Apple once again alerts iOS 8 app developers to upcoming 64-bit requirement

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by clexman View Post

Chipmakers couldn't have been in too big a rush to deliver a me too product. We are at 16 months since the iPhone 5s was announced and 64-bit competition is finally starting to trickle out.

Or another way of putting it, Qualcomm and Samsung are behind the power curve, and will likely have volume shipments early spring, a few months before Apple is on its third generation 64 bit processor, delivered in volume. Whether that translates to even more profit for Apple is unknown, but it would seem that Apple will carry over that advantage for years. I doubt that Qualcomm is too concerned by the Snapdragon 810 deliveries, but Samsung's lack of an effective Exynos processor has likely reduced Samsung mobiles profits.

• Reply 22 of 36
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    64bit will realistically only benefit a small number of Apps. You don't need 64bit performance for e-mail, Facebook or countless other Apps. That's not the point. For those Apps that can utilize the extra performance it's welcome. Better to make a device that's more powerful than what you need so it's at least capable of doing advanced functions than some hobbled device that can't ever take you to new levels in terms of what it can do.

So using this logic does it really make sense for new iOS devices to still ship with 1GB RAM?
  • Reply 23 of 36
    rogifan wrote: »
    64bit will realistically only benefit a small number of Apps. You don't need 64bit performance for e-mail, Facebook or countless other Apps. That's not the point. For those Apps that can utilize the extra performance it's welcome. Better to make a device that's more powerful than what you need so it's at least capable of doing advanced functions than some hobbled device that can't ever take you to new levels in terms of what it can do.

So using this logic does it really make sense for new iOS devices to still ship with 1GB RAM?

Indeed.

Calling Cook a book-cooker would be going too far, but he sure like to bury his nose in the accounts. He needs to lift his eyes and look at the wood a bit more.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,896moderator
    Quote:

Originally Posted by guiguihip View Post

Will all these new 64-bit apps and updates be compatible with non-64-bit devices that still run iOS 8(iPod Touch 5th generation, iPad 2, 3, 4, first generation iPad mini, iPhone 4s, 5)? As in will they be allowed to download them let alone use them? Or will it be like iPhone 4 users who want to download an app that requires iOS 8 but that has an older version that supports iOS 7, which the iPhone 4 can download?

When compiled as Apple requires, an app will contain both 64-bit and 32-bit binaries.  64-bit iDevices will then run the 64-bit binary, all others will run the 32-bit binary.

• Reply 25 of 36
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    Every single thing you do. If all your Apps support 64bit then it improves overall performance as iOS doesn't need to load libraries for both (when you have both a 32bit AND 64bit App running). You can run a system monitor App and see which Apps are 32bit and which are 64bit under the list of processes. It's less efficient to run a mix of both on a system.

Depending on the device architecture, but generally there is always a performance increase when software is run as 64-bit instead of 32-bit. I imagine Google's chrome dev's had it's arm twisted pretty hard, sticking to that "no web app would ever use 64bit" when that's factually wrong. Facebook and Twitter actually do make use of 64-bit, as webapps, because their "infinite" scrolling mechanic doesn't garbage-collect as you scroll. You might wonder what the point of running Twitter for several days straight is, but that is indeed what many people do, and it's really annoying on 32-bit browsers to have twitter crash because the browser tab exhausted what resources it had available.

What this means is that Apple could stick more than 4GB of ram in future devices and not have a boat load of 32-bit software be unable to deal with it.

For devices that aren't 64-bit, I would hope that binaries are still available in 32-bit, in addition to the 64-bit and that Apple doesn't phase out the 32-bit devices until device storage actually comes standard with 64GB, as most 16GB devices can't deal with large apps already.

I still wish it was possible to have a SD-card (microSDXC) card in these devices, not to store the applications, but to store the user-specific data (eg music, photos, video and eBooks), because it's not possible to have a WiFi/Data connection everywhere.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,150member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Little harsh, you think?

No, Rogifan has proven many times that she simply doesn't understand technology, regardless the number of times her very similar comments have been answered.

She is doing her utmost to turning AppleInsider's forum into the useless cacophony that is now MacRumors.

Her typical M.O. is to post some nonsensical bombastic claim/theory, and when it gets shattered by some comment, to clam up and disappear. Then a few days later, she make a nearly-identical claim/observation. Rinse and repeat.

Now if she were a newcomer, we'd probably cut her some slack, but she has been here (and other sites) long enough to have had this sort of stuff (basic concepts) explained to her multiple times. 

• Reply 27 of 36
    mpantone wrote: »
    Little harsh, you think?

No, Rogifan has proven many times that she simply doesn't understand technology, regardless the number of times her very similar comments have been answered.

She is doing her utmost to turning AppleInsider's forum into the useless cacophony that is now MacRumors.

Her typical M.O. is to post some nonsensical bombastic claim/theory, and when it gets shattered by some comment, to clam up and disappear. Then a few days later, she make a nearly-identical claim/observation. Rinse and repeat.

Now if she were a newcomer, we'd probably cut her some slack, but she has been here (and other sites) long enough to have had this sort of stuff (basic concepts) explained to her multiple times. 

Little harsh, you think?
  • Reply 28 of 36
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    mpantone wrote: »

I disagree. I think she has shown to be much more technically inclined -and- informed than most. That said, I do often disagree with her on the finer details of many topics, but I wouldn't call anyone unlearned in technology simply for disagreeing me.

As for this forum turning into MR, this forum has the best posters and MR has worst (expect maybe for Daring Fireball with Comments which is pretty much a Wild Wild West with its account-free posting), and I don't feel that it's even moving in that direction, and if it is, it's not because of [@]Rogifan[/@].
  • Reply 29 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Next up, Apple needs to ban any apps that can only be used by selling your soul—ie. having to register with an email and password.

i ran into this recently -- i bought an $80 cookbook app (Modernist Cuisine at Home), but in order to use the sync features (notes, shopping lists, etc) you have to register and sign-in via an email account. but guess what? they only let you use it on TWO DEVICES! so if you have three devices (my phone, an ipad at home, and ipad mini in my briefcase), you cant use those features. nuts. i emailed them and they said it was due to an agreement w/ the publishers (of the paper/bound source book, i presume).

total crap. app piracy/abuse is already dealt with via Apple IDs and authorized downloads. 

• Reply 30 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

Intensive video or image processing would seem more enjoyable and efficient on a desktop with a nice 27 inch monitor. Having a fast processor doesn't necessarily make a 4 inch phone the right tool for the job.

just as in the famous apple commercial, ive made some great vacation videos for my family while on the road -- using photos & video taken during the trip. did it on the plane on the way home, no 27" monitor required. the software is that good.

the use case holds.

• Reply 31 of 36
    Quote:

Calling Cook a book-cooker would be going too far, but he sure like to bury his nose in the accounts. He needs to lift his eyes and look at the wood a bit more.

hmmm yeah Cook is the top executive of the biggest, most profitable, most successful tech company in human history. youre some guy known for his apple watch trolling on a web forum. do you really think he needs your advice? nah. 

• Reply 32 of 36
    Quote:

Little harsh, you think?

nope. but birds of feather tend to flock together.

• Reply 33 of 36
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member

I expect this to mean that iOS 9 will be completely 100% 64 bit and will run like an absolute beast on an iPhone 6/iPad Air 2. 

• Reply 34 of 36
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:

Good.

Next up, Apple needs to ban any apps that can only be used by selling your soul—ie. having to register with an email and password.

Is Cook a big advocate of IADS? I don't know. But I would prefer apps to use those if they have to rather than forcing users to set up accounts.

I hate apps like that, especially ones that require you to log in with a Facebook account. 

• Reply 35 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

I expect this to mean that iOS 9 will be completely 100% 64 bit and will run like an absolute beast on an iPhone 6/iPad Air 2. 

And needless to say (but I'm saying it anyway), it will be even more of a beast on the iPhone 6S/ 7!

• Reply 36 of 36
    feynman wrote: »

I thought iOS has been completely 64/but I the devices that support it? Do you mean App Store apps?