Apple's latest Mac Pro continues to cause problems for professional users

Comments

• Reply 21 of 134
    z3r0 wrote: »

Well it was a lot easier to replace GPU's back in the day ;)

1) In the Mac Pros with PCI but there are a lot of GPUs on Mac notebooks that have had issues.

2) Aren't the GPUs still on socketed boards that Apple could replace them faiy easily if need be? (I'll have to check iFixit again)
  • Reply 22 of 134
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    You know, I heard about this from this one guy's wive's cousin, twice removed, who saw a tweet about it on Twitter, from some guy who posted about it on Facebook after watching it in a YouTube clip.

So it's obviously pretty serious.
  • Reply 23 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Yep, because there was never any GPU issues with any previous Mac¡

The GPU in my 2007 iMac is faulty but the problem never showed up until I tried to upgrade to 10.6.3.

It was past the warranty date... meaning I've been stuck with 10.6.2 all of these years (I didn't feel like spending the money to get it fixed).

First time I have ever had a faulty Mac (and last time as well... so far).

• Reply 24 of 134
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,102member
    I think it's time for Apple to split into two companies- a mobile company and a computer company. Apple isn't giving as much attention and thought to the Mac anymore. This shows in making OS X more like iOS (blah!) instead of making iOS more like OS X. I don't need full screen Messages, Contacts, etc. apps for my 27" Cinema Display. In fact many full screen apps on my Mac are over 50% blank space. So silly.

And iTunes?? It's a total mess!! What used to be one of the friendliest, easiest to use pieces of software is now one of the most convoluted inefficient applications that Apple has released.
  • Reply 25 of 134

Jeez...

From the title of this thread, you would think that all hell had broke lose.  This for a VERY small percentage of professional users ... and for them this sucks.  Hopefully ATI, BM and Apple will figure this out quickly and get these folks back up and running.

Otherwise, this thread was just click bait.

Hey AppleInsider, if you really want to give us some inside info, tell us when the next version of the Mac Pro is coming out and what will the  changes be.  That info would be useful.  

Apologies to those that have this problem.

• Reply 26 of 134
    Unbelievable that this article is written around one package.

It would be helpful if Appleinsider would bash the appropriate company for the end users issues, rather than simply targeting Apple. BMD has a long history of being very sloppy and not working within industry standards.

Resolve has been know to contain a large number of bugs.
    It can't even import a number of raw camera files properly, let alone process them in a way that looks right.

Cdn Bob.
  • Reply 27 of 134
    You would think a company with $150B in the bank and the highest valuation on the planet would be able to dedicate some resources to the Mac Pro. No?
  • Reply 28 of 134
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Well stated! I'm surprised at the willingness to blame Apple for the failure of exactly one third party product on apparently one and only one video card option. Anybody with half a mind should realize that there is at least a possibility here that Apple has nothing to do with this failure.

In a perfect world it would be nice to see Apple deliver drivers that can't be killed by third party users. However that is a lot harder to do than many imagine.
    IMHO I don't think this is another '...gate'.

I notice the part where the article says "which center primarily around OpenCL-driven color corrector DaVinci Resolve" and references to staff at Blackmagic commenting on hardware problems with Apple. Anyone reading Blackmagic blogs knows that company has been plagued with their own 'issues' relating to vertical line sensor problems. This all points to an industry on the bleeding edge of development and all sorts of issues relating to drivers and hardware incompatibilities.
    The overwhelming problem here is that it is apparently only one software package that does this. Who is to blame isn't as easy to define as some would like to believe. Apple may be the culprit but I do find it strange that the problem is reported to be on one card only.
    Nowhere in the article does it say a new Mac Pro running Apple software has any issues with graphics and believe me I have had MBPs with issues so I am not being a blind fanboy here. I have not once had an issue with Final Cut Pro X or related Apple software on my new Mac Pro, but then I am not running bleeding edge third party hardware or software ... just bleeding edge Apple video software. I would also add rendering 4K, and multiple layers at the same time, in FCProX barely gets my nMac Pro warm! Not to mention the Mac can happily do other tasks without even noticing the load.
    If there was a real overheating problem I would imagine you would see the whole screen become corrupted.
    Just my guess ... I suspect some software companies need to get with Apple and sort out how to correctly run on the nMac Pro.

In any event thanks for a rational response!
  • Reply 29 of 134
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rtamesis View Post

Quality control in both hardware and software seems to have gone down since Steve Jobs died. Tim Cook needs to make fixing this first a top priority before it becomes ingrained in the brand instead of releasing new products at a fast pace.

Guess the cracks in the Cube never happened, or was the fault of someone else. So was "antenna-gate" Cooks fault also even though Jobs was at the helm or are we blaming the media for sensationalism? Jobs was the greatest and we all miss him, but he wasn't perfect -- as no man is.

• Reply 30 of 134
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,102member

^^ Apple's entire product line is made up of nothing but third party components. Their processors, hard drives, video cards, displays, ram, etc. etc. So you are saying that any time there is a problem with an Apple hardware product, it should never be Apple's responsibility because they don't make the components themselves?

Yes, technology isn't perfect. And Apple will therefore never be perfect. But owning up to mistakes and taking measures to prevent them in the future is the responsible thing to do. And I'm sure Apple will remedy this, but, they are still responsible. And they still make products far superior to anything else out there.

• Reply 31 of 134
    For the price I don't think it's unreasonable for people to expect a lot more.

Price has nothing to do with it, it is impossible to deliver totally bug free drivers for things like video cards. That is why you see NVidia and AMD delivering new driver updates at regular intervals. Seriously if you haven't had to deal with a GPU driver bug in your lifetime you simply haven't tried hard enough. It doesn't matter what platform you are using eventually a driver bug will cause you problems.
  • Reply 32 of 134
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtamesis View Post

Quality control in both hardware and software seems to have gone down since Steve Jobs died. Tim Cook needs to make fixing this first a top priority before it becomes ingrained in the brand instead of releasing new products at a fast pace.

Yep, because there was never any GPU issues with any previous Mac¡

Not sure you intended it this way; but that sounds like you are actually kicking Apple (and maybe rightfully so?) while they're down. (?)

• Reply 33 of 134
    melgross wrote: »
    That Nvidia problem affected every company that used those units. I don't understand what this problem is from. If it's cooling, one would think that it would be easy to reproduce.

I was wondering where 2014's new Mac Pro was, as it should have been announced in November, or the latest, early December. At first, I thought it was Intel's delays with chips, but now I wonder if it's this problem instead. I wanted to upgrade this year to the new one, but now, I don't know what to think.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple hold off on a Mac Pro update until late in 2015. The goal would be a new round of the latest Xeons and GPUs. By that time all new technologies should have stabilized and ideally prices will remain viable. If Apple does this, IE wait until late 2015 they will have a lot of new tech available to them such as DDR4, maybe even LPDDR4, new GPUs, TB3 and the like. Sometime in 2015 AMD is expected to start shipping their new RAM technologies for use with GPUs.

What would Apple gain from waiting? A significant jump in performance that would make the upgrade worthwhile. I'm of the mind that volumes are so low on the Mac Pro that the minor updates of new Xeons alone might not be seen as worth it in Apples eyes. Instead give the entire platform a make over and the engineering is justified.

Hey we can dream!
  • Reply 34 of 134
    jblongz wrote: »
    I'm not happy for this issue.  However, I do hope it causes Apple to equip next generation with premium Nvidia Cuda cards.

What good would that do? You make an assumption first that NVidia doesn't have driver issues. The second assumption you make is that the problem is with something AMD supplied. We have no way of knowing right now who is responsible. Seriously it could be an OpenCL compiler bug for all we know.
  • Reply 35 of 134
    Apple has been having graphic card problems year after year after year. It seems like it never ends and started so long ago I can't even remember it NOT being an issue. Time to move that shit in house and be done with it.
  • Reply 36 of 134

I have the new Mac Pro with D700 and Resolve locks up on a daily basis for me.  I watched the temps and when the GPUs get to 189, it locks and says there is a graphics problem.  It usually happens about 3 times and then manages to carry out the full render on the fourth attempt.  I am tempted to think it is a thermal issue that seems to manage itself on subsequent attempts.  I have not idea why.  I am rendering out BlackMagic 4K material from Resolve 11.  Oh well.  WIFI is still touch and go too, since Yosemite.  How in the world do you manage to break the WIFI on new software, and then updates as well?  

• Reply 37 of 134

Apple and GPUs, man.

• Reply 38 of 134
    tyler82 wrote: »
    I think it's time for Apple to split into two companies- a mobile company and a computer company. Apple isn't giving as much attention and thought to the Mac anymore.
    Split the company up and the Mac line would slowly decline.
    This shows in making OS X more like iOS (blah!) instead of making iOS more like OS X. I don't need full screen Messages, Contacts, etc. apps for my 27" Cinema Display. In fact many full screen apps on my Mac are over 50% blank space. So silly.
    Silly yes but you don't have to run them full screen.

And iTunes?? It's a total mess!! What used to be one of the friendliest, easiest to use pieces of software is now one of the most convoluted inefficient applications that Apple has released.

This I agree with 100%. Apple put everything but the kitchen sink into ITunes and it has suffered significantly because of that. Music needs to move back into its own app at the very least.
  • Reply 39 of 134
    bobschlob wrote: »
    Not sure you intended it this way; but that sounds like you are actually kicking Apple (and maybe rightfully so?) while they're down. (?)

I'm just noting that short-term and longterm issues weren't uncommon for Apple during Steve Jobs' tenure. As noted by others, we don't know if this is Apple's fault or not… all we know is that it's a bad experience for Mac Pro users which is bad for Apple.
  • Reply 40 of 134
    Apple has been having graphic card problems year after year after year. It seems like it never ends and started so long ago I can't even remember it NOT being an issue. Time to move that shit in house and be done with it.

Baloney, it isn't Apple but the entire industry that has had GPU problems. Every platform I know if gets continuous updates to GPU drivers to correct bugs in the GPU drivers, the various libraries making use of those GPUs and anything else that impacts GPU usage.

It is beyond silly to try to characterize this as an Apple problem. It is rather a problem with the entire industry.