Samsung hires former president of Jony Ive's old design studio for global initiative

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    ascii wrote: »

Yes, there would be a lot of expectation. And management would have to give him a lot of creative control like Steve Jobs did to Jony Ive and Tim Cook has let continue. I don't know the Samsung management, if they're capable of that, or are the kind who all want to add their own 2c to the design.

Either way and I suspect the latter, he hasn't got control of the eco system or the software. Apple's success is about all of this and more. Jony could go to Samsung or anywhere else have zero success, just as Ron Johnson discovered, no offense to Jony, I am sure he is aware it is the sum of the parts.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    Looks like a knee-jerk reaction – and, I'd be very surprised if this is the first good designer they've ever hired. Any major company knows you need to have a good designer somewhere. And if those good designers haven't turn the ship around so far, this doesn't sound like much. I think it's so funny that Samsung is even copying where Apple hires their top execs from. I guess copying is what they're best at.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Samsung hires someone directly connected to Apple: copying

Samsung hires someone barely connected to Apple: copying

Samsung hires someone barely connected to someone hired by Apple: copying

Samsung hires someone: copying.

- AppleInsider forums

• Reply 24 of 29
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

- AppleInsider forums

Samsung = copying. It's what they do.

• Reply 25 of 29
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

You do know, I hope, that Jony Ive's DNA is also in his most satisfying dump?

Yikes! That explains why Cupertino sewage workers tend to wear Samsung sweat shirts.

And H.W. Bush's leadership abilities can't be found in his offspring.

I think we all figured that one out a long time ago

All that said, it's a good move for Samsung to buy a professional designer... such people are highly put off by being told to copy someone else's designs. Now, I ask, can one man change the culture of a group of crooks and thieves? Especially since he's not part of the leadership mafia.

I don't know anything about Don-tae Lee but I assume he is a very talented designer. Somehow I don't think design is Samsung's primary problem, however. In the same way Jony Ive is not the reason behind Apple's success. In the same way Tim Cook is not Apple. I think the foundations to Apple's success were laid a long time ago and the challenge is to stay true to them. What are the core values of Samsung? Do they even know themselves?
  • Reply 26 of 29
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Why so harsh on the man? He has done some good work:

From an 2013 article:

That Tangerine company designed some funky stuff:

I think I saw this chair in District 9, and it was alive!

• Reply 27 of 29
    Looking for a hit performance, the studio hires the manager of the actor who won the Academy Award last year.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    ireland wrote: »
    crowley wrote: »

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">- AppleInsider forums</span>

Samsung = copying. It's what they do.

Samsung are thieves.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    Bright TVs + spacious refrigerators + imitation phones = that's Samsung for you! ????