Google Wallet adds Touch ID support, Amazon brings Goodreads to Kindle for iOS

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2014
Two of tech's biggest names unveiled significant updates to some flagship iOS apps this week, with Google allowing Wallet users to authenticate using their fingerprint and Amazon adding Goodreads integration and unlimited reading to its Kindle app.

Google Wallet

Google Wallet users can now replace the PIN code used to unlock the app with Apple's Touch ID system, though they will not be able to use Touch ID to authenticate transactions. Alongside Touch ID support, the app has been updated for the new screen resolutions of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.

Google has also added the ability to use Wallet to split the cost of transactions with friends, as well as offline access to loyalty cards. In addition, the search giant promises that a bug preventing some users from opening the app has been dispatched with.

Google Wallet version 8.174.19 is available now as a free, 21-megabyte download from the App Store.

Kindle

In preparation for the holidays, Amazon as added a number of discovery features to its Kindle app for iOS. New Goodreads integration means that users can get personalized book recommendations based on other books and genres that they like, while they can also share reading progress and snippets on the reading-focused social network from within the Kindle app.

Those reading Kindle books on Apple's iPad now have access to a new Book Browser view, which shows information --?including descriptions and customer reviews --?when tapping on a book's cover. The app will also provide information about the next volume when users finish a book that is part of a series.

Additionally, the app now supports Kindle Unlimited via the Book Browser, while Audible audiobooks can now be played as they download, rather than waiting for the entire transfer to complete.

Kindle version 4.6 is available now as a free, 46.1-megabyte download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    I bet Google is sorely disappointed that they can't collect user's fingerprints.
  • Reply 2 of 9

Can someone explain why I would use Google Wallet if my phone supports ApplePay? 

• Reply 3 of 9
    wingswings Posts: 261member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Shames View Post

Can someone explain why I would use Google Wallet if my phone supports ApplePay? 

Because, some people want to turn on their phone and then RUN AN APP before they can make wireless payments. Makes them feel like they're in control or something.

• Reply 4 of 9
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member

Well I would love to have a contactless payment system on my iPhone, but I have an iPhone 5S which means it won't support ?Pay. However, I did check out Google Wallet, and it's a front-loading system into which I have to maintain a balance, like PayPal. Absolutely useless. If I could just sign up my credit card, I'd happily use it. But I'm not going to maintain a balance to enable an electronic payment system. NOT with Google. I just don't even understand why Google Wallet is even being discussed in the same breath with ?Pay.

• Reply 5 of 9
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member
    Quote:

Maybe the merchant has a special program for Google Wallet users. Maybe you have an iPhone 5s that has Touch ID, but doesn't support Apple Pay. Maybe you have an Apple Pay-compatible device, but your bank doesn't support it yet.

Probably more reasons, but those are three off the top of my head.

• Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

That is a really good question.

Also why is the Wallet app 21 megabytes?  21 megs seems awfully big for what it is.  There isn't a whole lot of fancy artwork or anything.

• Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Well I would love to have a contactless payment system on my iPhone, but I have an iPhone 5S which means it won't support ?Pay. However, I did check out Google Wallet, and it's a front-loading system into which I have to maintain a balance, like PayPal. Absolutely useless. If I could just sign up my credit card, I'd happily use it. But I'm not going to maintain a balance to enable an electronic payment system. NOT with Google. I just don't even understand why Google Wallet is even being discussed in the same breath with ?Pay.

That is not my experience.

I have a credit card on file with Wallet and it simply charges that credit card whenever I make a purchase.

• Reply 8 of 9
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

because google thinks it brain washed minions will continue using it on apple products even though they have better way.

• Reply 9 of 9
    I dont really get good reads.