Orlando Magic are first NBA team to support Apple Pay for in-arena purchases

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36

Not according to TS's post. At least that's what I got from the pictures posted.

The images he posted show a meter that is on the low end of the care-o-meter, but could still go down further to a point of couldn't care less. You wrote that you could care less, which means you do care.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,104member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Is there anyone that thinks that nascent NFC-based system only a few months on the market isn't going to be the de facto standard for how all NFC-based transactions are made between you, the retailer and your bank? If so, why?

It should be pointed out that Apple Pay builds on top of existing NFC infrastructure that was already supported by credit card issuers Visa, MasterCard, American Express (PayWave, etc.). Apple Pay has just been on the market for a few months, but NFC payments have been around before then.

Note that at the Apple Pay debut, there were many stories of people being able to use Apple Pay in retailers that did not support Apple Pay (some of those retailers eventually turned off their NFC systems, so no one could use NFC, even if it was just an NFC-equipped plastic card that had been working just fine).

That said, I expect this system to evolve based on consumer needs and new technologies, as well as the possible synergy with other NFC systems like mass transit systems, but again, the basic NFC infrastructure has been there for years.

The banking industry is heavily regulated and retail POS systems change glacially. Apple's approach in adapting Apple Pay to work with existing POS technology is a wiser approach than re-inventing the wheel in this case. I can still use my NFC-equipped plastic credit cards at these terminals even though I don't have an iPhone 6/6 Plus.

• Reply 23 of 36
    Quote:

The images he posted show a meter that is on the low end of the care-o-meter, but could still go down further to a point of couldn't care less. You wrote that you could care less, which means you do care.

Maybe he meant to say "I could care more about the NBA"?

• Reply 24 of 36
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DCGOO View Post

Home Depot accepts ApplePay. Has from Day 1.

Thanks, I'll have to remember to give that a try, got used to cash and have only had my 6 Plus for a couple of weeks now..

• Reply 25 of 36

Couldn't we all care more about something? Is there an upper limit to caring?
  • Reply 26 of 36
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

Quote:

Maybe he just spoke carelessly...?

• Reply 27 of 36
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Is there anyone that thinks that nascent NFC-based system only a few months on the market isn't going to be the de facto standard for how all NFC-based transactions are made between you, the retailer and your bank? If so, why?

With Apple Pay, there are currently some services missing that most merchants and some consumers want:
    • coupons and loyalty programs
    • customer purchase history
    • location aware recommendations/suggestions and current deals

Some merchant consortiums, additionally, want to track customers' locations within the stores -- and their buying habits.

Because Apple Pay provides anonymity for the customer -- the merchants cannot gather any of the above data ... through Apple Pay.

However, there are potential solutions for the merchants ...

The merchants could offer the above services, as follows:

When in-store, consumers could opt to recognize iBeacon offers, then opt to connect to the merchant's website and/or iPhone app via in-store WiFi and avail himself of the merchant's services by furnishing an identifying ID.

Thus, the consumer could shop, and take advantage of merchant services -- rewards would be applied (and rewards data gathered) at checkout ... but the checkout, through Apple Pay would be: Secure. Private, Fast and Convenient -- with no risk to the consumer.

In effect, by separating the shopping/buying process from the paying process -- the needs of both the consumer and the merchant can be met.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EmAn View Post

I used ApplePay two weeks ago at the Barclays Center during a Brooklyn Nets game...

Me too. This isn't news.

• Reply 29 of 36
    Quote:

Couldn't we all care more about something? Is there an upper limit to caring?

I guess when you get below zero on the care meter, you start going from not caring to hating............fascinating....

• Reply 30 of 36
    boredumb wrote: »

Maybe he just spoke carelessly...?

I don't especially care one way or the other, but yes, some people do tend to be rather carefree with their grammar.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    Quote:

I wrote "I could care less" because I mean precisely that. I could give a shit about the NBA.

• Reply 32 of 36

I wrote "I could care less" because I mean precisely that. I could give a shit about the NBA.

So you care about the NBA.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

I could care less about the NBA

me too, i could, but i don't.

"just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand" - Homer Simpson.

• Reply 34 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Theodore Davis View Post

Me too. This isn't news.

It is to people who are planning on going to The Amway Center and others in general interested in reading about the goings on involving Apple.

• Reply 35 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

With Apple Pay, there are currently some services missing that most merchants and some consumers want:

• coupons and loyalty programs

• customer purchase history

• location aware recommendations/suggestions and current deals

Some merchant consortiums, additionally, want to track customers' locations within the stores -- and their buying habits.

Because Apple Pay provides anonymity for the customer -- the merchants cannot gather any of the above data ... through Apple Pay.

However, there are potential solutions for the merchants ...

The merchants could offer the above services, as follows:

When in-store, consumers could opt to recognize iBeacon offers, then opt to connect to the merchant's website and/or iPhone app via in-store WiFi and avail himself of the merchant's services by furnishing an identifying ID.

Thus, the consumer could shop, and take advantage of merchant services -- rewards would be applied (and rewards data gathered) at checkout ... but the checkout, through Apple Pay would be: Secure. Private, Fast and Convenient -- with no risk to the consumer.

In effect, by separating the shopping/buying process from the paying process -- the needs of both the consumer and the merchant can be met.

"The merchants could offer the above services"

Some already do: via Passbook. For ex.Starbucks, though they stop short of having Apple Pay and Walgreens which seems to have gone all in with an app and Apple Pay both.

• Reply 36 of 36

What aspects of the NBA do you care about?