Apple releases third beta of iOS 8.2 with latest WatchKit support

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2014
Developers on Thursday were supplied with a new beta of iOS 8.2 as well as Xcode 6.2, providing the latest updates to Apple's WatchKit tools for creating Apple Watch apps.

iOS 8.2 beta 3 is identified as build 12D5452a. It's available to install over the air from a registered iOS device, and will also be made available to download through Apple's iOS Developer Center.

Apple has warned users that iOS 8.2 remains a pre-release beta, and should only be deployed on devices dedicated for beta software development.

In addition, Xcode 6.2 beta 3 is also available to download with WatchKit support. It's identified as 6C101.

The release comes just over a week after the second beta of iOS 8.2 was provided to developers. That brought additional support for the new WatchKit software development kit, and fixed a number of issues related to international languages.

The first iOS 8.2 beta debuted WatchKit support in mid-November, giving developers their first crack at creating applications for the forthcoming Apple Watch. Developers can create custom third-party applications, Glances, and actionable notifications for the upcoming hardware, set to hit the market in early 2015.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    I think they should be spending time fixing bugs related to their current products before adding features for some future gizmo. iOS 8 is still buggy as hell.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    tokyojimu wrote: »
    I think they should be spending time fixing bugs related to their current products before adding features for some future gizmo. iOS 8 is still buggy as hell.

1) So they should hold off releasing ?Watch until every bug is removed from iOS? :???:

2) Why assume adding features for the upcoming ?Watch are mutually exclusive to fixing bugs and increasing performance in other parts of iOS?
  • Reply 3 of 19
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member

1) As an AAPL shareholder, I say no.

2) They are likely different teams/groups within the iOS engineering division.

• Reply 4 of 19
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    When I view a video full screen in Safari it doesn't let me close the video. If I click done, nothing happens. The only way to get out of the video is to close out of Safari and go back in. Anyone else have this issue? I hope it's fixed in 8.2.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

When I view a video full screen in Safari it doesn't let me close the video. If I click done, nothing happens. The only way to get out of the video is to close out of Safari and go back in. Anyone else have this issue?

Yup. And if anything interrupts it, it will not restart without closing out the page and reloading. In previous releases, it would just pick up where it left off. One of many many bugs I have to deal with on a daily basis.

• Reply 6 of 19
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member

I'm trying to figure out what most of these comments have to do with the WatchKit preview in iOS 8.2?

• Reply 7 of 19
    auxio wrote: »
    I'm trying to figure out what most of these comments have to do with the WatchKit preview in iOS 8.2?

Good god I hope 8.2 isn't just about WatchKit. I hope it contains bug fixes too.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    True, thought about that today too. It's the iOS version where I've seen the most bugs. Keyboards especially, but also changing message threads in messages and even loading recent emails.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    rogifan wrote: »
    When I view a video full screen in Safari it doesn't let me close the video. If I click done, nothing happens. The only way to get out of the video is to close out of Safari and go back in. Anyone else have this issue? I hope it's fixed in 8.2.

Had this issue as well. Another bug I encounter with videos almost all the time is that I can't scrub through them, it doesn't work!
  • Reply 10 of 19

iOS 7.1 became more stable finally but with iOS 8, Mobile Safari started to crash all the time again. 

• Reply 11 of 19

Too right.

I'm still getting soft reboots in 8.1.2. The keyboard regularly covers text in first and third party apps. Some apps default to a different language if more than one is installed, with no way to change it.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    clemynx wrote: »
    Had this issue as well. Another bug I encounter with videos almost all the time is that I can't scrub through them, it doesn't work!

Yeah there are definitely issues with video scrubbing. Not sure why as this stuff worked just fine in iOS 7.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    It's coming... Resistance is futile.
  • Reply 14 of 19

Written from a perspective blind to how software develop teams work and how they are separated in stages to keep multiple projects going forward.

No one working on WatchKit API Frameworks [Architects] fix bugs.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    I also admit I'd like to see Apple do a 'Snow Leopard' on iOS.

The video issues that Rogifan mentioned earlier, intermittent Multitasking Gestures and (sound) Change with Buttons, text selection issues, the unread mail message counter not clearing when mails are read, difficulties pasting into text entry boxes like this because the option to paste disappears almost immediately after releasing, occasional display/layout issues like cursors appearing in the wrong area.

And then, in Yosemite, we have the blasted Favorites window staying down and obscuring search results done in the Address Bar.

Little things. But little things that I (personally) use on a regular basis that make the user experience frustrating.

Here's to hoping that they get knocked on the head soon.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    You're assuming the problems are with the OS.

Safari is NOT part of the operating system. It is an application that comes with it but it's Webkit frameworks that's part of the OS. I have the video issue every now and again but the only other issue I can think of which would be down to the OS would be when I try to open the camera from the Unlock screen it flashes then disappears. It does work if I go into the camera app itself though. Other than that I can't think of any real issues I have.

Apple Watch support needs to be started now considering the release isn't supposed to be too far away.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Minor bugs only on my 6+.
    After activating my 6+ from my 5s backup I did a fresh back up on the 6+ then erased 6+ & restored it, seemed to help
  • Reply 18 of 19
    rogifan wrote: »
    Does rotating the unit to portrait fix it? I have to do that on a number of Safari pages to get it responsive again...
  • Reply 19 of 19
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Good god I hope 8.2 isn't just about WatchKit. I hope it contains bug fixes too.

If I wanted to hear about all the problems people are having with iOS 8, I'd head over to the Apple support forums or hang around my local Apple Store.  I was hoping there'd be some people talking about their experiences with the latest iteration of WatchKit in the Xcode 6.2 preview.  But I guess I'll have to head over to the Apple developer forums for that.