First look: ADAM iOS-connected asthma monitor

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2015
The Automated Device for Asthma Management, or ADAM, by Health Care Originals is a unique iOS-connected medical device that aims to provide users with a complete solution for managing their asthma.

By measuring vital signs and other biological readings, the ADAM will predict and log asthma attacks, and can recommend behavior changes as well. It's set to launch in the second quarter of this year, and the price has not yet been announced.

As shown to AppleInsider at CES, the wearable ADAM sensor can count coughs, and measure respiration, wheeze, and heart rate. When it launches in the second quarter of this year, it will also feature inhaler detection, alerts and alert forwarding, symptom tracking and trending, and treatment plans.

ADAM users can also receive medication reminders, and the device includes HIPAA-compliant data storage.

The device aims to prevent complications with asthma that can become serious if detected too late. For some asthma sufferers, realizing they are in trouble on their own may already be too late.

The ADAM sensor has its own iOS-connected application, and HealthKit support is also in the works for the smart, wearable accessory.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    HealthKit, Homekit, iWatch + IOS combo will be huge and make investors very happy in the future, is my guess. Let's hope Apple can make the software as dazzling as its hardware. They have a lot on their plate right now and they are rapidly upping the ante.
  • Reply 2 of 5

This is very cool stuff and I'm very sorry to hijack this thread but when I saw Adam in the headline, I stopped reading and instantly thought of this

http://www.digibarn.com/collections/systems/coleco-adam/CIMG3282.JPG

I want this almost as much as my old Amiga computer....sigh

• Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

HealthKit, Homekit, iWatch + IOS combo will be huge and make investors very happy in the future, is my guess. Let's hope Apple can make the software as dazzling as its hardware. They have a lot on their plate right now and they are rapidly upping the ante.

I'm not sure Apple is relying on their hardware or software for HealthKit, but likely they will have something to market in the future. Mostly, Apple's contribution will be at the infrastructure stage: HealthKit and API's, hardware support for analysis of sensor data, realtime support in iOS, guidelines for third party hardware and software developers, and an organizational component that will consult and encourage the development of third party monitoring devices. 

There is going to be multibillion dollar industry born, of which Apple will be a small direct beneficiary. 

• Reply 4 of 5
    paxman wrote: »

I'm not sure Apple is relying on their hardware or software for HealthKit, but likely they will have something to market in the future. Mostly, Apple's contribution will be at the infrastructure stage: HealthKit and API's, hardware support for analysis of sensor data, realtime support in iOS, guidelines for third party hardware and software developers, and an organizational component that will consult and encourage the development of third party monitoring devices. 

There is going to be multibillion dollar industry born, of which Apple will be a small direct beneficiary. 

You are right on the money here. By including the security of the touch ID and the M-series co-processor, Apple has put the necessary pieces together to support HomeKit and HealthKit types of products. These kinds of innate hardware advances are going to hurt other OS platforms because they are hard to quickly design as alternative solution. Both have been on the market for over a year and no other platform has answered the challenge. Add in the 64-bit architecture and the software Apple added to the basic iDevices and the competition is left behind. Even Samsung has stopped saying they will be following soon.

Apple already has raised the bar for the base hardware in their chosen market so high and so quickly that the usual players seem to not even be trying any more. Apple's competitors have resorted to trying the cloud the market by promoting twists in packaging, such as the 2-in-1 BS in place of actual improved capabilities.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    paxman wrote: »

Based on their software for the past couple of years, the combo you list above is dead in the water.