Three men tunnel into Beijing warehouse, make off with $300,000 worth of iPhones

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Unrelated but anyone see this?

Xiaomi claims they're not an Apple copycat.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102343384?__source=yahoonews&par=yahoonews
  • Reply 22 of 57
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

I thought this was going to be one of those 'funny caption' competitions.

• Reply 23 of 57
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,298member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

No, it's not cool. People will steal anything not locked down or electrified in China, given the opportunity. Theft of all kinds rampant.

There's a fine line between being a thief and being "entrepreneurial" or "a hedge fund manager". 

• Reply 24 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Could you provide a link please.  I can find no reference to the iPhone.  The multiple accounts I have read all just say there was one thief and that the truck was recovered four days later because he managed to crash it into a utility pole.

• Reply 25 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

I thought this was going to be one of those 'funny caption' competitions.

"Hello? Can you hear me now?"

• Reply 26 of 57
    Story tax luxury goods are taxed is partially wrong. Whilst this is correct for imported goods so carry a large import into China duty more than 50% depending on item. And Assumed not snuggled.
    iPhones are made in China so are not subject to such tax.
    But they have vat added for domestic sales hence the cost difference between HK and China.
    Products manufactured in China which are exported can claim from government a rebait duty. Often companies sell goods at cost price for international business and rely on export rebait as the profit. But the domestic price is higher to offset this difference which has to include the vat. Unless black market or factory gate price ( ie sold out back door) as I been living and working in China for six year in Shenzhen. I feel more than qualified to educate on this report.
  • Reply 28 of 57
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member

pointless since the serial numbers would be known to apple & authorities, and easily blocked from activation

• Reply 29 of 57
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I wonder if Samsung will now hire someone to steal some Galaxy S5's. :D
  • Reply 30 of 57
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In a separate case, a man tried to smuggle 94 iPhones from Hong Kong to mainland China under his clothes.

Apple unveils new TeamApple cycling outfits.

• Reply 31 of 57
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

I wonder what kind of contract Apple has with its suppliers and warehouses regarding theft.   Based on the contract for the GTAT Sapphire supplier, it's probably something like Apple is not responsible for payment of product until they are delivered to Apple, Apple Stores, or resellers.

My guess is that it's Foxconn/Pegatron/whoever that is liable until an Apple employee (or authorized agent) signs a bill of lading stating that they accept the delivery of ___ into (Apple-controlled) Warehouse X/Y/Z, which is probably in the air cargo terminal of a large Chinese airport (Shenzhen, Guangzhou, etc.). They remain Apple's property until they leave a loading dock to be loaded onto a cargo jet, at which point FedEx/UPS/whoever are the liable party(ies) as the consignees.

Apple pre-pays a lot of their suppliers; likely the contracts are written so various partners assume liability when the items are not in Apple's actual possession.

Note that this isn't any different than liability that covers other items. Let's say I'm a strawberry farmer and I wish to export some of my crop to Japan. Well, the liability rests with me until the pallet of produce leaves my loading dock, then it's responsibility of the trucking company. Now if the berries fall off a Port of Oakland fork lifter, well, it's likely the fault of Port of Oakland dock operators. If the boat capsizes in SF Bay, well, it would be the ship operator. The transfer of liability for commercial items is usually defined by a paper trail.

• Reply 32 of 57
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    cnocbui wrote: »

People see only what they want to see.

A Truck Full Of 22,500 LG G2 Phones Gets Stolen in Indiana

... The phones were found abandoned as the thieves made off with the valuable truck.
  • Reply 33 of 57
    I wonder if I can go through customs with fruits and vegetables taped to my underwear like that...
  • Reply 34 of 57
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I guess they don't have metal detectors at the borders over there.

• Reply 35 of 57

That's one fantastic fox con 

• Reply 36 of 57
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

I can't help but have a level of respect for these truly ambitious, creative, and dedicated heists that take a fuckload of planning and work to pull off. 

• Reply 37 of 57
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I can't help but have a level of respect for these truly ambitious, creative, and dedicated heists that take a fuckload of planning and work to pull off. 

What is so great about stealing the phones? You would not say this dumb crack if it was your warehouse they broke into and stole these phones.

• Reply 38 of 57
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Your "news" source does not know the difference between "there" and "their". I especially do not trust any journalists who do not know how to write and spell basic words.

I don't trust what AI journalists write either.

• Reply 39 of 57
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    Because nobody misses them.
    If Samsung Galaxy S5's shipped to a warehouse were stolen from there, Samsung would gladly mark them as "sold through" instead of "shipped."

Hence the reason why "shipped" as a metric is meaningless.

The phones could be shipped to a landfill, or immediately recycled into Occulus Rift's, and Samsung would still consider it shipped.
  • Reply 40 of 57
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    I wonder if I can go through customs with fruits and vegetables taped to my underwear like that...
    Not after the CBP beagle sniffs your butt and alerts to the banana.