6GB in a month they'd roll over what I didn't use? I'd love it if a carrier gave you the option to either roll over unused data or get a refund for the portion not used.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    Too bad T-Mobile STILL has 2G or EDGE where I live, yet when I first got service years ago I was promised they had it, then I was promised they'd have it by the end of last year. Well, already gonna be 2015 and still no 4G or LTE here. They're the only carrier that hasn't added 4G here. Hell, Verizon has LTE here, and AT&T has 4g that's hitting about 15 mbps, yet I'm still stuck with speeds below 0.2 mbps
  • Reply 14 of 35

I don't know what T-mobiles plans are but My current AT&T plan is 6GB/mo. Would this mean if I didn't use up all my 6GB in a month they'd roll over what I didn't use?

If that’s the amount for which you’re paying, yep. My plan with Verizon, for example, has me pay for 3GB, but I get an extra 2GB free per month. So when Verizon does this, if they use the same terms, I could only roll over anything left from the 3GB, even if I still had the extra 2 unused.

I'd love it if a carrier gave you the option to either roll over unused data or get a refund for the portion not used.

I can only imagine that we’ll see all of the Big Four do this by the end of Q1 2015.

• Reply 15 of 35
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

I don't know what T-mobiles plans are but My current AT&T plan is 6GB/mo. Would this mean if I didn't use up all my 6GB in a month they'd roll over what I didn't use? I'd love it if a carrier gave you the option to either roll over unused data or get a refund for the portion not used.

AT&T does this with minutes so maybe they'll do it for data.  

• Reply 16 of 35

Very nice, didn't see this one coming. Rather than bumping up the monthly data allotments, they're getting creative with how they count the data. Rolling over unused data is just the latest move that adds value to T-Mobile's lower priced plans. With unlimited music streaming and speed testing, and now rollover data, a 1 or 3 GB plan on T-Mobile goes further than competing plans, even though they might now look similar pricewise. Even though T-Mobile doesn't charge overage fees, it doesn't hurt to help customers avoid throttling.

So far, T-Mobile has also made their most recent "Uncarrier" offerings available to prepaid customers as well. Would be nice to have an extra pool of data available just in case I need more than the 5 GB on my current prepaid plan. But, with postpaid plans getting 10 GB of data up front, I somehow doubt that prepaid plans will get the rollover data.

Even without rollover data, T-Mobile had already stretched out my data when they went to unlimited music streaming. Before, the average monthly usage counted against my cap was 3-4 GB. Now, it's closer to 1-2 GB per month.

Overage charges were one reason (among many) why I chose not to go with AT&T or Verizon. Superior network or not, I never liked their anti-consumer practices.

• Reply 17 of 35
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    How exactly is this "un-carrier" if it only applies to postpaid (i.e. service with CONTRACT) plans? What a sham.

I'm on prepaid because I hate contracts. I only pay $40 for 500MB data, unlimited text and minutes. I never use up all my data and always thought that it was shady to not rollover the data used that I *paid* for. I'm surprised a class action suit hasn't been brought up over this.
  • Reply 18 of 35
    Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

How exactly is this "un-carrier" if it only applies to postpaid (i.e. service with CONTRACT) plans?

Because no other carrier does it.

• Reply 19 of 35
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    jsmythe00 wrote: »
    I've gotten more from my $110 on t-mobile than anything att offered for the same price. Here's the extras for the SAME cost

A second line for my kid
    Included tethering for my iPad
    Free music streaming
    WiFi calling
    And now rollover data!!!

Nice tmo!

You missed the free ASUS router you can also get from them. I picked one up a couple weeks ago and it didn't cost me a penny.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    boltsfan17 wrote: »
    I really like seeing how competitive T-Mobile has been lately. It's just too bad their LTE coverage is terrible compared to AT&T and Verizon, otherwise I would switch. 

It is sort of odd that you would say that. they did a study last year with Sprint, AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile. T-Mobile on average was second only to AT&T and only slightly. It really just depends on where you're located.