Digital music sales dropped 9% in 2014 while streaming surged 54%

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 68
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    trumptman wrote: »
    Thought I'd drop this here. Some fun analysis of the techniques of those horrible pop songs and how other songs past, present and perhaps even classical use said techniques as well.

Thanks for that.

I don't like these pop songs either. I call the 'fluffing up space', probably because I can't find a better phrase for it, or I really do think this type of music is simply trying to shake up the air over which it travels, but then fails to be captured by people's ears.
  • Reply 62 of 68
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    [video]

Thought I'd drop this here. Some fun analysis of the techniques of those horrible pop songs and how other songs past, present and perhaps even classical use said techniques as well.

Why are they horrible. I thought his playing of Swift's Shake It Off on the piano at the end was beautiful.
  • Reply 63 of 68
    solipsismy wrote: »
    [video]

Why are they horrible. I thought his playing of Swift's Shake It Off on the piano at the end was beautiful.

I believe he, like me, thinks Taylor Swift-like pop songs are horrible. Not the master at the piano here.
  • Reply 64 of 68
    philboogie wrote: »
    I believe he, like me, thinks Taylor Swift-like pop songs are horrible. Not the master at the piano here.

1) I love all sorts of music, including pop music. On top of that, and attempting to remove all bias (including her sexy eyes) I think Swift is an excellent songwriter. Finally, I think Swift's story is a remarkable one because she knew what she wanted to do at a young age, so her family moved to Nashville to help align her with her dream of writing, playing, and singing. She was able to get signed but they all wanted her to do songs written by others. She held out for her dream and she made it. I not only like the ability to see that goal (at any age) but to stay the course instead of the easier win. I wonder how things might have been different if her parents weren't supportive or were simply using her as a tool for their own fortune.

2) On a recent episode of QI they talked about Franz Liszt being the world's first musician to be of the rock, pop and boy band status we have today with girls going crazy because of his music.

… looking for QI clip.
  • Reply 65 of 68
    1) I love all sorts of music, including pop music. On top of that, and attempting to remove all bias (including her sexy eyes) I think Swift is an excellent songwriter. Finally, I think Swift's story is a remarkable one because she knew what she wanted to do at a young age, so her family moved to Nashville to help align her with her dream of writing, playing, and singing. She was able to get signed but they all wanted her to do songs written by others. She held out for her dream and she made it. I not only like the ability to see that goal (at any age) but to stay the course instead of the easier win. I wonder how things might have been different if her parents weren't supportive or were simply using her as a tool for their own fortune.

Didn't know that; thanks. I agree, being that persistent and dedicated is commendable.

2) On a recent episode of QI they talked about Franz Liszt being the world's first musician to be of the rock, pop and boy band status we have today with girls going crazy because of his music.

… looking for QI clip.

...reading the NPR article right now...
  • Reply 66 of 68
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

That's a terrific video. You a songwriter or musician?

I'm a musician. A failed songwriter in that I have lots of unfinished stuff but also a teacher and these videos are great in that they draw upon prior knowledge, generate interest and then start teaching a concept.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Quote:

I should have put horrible in quotation marks or something. I was reflecting the language of the thread with tongue in cheek. Swift is fantastic at the "earworms" aka hooks aka motifs mentioned in the video precisely because I don't care to like her music but can't get it out of my head anyway. Most people fail to realize most of this "genre" stuff is just how a song is arranged. I always thought her song "I Knew You Were Trouble" would be a great hard rock/metal song.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Quote:

Quote:

Let me be clear. Taylor Swift is an absolutely masterful pop song writer. There's quite a lot of very good pop music in this day and age and especially the lyrics are very savvy, snappy and smart. I believe everyone gets a bit conditioned by what they heard when they were digging when they were 13 years old. However in the end it is all just slightly different stylization and arrangements of the same songs. They also reflect the new technology available. The 60's had a lot of great organ because it was the first time you could travel with one. The 80's with synthesizers and MIDI available for the first time meant lot of drum machines, orchestra hits, and people yelling about quantization before they were yelling about autotune.

Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

… looking for QI clip.

Great channel to check out is a group that performs under the name Post-Modern Jukebox. They take modern songs and rearrange them into older and different genres from different ages. I'm going to toss out three great examples from them.

First Taylor Swift because she was the topic of discussion so far in the thread.

Arianna Grande is another favorite of the "kids" this year who gets quite the early 70's treatment here.

Blurred Lines getting the Bluegrass treatment is lots of fun as well.

I see most music as just a reflection of technology. I can imagine the elders in the late 50's wondering why these idiots were increasing the gain of their preamplifier to the point it couldn't cleanly reproduce the guitar feed and instead made it sound all fuzzy and distorted. Sure today it is accepted but back then it was controversial, the world was ending and people were wondering where all the good music had gone since all this rock crap was taking up all the air in the room.

I mean really what has changed?

• Reply 67 of 68
    Swift is fantastic at the "earworms" aka hooks aka motifs mentioned in the video precisely because I don't care to like her music but can't get it out of my head anyway.

And I don't like that. Though successful, commercially this works, but Taylor Swift simply isn't my taste.

Let me be clear. Taylor Swift is an absolutely masterful pop song writer. There's quite a lot of very good pop music in this day and age and especially the lyrics are very savvy, snappy and smart. I believe everyone gets a bit conditioned by what they heard when they were digging when they were 13 years old. However in the end it is all just slightly different stylization and arrangements of the same songs. They also reflect the new technology available. The 60's had a lot of great organ because it was the first time you could travel with one. The 80's with synthesizers and MIDI available for the first time meant lot of drum machines, orchestra hits, and people yelling about quantization before they were yelling about autotune.

Good points here! Personally I think there's too much copying going on. I miss the funk. I miss the bass.
    Great channel to check out is a group that performs under the name Post-Modern Jukebox. They take modern songs and rearrange them into older and different genres from different ages. I'm going to toss out three great examples from them.

Great! Now this is nice music. Thanks for putting a new playlist in my Spotify. And on my phone. I like the pianist, Scott Bradlee.
  • Reply 68 of 68

… looking for QI clip.

That Franz Liszt story could be the basis for a terrific movie.