Samsung to ape Apple's Touch ID with touch-style fingerprint sensor in 'Galaxy S6' - report

Comments

• Reply 121 of 237
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    rogifan wrote: »
    So Apple's the only company that is prototyping stuff behind the scenes? Everyone else is sitting there twiddling their thumbs until the hear an Apple rumor and then they rush to the copy machines?

You got it, bub. Don't you remember Cook saying it's unfair that Apple does the r and d for all the copycats? They spend the coin prototyping from scratch, whereas the copycats just clone.

Not a difficult concept if you're willing to stop being obtuse.
  • Reply 122 of 237
    rogifan wrote: »
    I agree with everything you said here except I don't think the competition was/is floundering. And I don't think the 6 and 6 Plus were Apple waiting to jump in until they could do it better. I think there's lots of reasons the iPhone is better than the competition but I'm not sure what about the 6/6 Plus specifically makes them better large screen devices than their competitors. Below is an LG G3 and an iPhone 6 Plus. Both devices have a 5.5" display yet the 6 Plus has a much larger overall footprint. How is the 6 Plus a better implementation of the 'phablet' than the G3? I'll ask the same question with the iPhone 6 compared to the Moto X. The iPhone 6 is almost as tall as the Moto X even though the Moto X has a 5.2" display compared to the iPhone's 4.7" display.

iPhone-6-Plus-vs-LG-G3-11-620x618.jpg

Apple-iPhone-6-vs-Motorola-Moto-X-2014-TI.jpg

To me a better implementation would have been to not ship a large screen device until Apple could figure out what to do with the home button/Touch ID so they could reduce the bezels and keep the overall device from getting much larger. But of course that wasn't going to happen as there's no way Apple could go another yesr without a larger screened iPhone.

iPhones implementation is better despite the larger size due to presence of the Touch ID sensor. Period.
  • Reply 123 of 237
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Then why did they, because they wanted to, or because they had to?

Because they wanted to - the time was right. They could have at any point, as Ive mentioned somewhere.
  • Reply 124 of 237
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    plovell wrote: »

D'oh. Do you think they will create a Press Release saying that they're copying, or rushing to market? Not even Samsung is that stupid.

But I said "press reports" and not "press releases" from makers. If you want those, here are a few I found with a couple of minutes of Google ...

With Apple's 'iWatch' around the corner, Wellograph releases sapphire smartwatch
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/09/02/with-apples-iwatch-around-the-corner-wellograph-releases-sapphire-smartwatch

Pebble smartwatch gets $50 price cut, background tracking for fitness & sleep
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/09/30/pebble-smartwatch-gets-50-price-cut-background-tracking-for-fitness-sleep

First look: Metawatch's iPhone-connected Meta M1 smartwatch
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/09/08/first-look-metas-iphone-connected-m1-smartwatch

Review roundup: Motorola's Moto 360 is the best smartwatch yet, but poor battery life is unacceptable
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/09/05/review-roundup-motorolas-moto-360-is-the-best-smartwatch-yet-but-poor-battery-life-is-unacceptable

Pebble's iOS-compatible Steel smart watch hits Best Buy with leather band-only bundle
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/06/11/pebbles-ios-compatible-steel-smart-watch-hits-best-buy-with-20-discount-

Funny how all the articles are from AI.
  • Reply 125 of 237
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

Implementing a 64-bit OS is a mandatory part of the innovation. Next.

I agree.  I was only pointing out that they actually had a 64bit processor on the market because the person I was replying to was making the claim they had yet to make one.  Can Samsung technically make a 64 bit version of Android or do they have to wait for Google to provide one?

They do appear to be well on the way to Tizen 3.0 which will be 64 bit.  Personally I don't think phones need 64 bit processors as they are overkill.  It's a solution looking for a problem but it is definitely here to stay.

• Reply 126 of 237
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I don't see how they would be able to do this without touching Apple's patents.

Today in court Apple accused Samsung of inappropriate touching.

• Reply 127 of 237
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    Because they wanted to - the time was right. They could have at any point, as Ive mentioned somewhere.

I believe that they had to. One they had painted themselves into a corner design wise, and the only change other than thinner was to go bigger, and two I think they were afraid of more people going to the competition if they didn’t go bigger.
  • Reply 128 of 237
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by plovell View Post

D'oh. Do you think they will create a Press Release saying that they're copying, or rushing to market? Not even Samsung is that stupid.

But I said "press reports" and not "press releases" from makers. If you want those, here are a few I found with a couple of minutes of Google ...

With Apple's 'iWatch' around the corner, Wellograph releases sapphire smartwatch

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/09/02/with-apples-iwatch-around-the-corner-wellograph-releases-sapphire-smartwatch

Pebble smartwatch gets $50 price cut, background tracking for fitness & sleep

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/09/30/pebble-smartwatch-gets-50-price-cut-background-tracking-for-fitness-sleep

First look: Metawatch's iPhone-connected Meta M1 smartwatch

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/09/08/first-look-metas-iphone-connected-m1-smartwatch

Review roundup: Motorola's Moto 360 is the best smartwatch yet, but poor battery life is unacceptable

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/09/05/review-roundup-motorolas-moto-360-is-the-best-smartwatch-yet-but-poor-battery-life-is-unacceptable

Pebble's iOS-compatible Steel smart watch hits Best Buy with leather band-only bundle

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/06/11/pebbles-ios-compatible-steel-smart-watch-hits-best-buy-with-20-discount-

Funny how all the articles are from AI.

No - because that's where I went to find them. 

It would be a bit rude, for example, to post links to The Mac Observer, MacRumors and thaw on AppleInsider's site, wouldn't it. But have a look and you'll find similar ones on all of them. 

• Reply 129 of 237

It would be a bit rude, for example, to post links to The Mac Observer, MacRumors and thaw on AppleInsider's site, wouldn't it. But have a look and you'll find similar ones on all of them. 

How about a unbiased site? Those exist you know.
  • Reply 130 of 237
    I bet Apple Fanboys are loving this since the last 5 years Apple has done nothing original and IOS is increasingly becoming a carbon copy of Android.
  • Reply 131 of 237
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

A shirt comes in different sizes -- is the shirt company innovative for releasing it in "extra large"? Are other shirt companies "aping" it (which implies a hamfisted approach that lacks understanding, thus the term ape) when they release their own shirts in extra large? Nope.

Yea, but here we have the  head of the shirt company loudly and publicly declaring that only the one size of the two particular styles of shirt they make are viable.  Then the same company turns around and does exactly what they, by implication, criticised other for doing - releasing shirts both smaller and larger than the sizes they had earlier claimed were the best.

• Reply 132 of 237
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member
    Quote:

I believe that they had to. One they had painted themselves into a corner design wise, and the only change other than thinner was to go bigger, and two I think they were afraid of more people going to the competition if they didn’t go bigger.

So design wise, Apple was doing exactly as it has done with almost all its products for the last decade, now including the Mac Pro; making them thinner / smaller. Some corner.

I'll give you that Apple "finally" got into the market for "phat" phones, but, I'll also take the position that Apple waited until they could do it right, backed of course by continuing success and profits with a 4 inch iPhone, Who knew that the success of the iPhone 6 / 6 Plus would have give such an earnings shock to Samsung?

Not seeing how Samsung is going to make a comeback competing against Apple; they aren't making the same profits and are getting eaten from below by Chinese OEM's. Might have something to do with not controlling their own OS, and not really being all that innovative.

• Reply 133 of 237
    dasanman69 wrote: »

So? Nowhere did Jobs say anything about SCREEN size. He was talking about PHONE size. From Jobs position, with the technology available at the time (processor and GPU performance, battery technology) and Apples requirements for responsiveness and customer interaction, a large screen phone was stupid.

Why is it we get people who always take quotes from Jobs that are many years old and apply it to technology that's available today? At the time Jobs said it he was CORRECT. Especially in the context of Apples goals for ALL aspects of the device.

Apple made the iPhone 6 larger because their own internal documents about what customers want showed people are interested in larger screened iPhones. This all came out in the Samsung trial.

So Apple responds to customers wishes for larger iPhones and they are somehow copying? Does anyone have any documentation to show Apple custoners wanted large screen phones back in 2010?
  • Reply 134 of 237
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Yea, but here we have the  head of the shirt company loudly and publicly declaring that only the one size of the two particular styles of shirt they make are viable.  Then the same company turns around and does exactly what they, by implication, criticised other for doing - releasing shirts both smaller and larger than the sizes they had earlier claimed were the best.

Seems like Apple has done pretty well with that strategy, and note that most if not all of its competitors have also made similar statements that are later refuted by actual product introductions.

The real world of marketing, and you would fault Apple for changing its mind on occasion? Oh, to be a purist.

• Reply 135 of 237
    Anything you can do I can do crappier. I can do anything crappier than you.
  • Reply 136 of 237
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by plovell View Post

How about a unbiased site? Those exist you know.

Dasan: I don't have to spoon-feed you, you know. I said press reports and you asked for them. So I went and found them for you. 

OK - I'll give you two more. Is "The Verge" independent enough for you?

Which smartwatch should you buy?

http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/25/5937835/android-wear-pebble-smartwatch-buying-guide

Choice quote: "...but it's likely that far better things are right around the corner, and the smart move might just be to wait for those."

Meta Watch's 'premium' smartwatch is now available for preorder

http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/8/5982439/meta-watch-meta-m1-premium-smartwatch-preorder-price

Quote: "There's also the looming spectre of an Apple smartwatch, which many are convinced will be the product to upend the smartwatch and wearable world."

• Reply 137 of 237
    tmay wrote: »
    So design wise, Apple was doing exactly as it has done with almost all its products for the last decade, now including the Mac Pro; making them thinner / smaller. Some corner.

I'll give you that Apple "finally" got into the market for "phat" phones, but, I'll also take the position that Apple waited until they could do it right, backed of course by continuing success and profits with a 4 inch iPhone, Who knew that the success of the iPhone 6 / 6 Plus would have give such an earnings shock to Samsung?

Not seeing how Samsung is going to make a comeback competing against Apple; they aren't making the same profits and are getting eaten from below by Chinese OEM's. Might have something to do with not controlling their own OS, and not really being all that innovative.

Customers expect more of a design change in a smartphone than they do in a laptop.

How did having their own OS work out for Palm? It's not the formula to success that you think it is.
  • Reply 138 of 237

Dasan: I don't have to spoon-feed you, you know. I said press reports and you asked for them. So I went and found them for you. 

OK - I'll give you two more. Is "The Verge" independent enough for you?

Which smartwatch should you buy?
    http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/25/5937835/android-wear-pebble-smartwatch-buying-guide

Choice quote: "...but it's likely that far better things are right around the corner, and the smart move might just be to wait for those."

Meta Watch's 'premium' smartwatch is now available for preorder
    http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/8/5982439/meta-watch-meta-m1-premium-smartwatch-preorder-price

Quote: "There's also the looming spectre of an Apple smartwatch, which many are convinced will be the product to upend the smartwatch and wearable world."

All that says is that they expect the Apple Watch to be better than what's currently available. Nothing about them making a watch because of rumors.
  • Reply 139 of 237
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    tmay wrote: »
    The market has decided that as a premium / flagship device, iPhone 6 / 6 Plus is better.

Now that Apple has "copied" Samsung's big screen, what does Samsung have left to compete with in the market?

IoT? 

Because it's an iPhone and it runs iOS. I'm sure anybody that owns a 6 or 6 Plus would love it as much if not more if it was slightly smaller with smaller bezels.
  • Reply 140 of 237
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    Nonsense. Gimmick.

Curved monitors are a gimmick? According to who?