Samsung, ASE tapped to build Apple Watch's S1 processing module - report

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    28nm? It seems like this is where you'd want 14nm...

That is the very first thing I thought, Apple Watch would be the place to run on a risk process. If not 14 nm at least try for something in the 20 nm range. Power usage is key here.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    The next rumor should hit next week saying TSMC actually won the S1 not Samsung. AI will state the new rumor is questionable.
    I still wouldn't be surprised to find them splitting work across two contractors.
    For the past four/five quarters Samsung has announced declining revenue and profit. To lessen the blow, a rumor comes along claiming Samsung won an Apple manufacturing job.
    If you look around you can find articles about Samsung going "all in" as far as its semiconductor plants go. They have been very successful with their foundry efforts.
    AI publishes the rumor without questioning anything. When the TSMC rumor surfaces, AI questions the truth of the new rumor. It seems like AI WANTS or NEEDS for the Samsung rumor to be true and the TSMC rumor to be false.

Why?
    Maybe it is your perspective I haven't really seen that much bias in the general reporting. Crap written by DED I tend to ignore or in the end can't stomach reading through his crap journalism. The reality is if you ignore DED you can find interesting writing on AI.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

When can we start saying that Apple is ‘saving’ Samsung with this rumored deal like Microsoft ‘saved’ Apple? 

Right after people here start protesting that they will never buy anything that is made by Samsung or contains Samsung components, all while waiting at the local Apple Store to buy their Mac, iPhone or iPad.

• Reply 24 of 38
    lolliver wrote: »
    As others have stated AI should have clarified that this was a "questionable rumour out of the Far East" especially when it's coming from digitimes. Some AI authors will go to the trouble of including an entire paragraph at the start of the article clarifying digitimes poor track record. It would be best not to even waste time on a rumour like this but if they feel the need to report on it at least clarify that it's most likely complete B.S.

Digitimes does not have a poor track record! I'm not sure why people don't understand this, probably because they don't actually read the publication. It is rather AI's inability to understand the context of articles published in Digitimes Digitimes makes it pretty clear when questionable info comes forth. If AI tries to publish such information as fact it isn't Digitimes fault.

In a nut shell don't blame Digitimes for stupid authors on AI not understanding what Digitimes printed.
  • Reply 25 of 38

This is positive thought provocation I was aiming for with my observation and question above that just might assist AI with becoming consistent with its rumor reporting. One can only aim though.

You might consider learning to read for content and also reduce your reliance upon how AI interprets and article printed by Digitimes. Consider actually reading Digitimes and where these sort of articles get printed in the publication. It is pretty pathetic to damn a publication based on third party interpretations of the articles they have printed.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    wizard69 wrote: »
    Maybe it is your perspective I haven't really seen that much bias in the general reporting. Crap written by DED I tend to ignore or in the end can't stomach reading through his crap journalism. The reality is if you ignore DED you can find interesting writing on AI.

^^^ This!
  • Reply 27 of 38
    You might consider learning to read for content and also reduce your reliance upon how AI interprets and article printed by Digitimes. Consider actually reading Digitimes and where these sort of articles get printed in the publication. It is pretty pathetic to damn a publication based on third party interpretations of the articles they have printed.

Wizard69, you were doing so well then you blew it. I was not criticizing AI for publishing rumors from Digitimes. I made an observation about how AI reports rumors about Samsung versus TSMC. Samsung rumors are written with a more factual tone while TSMC rumors are written with a questionable tone. Please refrain from telling me to read something to get an understanding when you obviously did not comprehend what I had written. I guess today had to be the day I had to deal of your type.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

^^^ This!

Be careful about what you call "crap journalism".  Don't you know that he has "A decade of experience in technical consulting or employment in information technology, recognized by the University of California to be equivalent to a Master’s Degree in Computer Science"?

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/resume.html

• Reply 29 of 38
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    haggar wrote: »
    Be careful about what you call "crap journalism".  Don't you know that he has "A decade of experience in technical consulting or employment in information technology, recognized by the University of California to be equivalent to a Master’s Degree in Computer Science"?

Oddly I don't see any actual reference to educational qualifications, in the normal sense, anywhere on that page.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I still wouldn't be surprised to find them splitting work across two contractors.
    If you look around you can find articles about Samsung going "all in" as far as its semiconductor plants go. They have been very successful with their foundry efforts.

I'm still waiting for Google to drop Android. This site told us back in 2014 Google was ready to do it over iP issues.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/07/29/google-appears-ready-to-ditch-android-over-its-intellectual-property-issues
  • Reply 31 of 38
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

Without Samsung ..........

• Reply 32 of 38
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    Quote:

When can we start saying that Apple is ‘saving’ Samsung with this rumored deal like Microsoft ‘saved’ Apple? 

It's the other way around?

• Reply 33 of 38
    If you think the S1 exists only as a design and hasn't already been produced and assembled in quantity, ready to be placed into the final product for a Q2 launch of the device, then I thinK it's you who really needs to do a little thinking here.

We're not talking about a device that's being released in September, folks.
    mpantone wrote: »
    Like many others here at AI (and other tech rumor sites), you don't seem to realize that words can have multiple definitions. In this case, clearly the author is using the word "build" as "assemble."

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">I suggest you spend a little more time reading, with a good dictionary and thesaurus by your side. And don't forget to read for context. It's an essential skill in reading comprehension.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Good luck.</span>
  • Reply 34 of 38

'Apple is believed to have ordered up to 4,000 12-inch wafers per month.'

I guess those Apple engineers get through a lot of ice-cream!

All part of the creative process, no doubt.

• Reply 35 of 38

It’s a shame that Apple are still using Samsung for a new product; one would have hoped that they could shut them out completely.

Oh well; as the volume will be so low, I suppose it will make nowt difference.

• Reply 36 of 38
    Quote:

Never.

• Reply 37 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

The next rumor should hit next week saying TSMC actually won the S1 not Samsung. AI will state the new rumor is questionable.

Quote:

For the past four/five quarters Samsung has announced declining revenue and profit. To lessen the blow, a rumor comes along claiming Samsung won an Apple manufacturing job.

Quote:

AI publishes the rumor without questioning anything. When the TSMC rumor surfaces, AI questions the truth of the new rumor. It seems like AI WANTS or NEEDS for the Samsung rumor to be true and the TSMC rumor to be false.

Why?

If by reality, you mean your own little fantasy world, then yes.

• Reply 38 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Oddly I don't see any actual reference to educational qualifications, in the normal sense, anywhere on that page.

Something he shares with Steve Jobs.

Great minds.