Samsung takes on Apple's iPhone 6 Plus with all-metal 5.5" Galaxy A7

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 99
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,817member
    moreck wrote: »
    There is absolutely no way that's only going to cost $600 off-contract, unless Samsung's slashing their profit margins.

What profit margins? :D
  • Reply 82 of 99
    mac_128 wrote: »
    Wow! It's almost a full millimeter thinner than Apple's flagship. Apple must be fuming that anyone could out-thin them.

What a stupid metric Apple has gleaned onto ... I have no idea who thinks this is important, but Apple has made it their gold standard, and just got bested.

I do wonder whether this phone is going to have he same bending issues the Plus did however, and whether Samsung will face the same kind of heat for it ...

While I appreciate thin I'd gladly add a few millimeters & grams for more battery life & smaller top & bottom bezels
  • Reply 83 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

1) Is that an active octo-core or a big.LITTLE arrangement?

2) I was surprised to see there is no 802.11ac.

It suppose to be Samsung mid-tier line of smartphones.  Most manfacturers do not upgrade the Wi-Fi to "ac" nor do they upgrade the LTE to cat 4 or higher to get at least 150mb/sec.

• Reply 84 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Buyers will also receive 16 gigabytes of on-board storage alongside a 2,600 mAh battery. A 13-megapixel camera sits on the rear, while a 5-megapixel front-facing camera adds "advanced selfie features" like "auto selfie" mode, in which users can trigger the shutter with a voice command or by waving their hand.

What the F? So the "advanced selfie features" are that you can take automatic selfies of your hand? To trigger a selfie, I have the "convenience" to wave my hand in front of the lens? 

Who thought that was a bright idea? There really is many a slip 'tween the cup and the lip.

• Reply 85 of 99
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

What the F? So the "advanced selfie features" are that you can take automatic selfies of your hand? To trigger a selfie, I have the "convenience" to wave my hand in front of the lens? 

Who thought that was a bright idea? There really is many a slip 'tween the cup and the lip.

You don't suppose the company that ranks second in patents granted annually would think to include a slight delay between the trigger gesture and the shutter being triggered?

Excuse me for a moment while I draft my patent.

• Reply 86 of 99
    What profit margins? :D

Also, if a person can afford an iPhone...they're buying the iPhone instead of the Samsung 'also available at flea market prices' Android phone.
  • Reply 87 of 99

That phone looks exactly like an iPhone 5 except with square and oval buttons.  How can they do this without getting sued?

• Reply 88 of 99
    kgb33 wrote: »
    That phone looks exactly like an iPhone 5 except with square and oval buttons.  How can they do this without getting sued?

Because patents are worthless now; American justice has decreed it.
  • Reply 89 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KGB33 View Post

That's funny, that is almost what I thought when I saw the iPhone 6 and thought about the similar design elements it copied from the Nokia 720.

• Reply 90 of 99

Do they really still not have 64-bit 2 years later? What gives? Or did I read that wrong.

• Reply 91 of 99
    dstarsboy wrote: »
    Do they really still not have 64-bit 2 years later? What gives? Or did I read that wrong.

Unlike for iOS users it wouldn't do anything for Android users until Google fixes their code.
  • Reply 92 of 99
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Unlike for iOS users it wouldn't do anything for Android users until Google fixes their code.

What do you mean? Android is open so you or I can download it, make modifications, compile it, and install it. /s
  • Reply 93 of 99
    mac_128 wrote: »
    I've got no issues with "light". But thin is relative. Apple can innovate all they want. There are all kinds of reasons to develop than as you say. My 5S is about as thin as I want a phone to get. And it's already hard to handle the way I had become accustomed to using the iPhone. The balance is all wrong in one hand. The 6 is a mess to hold as far as I'm concerned. And the 6 Plus is a train-wreck for me -- and I have big hands. And for that matter, the 5S is about as Light as I want my phone to be. It feels increasingly fragile the more I use it.

Now these innovations do wondrous things for the iPad as far as weight is concerned, and I'm sure for the users of the 6 Plus as well given it's ridiculous size for a phone. But Apple seems to be driven by shaving microns off of their devices, rather than any other aspect of their functionality, as a way to distinguish them from the competition. Every time they dwell on thinness and make it the focus of their keynote presentation and marketing, I cringe. Who cares!? Not every device needs to be super thin if it feels wrong in your hands, or compromises some other aspect that might be more important to the consumer. Think about it -- have TV remotes gotten super thin? No. There's battery technology that many use that allows them to do just that, but in the end it's about the function of the device and how it fits in the hand. I'm not saying thin is bad in all cases, I'm just saying, why is it a focal point on something that doesn't necessarily need it, or help it for that matter? 

I consider my 6 Plus to be an iPad mini mini with cellular capability. It's less of a phone and more of a tablet.

Yes I first returned it for being too big and got the 6 then couldn't live with the tiny screen on the regular 6.

Compromises one way or another. Choose wisely.
  • Reply 94 of 99
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    pfisher wrote: »
    the tiny screen on the regular 6.
    Cripes. If that's the gradient then the 27" iMac is going to be a phone before long.
  • Reply 95 of 99
    maxitmaxit Posts: 222member
    asdasd wrote: »
    Hey the softwares a dog, let's throw 8 cores at it!
    Typical Samsung's solution.....

What a joke of a company.
  • Reply 96 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxIT View Post

Typical Samsung's solution.....

What a joke of a company.

I thought the idea was originally ARMs - you know - the BigLittle thing.  Not to mention Intel and AMD of course.

• Reply 97 of 99
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Cripes. If that's the gradient then the 27" iMac is going to be a phone before long.

Relatively speaking, the 27" iMac is a phone compared to our 73" (small now) Mitsubishi home theater system.

• Reply 98 of 99
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    pfisher wrote: »
    Relatively speaking, the 27" iMac is a phone compared to our 73" (small now) Mitsubishi home theater system.

Get the 100" Panasonic plasma ;)
  • Reply 99 of 99
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Get the 100" Panasonic plasma image

Baby steps....rich baby, tho!