Apple's iPhone 6 Plus stars behind the scenes on Erno Laszlo's 'Holiday Wonders' campaign

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2014
The latest holiday advertising campaign for luxury cosmetics brand Erno Laszlo -- one of the most legendary names in skincare -- captures winter life in New York City through the lens of an iPhone 6 Plus.

Apple's newest "phablet" was used to record slow-motion, grayscale vignettes of the holiday season in Manhattan. Included are scenes from the SoHo neighborhood, Rockefeller Center's famous christmas tree, horse and carriage rides in Central Park, and shopping on Fifth Avenue, where Apple's flagship retail store makes a cameo appearance in a reflection from department store Bergdorf Goodman's window display.

"iPhone 6 Plus was instrumental in helping us achieve our creative vision for this project--and do it in a brilliantly fast and effective way," Kenan Aktulun of advertising agency Truth NYC said. "It opened up possibilities by allowing us to explore the life and energy of the holiday season in New York, in a truly mobile way."

It is not the first time one of Apple's mobile devices has been used to shoot advertisements for a luxury brand. The iPhone 5s recorded a "short documentary" for British automaker Bentley, as well as capturing London fashion house Burberry's Spring/Summer 2014 runway show, among others.

The iPhone 6 Plus's upgraded camera system makes it even more suited to such activities than its predecessor. The 5.5-inch handset adds phase-detection autofocus as well as a new optical image stabilization system.

While not a household name, Erno Laszlo is renowned in cosmetics circles. The company's namesake was one of the world's first "celebrity dermatologists" -- counting stars like Marilyn Monroe, Audrey Hepburn, and Grace Kelly among his clients --?and the brand remains strong today.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Better than any recent Apple spots. And sells the iPhone camera better!
  • Reply 2 of 13

Well done.

• Reply 3 of 13
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    A bit of the look of a favorite NYC photographer:
    http://nythroughthelens.com

Though I believe she uses dSLRs. Ah Vesuvio, okay now I'm hungry. 8-)
  • Reply 4 of 13
    How do you film in SoHo without catching any of the beautiful women in the area? ;)
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

How do you film in SoHo without catching any of the beautiful women in the area? image

Shoot before noon....

• Reply 6 of 13
    jfc1138 wrote: »

Shoot before noon....

That's why I never make a genius bar appointment before 1 PM. :lol:
  • Reply 7 of 13
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

But Victor Laszlo is so much cooler: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0034583/

Oh, and as for makeup, two words: "cat eyes."

• Reply 8 of 13
    Shame the slow motion on the iPhone 6 Plus is so jerky; it makes it very uncomfortable to watch. When you've seen how smooth slow motion can be now in nature programmes, it rather pales in comparison.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Shame the slow motion on the iPhone 6 Plus is so jerky; it makes it very uncomfortable to watch. When you've seen how smooth slow motion can be now in nature programmes, it rather pales in comparison.

You might want to pay a bit more for your network connection to get the speed up: the slo-mo looks smooth on my high speed university network.

• Reply 10 of 13
    jfc1138 wrote: »

You might want to pay a bit more for your network connection to get the speed up: the slo-mo looks smooth on my high speed university network.

I have 100Mb, so it's unlikely to be my connection.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    I think indeed the slo-mo feature on the iPhone 6 is a little bit crappy ... The image quality degrades and you can feel it compensates for a slower frame rate. There is an under the hood software tweening.

But of course you can't expect the quality of a $ 50.000 Phantom Flex.

For me the only disappointed in the iPhone 6 plus.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I have 100Mb, so it's unlikely to be my connection.

It looked perfectly fine to me, and I'm on a 75 Mbps connection via my cable company, using my 2010 15" MBP through a new Time Capsule. 

• Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post

It looked perfectly fine to me, and I'm on a 75 Mbps connection via my cable company, using my 2010 15" MBP through a new Time Capsule. 

OTOH the some of the LIGHTS do flicker, but those light points are a separate issue, to me anyway. The slo-mo of the people is seamless.