Apple's 'iPhone 6s' again rumored to feature 'Force Touch', 2GB RAM

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    foggyhill wrote: »
    IOS 8 I think is now over 70%, so a bit slower, but not slow at all. Main reason it is slower, you can actually refuse to put it on now without it taking storage on your device (which wasn't the case up until now).

I'm surprised someone didn't sue Apple over that. Thankfully they're no longer doing it. I have a friend who is still running iOS 6 on her iPhone 5 and we were trying to FaceTime the other day without any success. It wasn't until several unsuccessful attempts that I remembered FaceTime was broken and Apple only patched it for devices running iOS 7+ and devices that couldn't upgrade to iOS 7. Hopefully we don't see moves like that again as I think people are going to be slower to upgrade waiting for more stable, less buggy software. My parents have an iPad mini and I told them not to upgrade to iOS 8 yet. In fact I'd probably get them another iPad before ever putting iOS 8 on the one they have. iOS 8 and A5 aren't a great mix.
  • Reply 42 of 47
    loekf wrote: »
    The endless number of times my iPad Air's Safari gives "an error occured, this page will be reloaded" and the visible impact you
    get from keeping the number of page tabs as low as possible, gives me all reasons to believe with iOS8 1GB and a retina HD screen memory is very very tight.

Given the already high margin they have on e.g. an iPad, makes me again and again wonder why they couldn't miss the 3-5 USD for 1 GB RAM.

I'm already looking forward (not !!) when the more bloated (I'm very sure) iOS9 comes...

I still regularly get that warning on my iPad Air 2, especially on Apple Insider.
  • Reply 43 of 47
    apple ][ wrote: »
    ireland wrote: »

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">On the feature of Force Touch I don't get why a smartphone would need that feature. A smartwatch or a tablet would have reasons, but a phone, not so much.</span>

How would you know? Have you ever used a "force touch" display before? I haven't. Before the iPhone and iPad, most people had never even used a multi-touch display before.

I think that certain apps and games could certainly make use of such a feature. Pressing a button or box in an app could make it act differently, depending on if somebody presses it, or if they merely tap it.

This haptic touch sounds like a recipe for disaster.

One can tap pretty forcefully. I can see taps being interpreted as pushes and vice versa.

Sounds sub-optimal.
  • Reply 44 of 47
    pmz wrote: »
    ireland wrote: »

It was kind of stingy of Apple not to add 2GB RAM to iPhone 6. If Apple's goal is to make the best products in the world the 6 should have gotten 2GB RAM.
    Its incredibly entertaining to watch this kind of comment get thrown around by people that have no idea what they're talking about.

The iPhone 6 in no way shape or form gives any indication that it needs more RAM. Not one aspect of using the device lends itself to that.

You people are so out to lunch, grasping at whatever straw you can find, it is HILARIOUS.

BTW, I have the iPad Air 2 as well, and see absolutely no difference between it and the iPad Air (which I also still have) in any aspect that might be considered a RAM intensive situation. In terms of real world use, non existent.

In fact, the iPad Air 2 has its own issues that make it a worse product than the Air in terms of user experience...and of course none of that can be affected or influenced by RAM.

I miss the mute switch, too.
  • Reply 45 of 47
    pscooter63 wrote: »
    pmz wrote: »
    In fact, the iPad Air 2 has its own issues that make it a worse product than the Air in terms of user experience

Without wandering too far afield of the topic at hand, and as an Air 2 owner who did NOT own the original Air, I'm interested to hear how it is "a worse product" than its predecessor.  Did I miss a thread on that?

I thought both the Air and the Air 2 were multi-threaded, but perhaps I missed the memo.
  • Reply 46 of 47
    mpantone wrote: »
    adonissmu wrote: »

Nor should they. They should be concerned with performance with the materials they are using. If more RAM isn't going to add enough of a benefit then Apple should not include more RAM.

I agree, however some people are spec addicts. That's an inherent part of the consumer electronics consuming public. They cry for more pixels, faster CPUs, etc. without understanding the implications of those requests.

And there are plenty of people who don't understand the challenges of consumer electronics manufacturing, running a profitable business unit at a Fortune 500 company, or even high-school level physics.

Even if one could enlighten everyone with an AppleInsider login today, someone new is going to register tomorrow, probably without that level of understanding. New people show up every day. Remember, there are people commenting on this forum who weren't even alive when this site started.

I imagine some would argue that there are those here who weren't even born when the iPhone was revealed. ????
  • Reply 47 of 47

I think Force Touch was originally used by the Jedi