After Intel spent billions to subsidize 40M Android Atom tablets, Microsoft releases Office only for

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    crowley wrote: »
    Thanks for the "correction" Dan.  It was just a jibe at your expense, I momentarily forgot how humourless and insecure you are.

For the record I'm not contemptuous of you.

*snip*

I don't think for a second that you'll take this as constructive, you seem hypersensitive to any criticism, as the post history for the "Corrections" account is evidence of.

P.S. The fact that you hide behind a forum account called "Corrections" is worthy of contempt, or at the very least a healthy dose of mockery.  If you're going to respond to critics then put your name on your comments.

Look. I know you get stalked by TS, have a long record here and all but...
    Pot, kettle, black...is not a good look.
  • Reply 22 of 54
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member

You don't need MS office apps to edit Word, Excel or Power Point on an Android device. Plenty of other apps for that.

• Reply 23 of 54
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    frac wrote: »
    Look. I know you get stalked by TS, have a long record here and all but...
    Pot, kettle, black...is not a good look.
    I don't use multiple aliases and I'm not a journalist. I fail to see how I'm a pot.
  • Reply 24 of 54
    ascii wrote: »
    Where's your website of writing so we can all criticise it and see how good you feel?
    Writing isn't my job. If I get criticised by a customer or colleague in my job (doesn't happen often, but it has happened) then I act professionally and try to be constructive, I don't snap back at the person criticising, and I certainly don't do so under cover of an alias.
  • Reply 25 of 54

[Response to "Crowley" and "Lord Amhran"]

No way DED is "Corrections" -- Dan actually has a history of replying to comments, although that may have been at Roughly Drafted, and not AI.

Anyhow, my point is that his responses were never anything like what Corrections is doing here. Basically, Dan wouldn't bother to reply your initial comments here, because they were not substantive, nor would he bother to tell you to be substantive. Whomever (whoever?) Corrections is, it's not Dan. You are just wrong about that and the fact you think you see a sock puppet says a lot about you.

I'll leave it to someone else to pick apart your actual substantive comment above in reply to Corrections. [EDIT: Scratch that -- with regard to Lord Amhran's supposedly substantive comment, I see it doesn't actually have much of anything useful to say about the assertions in this article, or really any other DED article -- just a couple of straw men.]

• Reply 26 of 54
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Writing isn't my job. If I get criticised by a customer or colleague in my job (doesn't happen often, but it has happened) then I act professionally and try to be constructive, I don't snap back at the person criticising, and I certainly don't do so under cover of an alias.

Well, if you are not a writer (or English professor, book reviewer, or at least a school teacher) then by definition your critique of his writing was an amateur one, so why does it deserve a professional reply? 

• Reply 27 of 54
    reefoidreefoid Posts: 158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenThousandThings View Post

[Response to "Crowley"]

No way DED is "Corrections" -- Dan actually has a history of replying to comments, although that may have been at Roughly Drafted, and not AI.

Anyhow, my point is that his responses were never anything like what Corrections is doing here. Basically, Dan wouldn't bother to reply your initial comments here, because they were not substantive, nor would he bother to tell you to be substantive. Whomever (whoever?) Corrections is, it's not Dan. You are just wrong about that and the fact you think you see a sock puppet says a lot about you.

I'll leave it to someone else to pick apart your actual substantive comment above in reply to Corrections.

Yes, DED is Corrections, as has been shown numerous times and all regulars here are aware of that despite the fact he talks about himself in the third person.  Unfortunately you've been fooled by DED's dishonesty which is exactly how he wants it to be.

• Reply 28 of 54
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member

Not that Corrections needs defending, but...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

After regurgitating the same anti-Android security slur pieces week after week, why have you thus far remained silent on this one:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/184021/apple-releases-critical-security-update-for-os-x-ntp-services-vulnerability

I don't get it, what is there to discuss?  There was a security flaw, it was patched and distributed.  Somehow I missed the article (thanks for the link), but lo and behold, the fix was delivered to me anyway.  Yawn.

Quote:
    I also find it amusing Daniel how you insinuated a couple months ago that "80% of the Android world was on Froyo" and then post a graph this week 

You really don't want to bring that up.  Have you checked the latest Google Play Store OS distribution numbers? 

Froyo still has more active users than Lollipop.  After the holidays.  In fact, Lollipop has a whopping 0.1% of the user base... two months in. 

Even KitKat has less than 40% penetration.

In short, the narrative still holds.

• Reply 29 of 54

Also, here's an example of a good, on-point criticism of the current article:

The article implies that Microsoft has no plans to support Atom on Android in the future. Isn't it a stretch to make that assumption?

• Reply 30 of 54
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

This shows you how bad the fragmentation has gotten. Even MS the master of fragmentation can not make office product work on all the Android products in the market place. Yeah Free and open is good as long as you do not expect the product to work for you for the things that you need to depend on.

• Reply 31 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reefoid View Post

Yes, DED is Corrections, as has been shown numerous times and all regulars here are aware of that despite the fact he talks about himself in the third person.  Unfortunately you've been fooled by DED's dishonesty which is exactly how he wants it to be.

Okay, I'll admit that the single comment or two early on does fit the pattern I remember from the old days at Roughly Drafted. Although this still doesn't seem like the kind of thing he would bother to correct -- precisely because there is nothing to correct -- internet forums are full of nattering empty vessels like Crowley, and Dan is a veteran observer who has been around a long time. 

Are you calling him "dishonest" because of his supposed use of sock puppet? Even if true, for whatever reason, there's little else to base such a claim upon. His work is more accurate and has more historical perspective than most, and has been that way for much longer than most.

• Reply 32 of 54
    Well, if you are not a writer (or English professor, book reviewer, or at least a school teacher) then by definition your critique of his writing was an amateur one, so why does it deserve a professional reply? 
    This is a ridiculous stance. If DED wants to be taken seriously then he should act seriously. Same goes for any professional in any industry. Sniping under an pseudonym is not a reasonable (or particularly rational, it smacks of insecurity) method for a professional writer to respond to criticism, whether that criticism is amateur or professional, well founded or not. DED is acting like his own shill.
  • Reply 33 of 54
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    pscooter63 wrote: »
    You really don't want to bring that up.  Have you checked the latest Google Play Store OS distribution numbers? 

Froyo still has more active users than Lollipop.  After the holidays.  In fact, Lollipop has a whopping 0.1% of the user base... two months in. 

Even KitKat has less than 40% penetration.

In short, the narrative still holds.
    Not that it matters all that much but for the sake of accuracy Android 5.0 was released slightly more than a month ago. You're probably confusing the official reveal which was a few weeks earlier.
  • Reply 34 of 54
    [Response to "Crowley" and "Lord Amhran"]

Anyhow, my point is that his responses were never anything like what Corrections is doing here.
    Aside from speaking in the third person as Corrections, I'd say the responses on Roughly Drafted and AI are pretty close to exactly the same, he used to berate and call people liars on his own site too. I remember him angering some people because of his habit of editing their comments too.

Example:
    The reply to Rmaynard85 at http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2012/01/09/inside-ces-2012-the-copycat-electronics-shitshow/
  • Reply 35 of 54
    Quote:

This is a ridiculous stance. If DED wants to be taken seriously then he should act seriously. Same goes for any professional in any industry. Sniping under an pseudonym is not a reasonable (or particularly rational, it smacks of insecurity) method for a professional writer to respond to criticism, whether that criticism is amateur or professional, well founded or not. DED is acting like his own shill.

Well I guess you wouldn't have taken Steve Jobs seriously, because he used to say things like "Microsoft has no taste." Many of the smartest people in history were ruthless with their critics.

You should take writers seriously if there is evidence that they are doing their research and offering considered opinions. That is the standard by which to judge. Are they working things out or just making them up? Whether or not they are a robot with their critics is a minor point.

• Reply 36 of 54
    Well I guess you wouldn't have taken Steve Jobs seriously, because he used to say things like "Microsoft has no taste." Many of the smartest people in history were ruthless with their critics.
    Did he do so wearing a fake moustache and sunglasses? No he didn't.
    Did he call Microsoft liars and whiners? No he didn't.
    Was he criticised when he told customers that they were "holding it wrong"? Yes he was.

Being snippy with your customers or ungracious as a public figure never serves you well. Tim Cook and his rhino skin is much better than Steve Jobs in that regard.
  • Reply 37 of 54
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    On the subject of Intel and Atom this is a techie-cool product just announced.
    http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/compute-stick/intel-compute-stick.html

"Compute when, where, and how you want
    The Intel® Compute Stick is a new generation compute-on-a-stick device that’s ready-to-go out-of–the-box and offers the performance, quality, and value you expect from Intel. Pre-installed with Windows 8.1* or Linux, get a complete experience on an ultra-small, power-efficient device that is just four inches long, yet packs the power and reliability of a quad-core Intel® Atom™ processor, with built-in wireless connectivity, on-board storage, and a micro SD card slot for additional storage. It’s everything you love about your desktop computer in a device that fits in the palm of your hand."
  • Reply 38 of 54
    Quote:

Being snippy with your customers or ungracious as a public figure never serves you well. Tim Cook and his rhino skin is much better than Steve Jobs in that regard.

"This nonsense belongs with some of the other books I've read about Apple. It fails to capture Apple, Steve, or anyone else in the company."

-- Tim Cook talking about Haunted Empire

• Reply 39 of 54
    "This nonsense belongs with some of the other books I've read about Apple. It fails to capture Apple, Steve, or anyone else in the company."

-- Tim Cook talking about Haunted Empire
    No one said Tim Cook was perfect. I recall a number of commentators being surprised that Apple and Tim Cook were giving the book any recognition at all. Would have been better not to, in my onion.

Also, Tim Cook said that, not Slim Took on the Haunted Empire message board.
  • Reply 40 of 54
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

You should take writers seriously if there is evidence that they are doing their research and offering considered opinions. That is the standard by which to judge. Are they working things out or just making them up? Whether or not they are a robot with their critics is a minor point.

The reason that I can't take DED seriously is that his agenda means more to him that the truth. He's an APPL stockholder. Professional organisation don't allow their journalists (or bloggers) to hold stock in companies that they report on.

His articles are well researched but his objective is never to tell the truth. Data is cherry-picked, facts that don't fit his narrative are left out. Hell, he doesn't even correct articles (ironic given his choice of pseudonym) when factual errors are pointed out. He's not the only one in the industry who does it but I don't take the likes of Paul Thurrott seriously either. Ultimately, all of these technology zealots are damaging to tech journalism.