August iPhone-connected lock unveils new remote access add-on, private API

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2015
Owners of the Yves Behar-designed August Smart Lock now have the option to control the device from their iPhone even when they're out of the house thanks to the new August Connect accessory announced by the company at this week's Consumer Electronics Show.

Roughly the size of Apple's iPad power adapter, August Connect plugs into a power outlet and acts as a bridge between the smart lock and consumers' home Wi-Fi network. Users will be able to check the status of the lock, receive notifications when people enter or exit through a smart lock-equipped door, and remotely "buzz in" visitors like dog walkers or maintenance personnel.

"With August Connect, August is expanding the range of functionality for our users, delivering new experiences around secure, intelligent access to the home," August CEO Jason Johnson said in a release. "While the existing Bluetooth connectivity in the August Smart Lock allows it to be a truly offline, independent device, August Connect enhances that core offering with new benefits such as real time and WiFi Internet connectivity."

August Connect will not require a subscription fee of any kind. The device is currently available for pre-order for $49.99, with shipping expected to commence next month.

The company also announced the release of a private API that will allow some hardware partners --?such as Logitech and SmartThings --?to integrate August into other home automation systems. One of August's API launch partners is Google subsidiary Nest, which will allow Nest's smart thermostat to switch between Home and Away modes based on the lock's status.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I bought an August smartlock and after trying it for 3 weeks had to return it because it didn't work properly. It would not unlock when I approached the door, I would have to pull out my phone and launch the app. It was very frustrating as I truly want this functionality. I was surprised because when I communicated with their customer support directly no one was even remotely curious as to why I was returning a new product that did not work.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    exdlexdl Posts: 7member
    I own a Kevo, and while both companies introduced similar products this week, August's seems like a better deal than the Kevo Plus. The main difference is Kevo wants a subscription fee but will give the hardware modification for free. I'd much rather pay one fixed amount than an ongoing charge.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesJpn View Post

I bought an August smartlock and after trying it for 3 weeks had to return it because it didn't work properly. It would not unlock when I approached the door, I would have to pull out my phone and launch the app. It was very frustrating as I truly want this functionality. I was surprised because when I communicated with their customer support directly no one was even remotely curious as to why I was returning a new product that did not work.

I was suspect myself after hearing similar concerns...however, I installed mine 4 weeks ago and auto-unlock works flawlessly. YMMV.  however, I do recall reading that you need to travel a "considerable" distance away.  maybe an app update solved it?

• Reply 4 of 5

It didn't, I was current.  In fact an update came sometime during my ownership and I had hoped that would fix it.

• Reply 5 of 5

I have had the lock for approximately 1 month now.  I have experienced numerous problems with this lock including not locking, when unlocked manually, not opening on approach, and the latest only locking about 1/4 inch.

the first problem is not re-locking, and this lock works great for a couple of days then stops, it appears to be related to a manual unlocking with a key from the outside.  I wonder if the key is not turning the mechanism enough to be read as unlocked and thus needs to be relocked.

the second on I think I have resolved by travelling a gps distance away from the unit.  I am on the 9th floor of a condo and when I go to the P3 underground level the phone thinks I have not left far away and does not unlock upon my approah, however if I travel say 3-4 miles away it always works flawless.

now the third problem being the only moving the deadbolt 1/4" is nerve wracking.  I am always checking the front door to see if the knob is turned all the way.  I have put marker dots to verify that the lock is confirmed or the Scalage bolt is fully extended.

I am running the latest software and I hope I do not have a non perfected batch of locks which I obtained from the Apple store in Las Vegas.

I am awaiting the newly released wifi to bluetooth hub for this lock which August has released at CES and due out mid-feb.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/01/07/august-iphone-connected-lock-unveils-new-remote-access-add-on-private-api