New Chinese Apple Store offers taste of upcoming San Francisco flagship

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2015
Apple on Tuesday removed protective barriers shielding its new Apple Store in Hangzhou, China, revealing a huge glass facade that opens into a split-level interior closely mirroring renderings depicting the tech giant's forthcoming San Francisco flagship location.

Source: MacX

As seen in photos posted to Chinese Apple forum MacX, Apple's West Lake storefront in Hangzhou appears to be a close relative to the company's Union Square outlet in San Francisco.

Aesthetic similarities may be inevitable given both the Hangzhou and Union Square Apple Stores were designed by Foster+Partners, the design firm responsible for multiple Apple retail shops as well as the company's iconic Campus 2 project in Cupertino.

While the overall designs are consistent, the Hangzhou outlet is smaller than its California sibling. When it opens, the San Francisco location is expected to feature two 44-foot-tall steel-framed sliding glass doors that grant entry into an expansive two-level showroom flanked on either side by large staircases. Instead of West Lake's closed back wall, Union Square will include passage onto a second level patio area with tables, chairs and waterfall feature.

Prior to Tuesday's unveiling, the Hangzhou store was shrouded by white protective barriers bearing a red Apple logo and a Chinese poem artfully painted by distinguished calligrapher Wang Dongling. Before being taken down, the calligraphy was immortalized in a video posted to Apple's official Chinese website, which is still available for viewing as of this writing. A recreation of the poem can be found on the West Lake Apple Store's informational webpage.

Last Thursday, Apple SVP of Retail Angela Ahrendts said the company plans to open five Chinese stores in as many weeks as part of an aggressive retail expansion set to play out across mainland China. Everything seems to be going according to plan as Apple unwrapped a flagship in Chongqing earlier this month. The location is the second in China to sport a distinctive cylindrical glass entryway, a feature also found sitting atop the Pudong outlet in Shanghai. Apple's Chongqing outlet has not yet been assigned an official opening date.

The West Lake Apple Store in Hangzhou opens to the public on Saturday, Jan. 24 at 9 a.m. local time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    The use of art inside the stores, and the poem on this new Chinese store, were both very classy moves. I'm starting to like Angela Ahrendts' work.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    ascii wrote: »
    The use of art inside the stores, and the poem on this new Chinese store, were both very classy moves. I'm starting to like Angela Ahrendts' work.

Agreed. I'm hoping if Apple has a Watch event this spring Angela gets some stage time. She hasn't had much of a visible presence since being hired. Hopefully that's not the case inside Apple.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Quite nice. It'll be even more impressive once packed with customers. ;)
  • Reply 4 of 12
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Beautiful! I'm back in China for the month of March and can't wait to see some of the new stores, and customer reactions. What is so sad is the fact that many, if not most, Chinese Mac customers load windoze on their computers and don't use OS X at all. Hopefully that will change soon.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member

What a beautiful store. Hopefully San Francisco will look much like this.

• Reply 6 of 12
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

http://www.apple.com/cn/retail/#video-westlake Highlights the poem. I just wish there were English subtitles, or that I knew Chinese lol

• Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Agreed. I'm hoping if Apple has a Watch event this spring Angela gets some stage time. She hasn't had much of a visible presence since being hired. Hopefully that's not the case inside Apple.

I'm sure she's beavering away quietly in the background.

• Reply 8 of 12
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    freerange wrote: »
    Beautiful! I'm back in China for the month of March and can't wait to see some of the new stores, and customer reactions. What is so sad is the fact that many, if not most, Chinese Mac customers load windoze on their computers and don't use OS X at all. Hopefully that will change soon.
    Really? They do? I guess you don't have stats or figures, but is that anecdotally 'true'?
  • Reply 9 of 12
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    freerange wrote: »

You have any evidence of this? It seems to make little sense given they could get a PC for a fraction of the cost.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    This is very reminiscent of the beautiful Apple Store on George St Sydney.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Nice to have this example of what the SF store may be like. Do any of you "insiders" know what the timeline is for the new SF store? I asked a salesman at the existing store a while back and he said they aren't given this info.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    I envy my brother in Shanghai, as he has so many Apple Stores to choose from, whereas me in Kuala Lumpur can only get our stuff from Resellers or the Online Store.

The Hangzhou Store is indeed very glassy and beautiful though, it's like a much bigger version of the one in Sydney's George St.!