AT&T follows T-Mobile with new 'Rollover Data' offering

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gonevw View Post

You can throw the microcell away now there is voip calling

Tell me how I'm going to call a regular number from my iPhone with no cell signal. Any free service that doesn't require a sign-up? Guess not. I should dump both ATT and Microcell because if I have internet service down in my house, I'm screwed.

• Reply 22 of 27
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1 View Post

Only the newest phones offer the voice over wi-fi and I don't thing AT&T has enabled it yet. The micro-cell works beautifully in my weak-signal home.

True, but if your network is down, you're screwed.

• Reply 23 of 27
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Back before the dinosaurs, and we had limited calling plans, I used to be able to temporarily upgrade my plan if I was going to go over my minutes, and avoid overages. I don't know if any of the carriers allow that for the limited data plans.

I recently did that with T-Mobile and I seem to recall doing that with AT&T and Verizon in the not-too-distant-past.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Katonah View Post

Once additional carriers allow roll-overs longer than 1 month AT&T will likely follow suit.

T-Mo allows roll-over for 1 year. That's what ATT compete against: T-Mo.

• Reply 25 of 27
    focherfocher Posts: 687member

That's a ridiculous bit of nitpicking about something mostly irrelevant. For those that don't want to click on that link, it's criticizing T-Mobile because of one scenario. When a T-Mobile user hits their data cap each month, they continue to get data but at a slow speed (around 3G speeds). But T-Mobile exempts Ookla's speedtest.net data from its data usage allowance so when a user runs it the speed test shows the full network speed and not their reduced speed.

If that one off situation is what keeps you from T-Mobile, it's a pretty weak reason. T-Mobile has real issues like coverage in many places, but not getting an accurate read from speedtest.net isn't one of those issues. If you have good coverage in your area or places you travel, T-Mobile is terrific. And if you travel internationally, you absolutely should be on T-Mobile.

• Reply 26 of 27
    ifij775 wrote: »
    Unlimited plans being ubiquitous seems inevitable, but that's still a few years away.

You're probably right, but I don't see why the carriers need to be so timid.

I'm sure that even with unlimited data, 90% would only use 1GB or less.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    fallenjt wrote: »
    mike1 wrote: »

Only the newest phones offer the voice over wi-fi and I don't thing AT
    True, but if your network is down, you're screwed.

Here in the UK, at least one major carrier now routes calls over wifi, so if you have no signal, you can still make and receive calls through your normal number if you have wifi.