Bank of America promotes iPhone 6 in new TV ads for Apple Pay

24

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 75
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member

    There is NO security with chip credit cards. Wave to pay is deadly. If someone nicks your card in Oz, and you don't notice, there might be a $100 limit but that's per purchase. ... Apple Pay has to be sold it as the secure alternative. To the banks if not to the customers 

  • Reply 22 of 75
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 5,857member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by knowitall View Post





    How old are you?



    Can you blame him?  Your original post had contained about as much factual information as someone trying to pass kindergarten.  Even had me almost spraying my drink from laughter.

  • Reply 23 of 75
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member

    One big part of Apple Pay is being able to leave your credit cards at home, and keep your wallet thinner.

     

    I also got an Apple Store gift card for Christmas which was credit card-sized and as thick. I scanned it into Passbook on my iPhone, and they scanned the virtual card at my Apple Store when I made a purchase.

     

    The total was more than the card amount, and I used Apple Pay to pay the balance.

     

    Now that's seriously convenient!

  • Reply 24 of 75
    Target was supposed to use Apple Pay, but I have yet to see a reader here in Kansas. In fact, I have YET to see a store with the required reader so I can use it !
  • Reply 25 of 75
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    bbteague wrote: »
    Target was supposed to use Apple Pay, but I have yet to see a reader here in Kansas. In fact, I have YET to see a store with the required reader so I can use it !

    I thought Target was part of the anti-?Pay group, MCX.
  • Reply 26 of 75
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,357member

    Yeah, except if your credit card is stolen, you the transaction can still take place.  TouchID ensures that the owner of the credit card is present at the time of purchase in a way that can't be hacked.  All you need is a device that transmits NFC data instead of reprogrammable magnetic strips and you can still steal credit card numbers all day long.

  • Reply 27 of 75
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,357member

    Apple announced in October that Target was supporting Apple Pay in their app and online presence, but not in their physical stores.

  • Reply 28 of 75
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

     

    Apple announced in October that Target was supporting Apple Pay in their app and online presence, but not in their physical stores.




    Probably different decision makers for those two functions. It would match with the typical procedure of most corporations.

     

    ?Pay is the future, idiots, dump MCX (or at least support both) and get with the times.

  • Reply 29 of 75
    gtbuzzgtbuzz Posts: 129member
    Maybe ApplePay will work better than my Visa with a Chip. Walmart's Chip processing leaves a lot to be desired. Old Fashioned Swipe & Sign is much faster than Chip Pay and Wait, and Wait, and Wait Some More . . . Tonight I tried to buy an inexpensive Timex at Walmart in GA and after 2 attempts to Pay & Wait with the Visa Merrill Signature Chip Card, I gave up, canceled, swiped, signed and left. They have had Chips in their cards for several years. Walmart cannot seem to get the Chip Pay Technology down as they should. Anyone having any luck with Apple Pay at Walmart ?
  • Reply 30 of 75
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by knowitall View Post

     
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post





    Apple Pay is even more secure than chip credit cards.  



    In fact, the contents of the chip can be read straight from your card at a distance by hackers, allowing them to steal your ID and card.  This is why you have to get RFID shielding wallets to protect your cards from being read.



    Also, since anyone can use your chip credit card after stealing it, it isn't as secure as Apply Pay which requires your fingerprint.



    Once Apple Pay gets a foothold in Europe, it will take over Europe. Easily.




    I know all that of-course (at least I heard the rumors about unsecure content).

    But that isn't the point.

    The point is that it might be good enough and even more easy to use than AP.

    Yeah - so much easier that you won't even have to go shopping to find things on your bill!

    It isn't chip cards Apple has to beat - it's ignorance...

    Thanks for demonstrating it.

  • Reply 31 of 75
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Well it is funny that you'd say a system is hard for Apple to beat when they handedly, and inarguably, beat it in security earlier this year when they introduced ?Pay.

    Well, they didn't, not in Europe (you know the subject I was talking about).
    And I didn't say that the system was hard to beat for Apple, I did say that it 'seems that way' (a big difference and a way to open a discussion).
    Your reading skills are not up to par.
  • Reply 32 of 75
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    boredumb wrote: »
    Yeah - so much easier that you won't even have to go shopping to find things on your bill!
    It isn't chip cards Apple has to beat - it's ignorance...
    Thanks for demonstrating it.

    I don't know where the hostility comes from, maybe you had a bad day.
    I surely didn't demonstrate ignorance, I just raised a question.
    The issue at hand is that banks and other money institutions in Europe might not be as easy to beat as the ones in the US.
    The reason I say that is that banks are already issuing counter measures.
    That doesn't seem an ignorant statement, it's just reporting a fact and raising an relevant question.
  • Reply 33 of 75
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    sflocal wrote: »

    Can you blame him?  Your original post had contained about as much factual information as someone trying to pass kindergarten.  Even had me almost spraying my drink from laughter.

    What more factual information do you want?
    The name of the bank that made the commercial?
    The fact is that banks in Europe pose nfc cards clearly as alternative to AP that isn't introduced here yet.
    Fact enough its seems.
  • Reply 34 of 75
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    danielsw wrote: »
    One big part of Apple Pay is being able to leave your credit cards at home, and keep your wallet thinner.

    I also got an Apple Store gift card for Christmas which was credit card-sized and as thick. I scanned it into Passbook on my iPhone, and they scanned the virtual card at my Apple Store when I made a purchase.

    The total was more than the card amount, and I used Apple Pay to pay the balance.

    Now that's seriously convenient!

    Yes it is.
    In Europe a lot of people have only one credit card and a bank card, no big deal to carry that, plus your phone which you can still use for virtual (gift) cards.
  • Reply 35 of 75
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    paul94544 wrote: »

    I thought they were intelligent, obviously they don't understand how easy it is for chip credit cards to be hacked and that the merchant can store all your personal data purchase history and profile you. The reason I use apple pay is to make anonymous and hack free payments when available. I do not want my identity stolen. It happened to me once and believe me when I say, you really do not want to go thru the process of fixing your credit

    Simply put Paul, It's a power struggle it isn't about the most secure and anonymous system.
  • Reply 36 of 75
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    adamc wrote: »
    @knowitall

    Sure, good enough to allow others to steal data direct from your card.
    All the crooks will <span style="line-height:1.4em;">have a great time at your expense.</span>

    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">What do I know I am not know it all.</span>


    Seeing a joke is not easy and it sure takes a matured person to see it.

    No AdamC, good enough for the average user when the banks are responsible for the damage.
    No AdamC, it was not about me.
    No AdamC, it's just a name, get used to it.
    No AdamC, it's hard to recognize a joke when it isn't.

    Yes AdamC, it seems you have a big issue communicating in a constructive non hostile way.
    Good luck with that.
  • Reply 37 of 75
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    gtbuzz wrote: »
    Maybe ApplePay will work better than my Visa with a Chip. Walmart's Chip processing leaves a lot to be desired. Old Fashioned Swipe & Sign is much faster than Chip Pay and Wait, and Wait, and Wait Some More . . . Tonight I tried to buy an inexpensive Timex at Walmart in GA and after 2 attempts to Pay & Wait with the Visa Merrill Signature Chip Card, I gave up, canceled, swiped, signed and left. They have had Chips in their cards for several years. Walmart cannot seem to get the Chip Pay Technology down as they should. Anyone having any luck with Apple Pay at Walmart ?

    Paying with chip creditcards and a passcode is fast and easy in Europe and it is for a lot of years now.
  • Reply 38 of 75
    Knowitall...

    Apple is promoting security and ease of use.

    Out of the gate security beats insecurity. You have agreed to this fact.

    One wave to pay sounds easier and faster than Apple Pay since fingerprint authorization is not needed. Some people may want that. Some people might not want that due to the possibility of unauthorized payments. I think you can agree with this fact as well.

    Can Apple convince all European banks to support Apple Pay? Probably not. All that is needed to start the Apple Pay ball rolling is three-to-five banks. From there retailers are needed. At the point, Apple will just move forward with Apple Pay. Apple will not wait indefinitely nor will it stop unwilling-to-partner banks from going their own way.

    With Apple Watch, a lot of iPhone 5, 5C and 5S users will join a lot of iPhone 6 and 6 Plus users may start to use Apple Pay in Europe securely and easily. I think you can agree with this assumption.

    Will Apple easily beat wave to pay? No. Apple will compete by presenting a secure and easy alternative and trying to convince its iPhone and Watch customers to use that alternative.

    Once Apple Pay arrives to Europe, most commentators here will be back commenting.
  • Reply 39 of 75
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    All it will take is a series of massive data breaches in Europe to provide Apple with their free Apple Pay advertising there.
  • Reply 40 of 75
    adybadyb Posts: 201member
    knowitall wrote: »
    Yes it is.
    In Europe a lot of people have only one credit card and a bank card, no big deal to carry that, plus your phone which you can still use for virtual (gift) cards.

    & a lot of us have more than one of each!

    The big issue will be getting enough retailers to accept Apple pay so that I feel comfortable leaving some of my cards at home & enjoying a thinner wallet.
Sign In or Register to comment.