First look: Lucis' NuBryte cloud-connected smart home console

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2015
After unveiling its upcoming NuBryte cloud-connected smart home console last year, Lucis Technologies brought a working model to the showroom floor at CES, demoing the console's automated lighting and security features.

NuBryte is a smart light control panel that cleverly replaces existing room light switches, bringing advanced home monitoring and control to home owners without an involved installation process.

What makes NuBryte interesting is its ability to adapt lighting settings by applying specialized algorithms to recorded user behavior and data gathered by onboard sensors. Over time, the system "learns" a room's lighting patterns and can adjust light output settings depending on time of day and more, ultimately saving home owners money. Automated lighting choices can be overridden on device or through direct control via smartphone.

In addition to lighting functions, NuBryte includes built-in security features like a Web-connected camera. Users arm the device with a passcode before leaving the house, just as they would a conventional alarm. When triggered by an intruder, the system will flash room lights and record 40 seconds of video for later inspection.

A push notification can also be sent is sent out to alert users to the situation so they can access NuBryte's camera feed remotely and take further action if necessary.

Finally, severe weather alerts are pushed down to NuBryte for onscreen viewing, while current software iterations include a built-in family calendar and an intercom for communicating with other NuBryte devices located throughout the house.

Lucis plans to have NuBryte out by the end of the second quarter for $199. Preorders get a $50 price cut and are being accepted through the company's website.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Like the concept here. I would prefer a main control panel where they would allow multiples of (upstairs and downstairs) and then a reduced version that replaces light switches room by room. I have several other concepts that would make this great but not sharing unless I get paid!
  • Reply 2 of 17
    nick29nick29 Posts: 111member
    How many swipes and presses to turn on a light, more than one? What if you're in a room and you don't have your iPhone or the console near you? This seems like another way to complicate people's lives and separate them from their money by slapping a "smart" label on it. A solution without a problem.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

I like the idea, but it is a failure, here is why.

It is made to replace a single light switch modal, in my house and many up scale house very few rooms have a single wall switch, most are dual or triples. The only place in my house with a single switch is the light switch to the basement steps. I have duals, triples and quads switches all over the house and many of two or 3 way. If you look at the size, it covers thespace of a dual switch plate so you can not retro fit this into most homes of people who would have the money to spend on this.

The Hardware design is a failure out of the shoot. I fee back for these people they did not do their research.

• Reply 4 of 17
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

I don't really get what it does.

Its a wall panel as opposed to an iPhone App?

And like someone else mentioned, smart lights are great, but when it comes to the optional wall control, it needs to be quick and tactile like a light switch.

Light switches don't bother people. So far, the only light fixtures in my home that have become smart lights are the ones that have no wall switch...either must be controlled by a pull chain or they are in stand alone lamps plugged into dumb outlets. In those cases, an iPhone App is vastly superior...but I also wish I had one of those switches I've seen is battery powered, sticks anywhere on the wall, and is used as tactile switch for any of your smart lights.

• Reply 5 of 17
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

What makes NuBryte interesting is its ability to adapt lighting settings by applying specialized algorithms to recorded user behavior and data gathered by onboard sensors. Over time, the system "learns" a room's lighting patterns and can adjust light output settings depending on time of day and more, ultimately saving home owners money. Automated lighting choices can be overridden on device or through direct control via smartphone.

It's kinda bullshit, actually. Turning lights on and off manually is very easy, precise and fool proof. The potentials savings using 'specialized algorithms to recorded user behavior and data gathered by onboard sensors'  are questionable when using LED bulbs. Personally I think its a case of 'we do because we can' and that home automation is a bit of a fad. The useful features will survive and the rest will forever be niche, or disappear. 

• Reply 6 of 17
    maestro64 wrote: »

It is made to replace a single light switch modal, in my house and many up scale house very few rooms have a single wall switch, most are dual or triples. The only place in my house with a single switch is the light switch to the basement steps. I have duals, triples and quads switches all over the house and many of two or 3 way. If you look at the size, it covers thespace of a dual switch plate so you can not retro fit this into most homes of people who would have the money to spend on this.

The Hardware design is a failure out of the shoot. I fee back for these people they did not do their research.
    I saw they have both dual and single version. And it still works when the panel is taken away! Maybe they should add triple version?
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick29 View Post

How many swipes and presses to turn on a light, more than one? What if you're in a room and you don't have your iPhone or the console near you? This seems like another way to complicate people's lives and separate them from their money by slapping a "smart" label on it. A solution without a problem.

@Nick29 

Great question!  

NuBryte is actually an upgrade to your existing light switch - similar to upgrading from a basic toggle to a simple dimmer switch - but with countless additional functionalities in the touchscreen console.  So to answer your question, there would always be a console in the room because it is part of your home.

We've designed the system to be an entirely functional switch that, when used as a traditional light control, uses no more touches than the manual switch already in your home.  In addition to traditional lighting control, NuBryte instantly transforms your existing overhead lighting into smart lighting that can automatically brighten or dim according to your behavioral preferences, natural light levels, and where you're located within the home.  Additionally, you gain control over your whole home's lighting from wherever you are and, as you've pointed out, remote control via your smartphone.

NuBryte also provides home security features and household management tools that make it much more than a simple lighting control.  We'd love for you to check out our website at www.nubryte.com or be in touch with us at [email protected] if you have any additional questions we can help to answer!

• Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

@Maestro

Thanks for your interest in NuBryte!

The console is actually designed to accommodate both the single and double-gang sockets which are popular in homes today.  

• Reply 9 of 17
    spg88spg88 Posts: 1member
    I've just finally got through everything to see at CES and now on my way out of vegas. I came across Lucis and this product on the show floor and had a hands on demo. It's a great piece of kit and there's a few misconceptions posted here. They have motion sensors built in so when your in front and wanting to simply turn off lighting it immediately switches to the lighting controls, with one touch to turn lights on/ off and a slider to dim. Motion is also harnessed for lighting control when you are arriving/ leaving home. It can be diy fitted to either single or dual gang switches, with options coming for larger banks and a simplified version to connect the rest of the home. It's has a built in security camera linked to a pretty powerful smartphone app, so video can be viewed and recorded in real time from anywhere. They also have remote control via the app for lighting, energy monitoring and intercom from outside the house. With wifi and an as of yet disclosed secondary wireless protocol built in, their intention is to connect to other devices and the NuBryte to become a central console backed up by the app. UI is fresh and looks great. I reckon we see what hits the shelves this July before judging, I'll be staying tuned anyway.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

It's kinda bullshit, actually. Turning lights on and off manually is very easy, precise and fool proof. The potentials savings using 'specialized algorithms to recorded user behavior and data gathered by onboard sensors'  are questionable when using LED bulbs. Personally I think its a case of 'we do because we can' and that home automation is a bit of a fad. The useful features will survive and the rest will forever be niche, or disappear. 

@paxman

Thanks for your comments!

The NuBryte absolutely allows you to turn on and off your lights in a simple, foolproof manner just as you always have but now on a touchscreen console.  But in addition to that very basic function, it transforms your existing LED bulbs (or CFL / incandescent, for that matter) into a smart lighting system that can adjust itself according to your lifestyle, natural light levels, and can be controlled from anywhere in the home or remotely via a smart phone.

We'd love for you to check out the videos on our YouTube channel for more insight on how it works, and welcome you to be in touch at [email protected] if we can help to answer any questions you might have!

• Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I don't really get what it does.

Its a wall panel as opposed to an iPhone App?

And like someone else mentioned, smart lights are great, but when it comes to the optional wall control, it needs to be quick and tactile like a light switch.

Light switches don't bother people. So far, the only light fixtures in my home that have become smart lights are the ones that have no wall switch...either must be controlled by a pull chain or they are in stand alone lamps plugged into dumb outlets. In those cases, an iPhone App is vastly superior...but I also wish I had one of those switches I've seen is battery powered, sticks anywhere on the wall, and is used as tactile switch for any of your smart lights.

@pmz

Great questions!

It sounds like NuBryte is actually exactly the piece to complete your smart lighting home!  The console is an upgrade to your existing light switch, and instantly transforms the room's existing overhead lighting into smart lights - with no need for additional sensors or luxury bulbs to be added.  NuBryte is then able to learn your lighting lifestyle, adjust with natural light levels, and provide specialized lighting modes based on your behavior and preferences.  And of course, you have control of your whole connected home's lighting from any console and from the smartphone app.

• Reply 12 of 17
    paxman wrote: »
    That was my general thought. Smart systems to turn your heating up and down have a point to them. Turning a light on and off would only really save you money if you left lights on all over hour house when nobodies in the room. I suspect if your someone who's interested in saving money on your lighting, your probably also someone who turns lights off when you leave a room. In which case leaving it on to turn off automatically would cost you more money.

The other things it does sound nice though.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

That was my general thought. Smart systems to turn your heating up and down have a point to them. Turning a light on and off would only really save you money if you left lights on all over hour house when nobodies in the room. I suspect if your someone who's interested in saving money on your lighting, your probably also someone who turns lights off when you leave a room. In which case leaving it on to turn off automatically would cost you more money.

The other things it does sound nice though.

You'd be surprised. 

I know a person who is very interested in saving money, yet leaves the lights on all over the house, all day long beginning with the sunrise. The bulbs are all incandescent or CCFLs, because LED bulbs were too expensive when the last bulbs burned out.

Humans are irrational. 

• Reply 14 of 17

@paxman

Thanks for your comments!

The NuBryte absolutely allows you to turn on and off your lights in a simple, foolproof manner just as you always have but now on a touchscreen console.  But in addition to that very basic function, it transforms your existing LED bulbs (or CFL / incandescent, for that matter) into a smart lighting system that can adjust itself according to your lifestyle, natural light levels, and can be controlled from anywhere in the home or remotely via a smart phone.

We'd love for you to check out the videos on our YouTube channel for more insight on how it works, and welcome you to be in touch at [email protected] if we can help to answer any questions you might have!

• Reply 15 of 17
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mecca219er View Post

I saw they have both dual and single version. And it still works when the panel is taken away! Maybe they should add triple version?

I was on their website, and they do not have detail design information or how to wire it into the existing circuits in the house, so I am guessing base on the little information they are sharing. However, what I saw was the display module is the sign of dual switch, but only fits into as single switch opening. They are not showing two different sizes, from what I saw it was one size and due to the size of the display if covers a large space greater than a dual switch, which is fine if you are only replacing a single switch. 

They will be on the watch list for me, but I believe they have work in front of them.

• Reply 16 of 17

@Maestro64

Glad we're on your watch list!  The unit is built to accommodate single or double-gang switch housings (single and double switches).

• Reply 17 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TechProd1gy View Post

Like the concept here. I would prefer a main control panel where they would allow multiples of (upstairs and downstairs) and then a reduced version that replaces light switches room by room. I have several other concepts that would make this great but not sharing unless I get paid!

@TechProd1gy

We're on the lookout for great talent and people with fresh ideas to join us, why don't you drop us a line at [email protected]!