Google updates Chrome Web browser for iOS with OS X Handoff support, 'material design'

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    crowley wrote: »
    Bit rude to describe something as silly before asking why, but ok.

I don't install extensions because broadly speaking and in my experience they slow down the browser and interfere with web browsing in ways that are sometimes unpredictable. I also don't necessarily trust extensions the way I trust my browser. Lots of personal and financial details pass through my browser, so having extensions which may be able to intercept that makes me uneasy. I prefer to not take that risk.

Re: Ad blockers, If a website earns its money through ad revenue then it should be able to show me ads when I visit the website. It is then my choice to not visit that website because of the ads. I don't like the idea of scamming content out of websites without allowing them their business model.

Re; ClickToFlash, my understanding is that if I use Safari without Flash installed (as is my preference, despite my resource issues) then the server will be notified than the ad or video or whatever has failed to serve. With ClickToFlash they get no such message, so ads are reported as seen. I think that's both dishonest and not particularly helpful to anyone.

You're welcome to disagree, but this doesn't really have anything to do with the thread, so if that's the case let's just agree to disagree.

You're right... silly was unnecessary. I also accept your reasoning for websites and their business models, because I do make use of white-listing many of the sites I frequent often. However, passing through just to speed read beyond a headline to see if the content or search turned up something relevant is why I use my bandwidth/memory saving extensions.

Just curious: are you also against OS utilities like LaunchBar or DefaultFolder as well? I personally use anything that I can find that speed up mundane computing, whether in browser, app plug-ins, or small helper apps. If I can link them through scripting or a keyboard macro process... even better.

Beating the dishonest ad revenues is easy and why I use the 3-point attack against the source of ads and tracking: AdBlock, Click-to-Flash (or equivalent) and Ghostery.

I don't disagree with your choice, insomuch as I personally can't imagine not saving time and unnecessary computing cycles by making use of innovative helper apps. I've been doing it for 30+ years now and I suppose I'm just as ornery in my ways and reasoning as you are... both of which I believe to be valid without resorting to "silly remarks" (my bad!)... :smokey:
  • Reply 42 of 57
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I keep wondering if this was the reverse how Android fans would react to Apple not adopting 'material design' principles for their apps. I doubt they'd be defending apples right to design consistency across platforms.
  • Reply 43 of 57
    relic wrote: »
    Why, it's a nice look. Personally I think it looks nicer than iOS but again iOS has been around for a long while now and probably should go through a makeover.
    Knowing you're a supporter of that god awful OS known as Windows 8 and failed experiments like Windows RT or Nokia's 2520, this is not a surprising comment. There is ZERO to like about this look, or anything to qualify it as "nice". It's childish, plain, and typical of many Linux distro's feeling of being amateurish.
  • Reply 44 of 57
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

Knowing you're a supporter of that god awful OS known as Windows 8 and failed experiments like Windows RT or Nokia's 2520, this is not a surprising comment. There is ZERO to like about this look, or anything to qualify it as "nice". It's childish, plain, and typical of many Linux distro's feeling of being amateurish.

That's like your opinion man. I happen to love Google's Material Design. To me, it looks way better than iOS 8 in many ways. All the Google apps I use on all my devices have the same consistent look and feel which is what I want. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean others don't have to like it as well. 

• Reply 45 of 57
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Funny, your trying to be insulting but those who actually use the Nokia 2520 no better and are actually more worried about making sure that they have another one at the ready in case God forbid something happens to their beloved. Yes, it run Windows RT but who cares, there are more than enough apps to make the device useful, has a full version of Office including Outlook and here is the big thing, unlike Android or iOS, you get a full desktop web browser with Flash, mobile browsers aren't nearly as good and frankly the Nokia utterly wipes the floor with them in this regard. Heard of web apps, if you don't use them yet you should, their fantastic, in fact I use them now almost exclusively over their desktop counterparts. Do you like battery life, how about 16 hours when the Nokia is paired with it's keyboard. The display has over 500 Nits of brightness, the Qualcomm 800 is more than capable of pushing the little guy without so much as a hick-up, I've yet to see any lag, that includes streaming a video wirelessly to my TV for the kids from OneDrive, logged into my server via VPN and a terminal compiling, playing Asphalt 7 all the while downloading the next movie from my Google Drive, can't do that on your iPad, nope, just one thing at a time. The Nokia can run whatever you want in the background without pausing it, which I hate, hate, hate. Has LTE, light weight, great construction and build quality, looks good, plays games extremely well like Modern Combat 5 using an Xbox wireless controller, also handles 128GB Mini SD cards. There hasn't been a single person who has ever used mine that didn't also buy one for themselves eventually, including a random stranger at StarBucks who, like you, went off on Windows RT and Nokia, after using mine for a good hour, I went with him to the Swisscom Shop, where he bought one for himself, even heard from him a few weeks later, he sold his Asus Transformer which he swore by as the best thing since making love in a vat of whipped cream,  even talked his father and two friends into getting one. So you go right ahead and call my Nokia crap because it doesn't fade me one bit, those who have them, love them. I personally have 2 extra ones and a keyboard still in the box, MS was selling them for 250 at the end. It's one of the best tablets I have ever owned and will continue to use one for the foreseeable future.

I'm 100 percent positive that if you used one for a day that you would also be a convert, it's just a fantastic tablet. If you lived here I would actually buy you one. I even use mine for music creation with FL Studio Groove and a Keith McMillen portable keyboard.  I have to say this because this is a huge misconception, there are plenty of apps, I have just as many apps on my Nokia than on my iPad or Shield, FaceBook, Kindle, Twitter, FL Studio Groove, OneNote, Office, Maps, CNN, BBC, VLC, Angry Birds Rio, Star Wars, Pinterist, FlipBoard, Feedly, EverNote, WikiPedia, SketchBook, Skype, Viber, BBM, Vevo, YouTube, Spotify, Amazon, Ebay, Bunch of recipe apps, Cold Alley, Halo, Modern Combat 4, 5, Asphalt 7, 8, GT Racing, Real Racing, Grand Theft Auto, ZugerZeit, Blick, a lot, lot more, etc. and a ton of web app links. What I mean to say is, I am never left wanting, apps wise, in fact I don't use half of them. People just like bitching about the lack of apps on other platforms, what the heck do you people use that is so damn important or isn't a friggen web app now.

• Reply 46 of 57
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    Funny, your trying to be insulting but those who actually use the Nokia 2520 no better and are actually more worried about making sure that they have another one at the ready in case God forbid something happens to their beloved. Yes, it run Windows RT but who cares, there are more than enough apps to make the device useful, has a full version of Office including Outlook and here is the big thing, unlike Android or iOS, you get a full desktop web browser with Flash, mobile browsers aren't nearly as good and frankly the Nokia <span style="line-height:1.4em;">utterly wipes the floor with them in this regard. Heard of web apps, if you don't use them yet you should, their fantastic, in fact I use them now almost exclusively over their desktop counterparts. Do you like battery life, how about 16 hours when the Nokia is paired with it's keyboard. The display has over 500 Nits of brightness, the Qualcomm 800 is more than capable of pushing the little guy without so much as a hick-up, I've yet to see any lag, that includes streaming a video wirelessly to my TV for the kids from OneDrive, logged into my server via VPN and a terminal compiling, playing Asphalt 7 all the while downloading the next movie from my Google Drive, can't do that on your iPad, nope, just one thing at a time. The Nokia can run whatever you want in the background without pausing it, which I hate, hate, hate. Has LTE, light weight, great construction and build quality, looks good, plays games extremely well like Modern Combat 5 using an Xbox wireless controller, also handles 128GB Mini SD cards. There hasn't been a single person who has ever used mine that didn't also buy one for themselves eventually, including a random stranger at StarBucks who, like you, went off on Windows RT and Nokia, after using mine for a good hour, I went with him to the Swisscom Shop, where he bought one for himself, even heard from him a few weeks later, he sold his Asus Transformer which he swore by as the best thing since making love in a vat of whipped cream,  even talked his father and two friends into getting one. </span>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">So you go right ahead and call my Nokia crap because it doesn't fade me one bit, those who have them, love them. I personally have 2 extra ones and a keyboard still in the box, MS was selling them for 250 at the end. It's one of the best tablets I have ever owned and will continue to use one for the foreseeable future.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">I'm 100 percent positive that if you used one for a day that you would also be a convert, it's just a fantastic tablet. If you lived here I would actually buy you one. I even use mine for music creation with FL Studio Groove and a Keith McMillen portable keyboard.  I have to say this because this is a huge misconception, there are plenty of apps, I have just as many apps on my Nokia than on my iPad or Shield, FaceBook, Kindle, Twitter, FL Studio Groove, OneNote, Office, Maps, CNN, BBC, VLC, Angry Birds Rio, Star Wars, Pinterist, FlipBoard, Feedly, EverNote, WikiPedia, SketchBook, Skype, Viber, BBM, Vevo, YouTube, Spotify, Amazon, Ebay, Bunch of recipe apps, Cold Alley, Halo, Modern Combat 4, 5, Asphalt 7, 8, GT Racing, Real Racing, Grand Theft Auto, ZugerZeit, Blick, a lot, lot more, etc. and a ton of web app links. What I mean to say is, I am never left wanting, apps wise, in fact I don't use half of them. People just like bitching about the lack of apps on other platforms, what the heck do you people use that is so damn important or isn't a friggen web app now.</span>
    WOW, you should consider a career change from whatever it is you do now to become a PR rep for Microsoft, they need someone who can lather all over their platform as well as you can! I already knew you were blindly in love with Windows and that pathetic Nokia tablet, but now I see just how much.

People care that both the Nokia, and the Surface RT / Surface 2 run a DEAD OS, especially based on today's announcements from Microsoft. Also, let's go over some of the points you fired off...
    • Nobody cares about Adobe's Flash anymore, it's a dying, insecure, memory-hogging technology whose death was predicted years ago, and has now past its apex
    • Office is now available for iOS, and it's incredibly slick, having Office on RT is no longer something to oooohhh and ahhhh about
    • The Safari browser on iOS is best-in-class and handily beats IE's rendering engine on Windows RT without issue, and does so with blistering speed by comparison to that tired dog of a CPU called Snapdragon 800
    • VPN technology is on pretty much every platform, including iOS, which has native Cisco IPSec support, and can support other VPN platforms with ease
    • I can generate Hollywood-grade 1080p videos right on my iPad without any frustration, why do you think Windows can even come close to something Apple has done for decades at its core?
    • If you want to give up all your rights to privacy and security by using something as god awful as Google Drive, be my guest, shows you don't value those things
    • I can perform background multitasking on iOS just fine, such as background file transfers and operations without breaking a sweat, or seeing the device stutter in the slightest
    • The screen on your device doesn't even come close to the quality / clarity of an iPad Air 1/2, so don't use that as a selling point
    • If I want to play any sort of games, I either use my Xbox, or my gaming PC, and not some dinky, under-powered tablet
    • You seem to like wasting money by going out and buying strangers these tablets, must mean you have money to burn, shame you don't give those funds to nobler causes such as charities in Africa
    • I own the Surface RT and used a Surface 2, both of which are close relatives of your tablet, and each time I'm forced to, I get sickened by just how badly the products perform
    • You seem incredibly desperate to showcase in vain what Windows RT isn't, a proper Windows platform with longevity

I hope you do realize this IS an APPLE news site / forum, not Windows. Your comments would serve you well at a place like Neowin where all you Microsoft huggers and flag bearers like to congregate. I am a tech which supports both Windows and Apple platforms at work, and my trouble calls for Windows outnumber Apple's by 20-1. My wife has on many occasions given the Surface RT and 2 we have a chance, and about 5 minutes into each attempt at usage, she throws it away in frustration, and she's a life-long Windows user, and cannot stand it and always asks me "Can I borrow you iPad, the Surface really sucks".

Oh, and BTW, while I'm NO fan of Windows 8 and that god awful mess Microsoft has created with Metro UI, I do hold out hope that they'll improve starting with what I've seen in Windows 10. I also do highly recommend the Surface Pro 3 to those individuals looking to get a Windows machine and not Mac, as it's as close to pure Windows you can get, and at least it runs a full blown version of Windows, not the hobbled RT. At least that device can perform the duties of a real laptop and tablet at the same time for those looking for a hybrid device, despite my ethos for having the right tool for the right job, as these hybrid devices are IMO jack-of-all-trades devices, and masters-of-none.
  • Reply 47 of 57
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    That's like your opinion man. I happen to love Google's Material Design. To me, it looks way better than iOS 8 in many ways. All the Google apps I use on all my devices have the same consistent look and feel which is what I want. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean others don't have to like it as well. 
    I've had time to play with and use Android 5.0 with Material Design, and sorry, but it doesn't hold a candle to iOS 7/8, or the new OS X. While you can have your preference, and we can disagree on that, there is nothing that you can say that will change my mind about Google trying to shove their Material Design on apps designed for iOS.

I have the same frustration with Microsoft attempting to Metro-ify their apps on iOS, hence why I've deleted most of them. I'm still evaluating their Office suite, and it looks decent, blending in just enough iOS and original Office design language to make it balanced.

The entire philosophy to iOS is to have everything look and function consistently, extending to not just the built-in apps, but third-party apps as well, hence why Apple has such extensive app design guidelines and recommendations in their developer kits. Google does this very well on their Nexus devices with Android 5 as well, as does Apple in iOS. By introducing multiple interface styles, workflows, and controls onto one device, it only serves to confuse the average consumer, just look at the disaster that is a Samsung device with TouchWiz. Now, you and I may not be confused by the multiple interfaces, as we're both tech savvy, and this is my career, but when you look at this from the consumer's point of view, the LAST thing they should be doing is learning multiple workflows, and have multiple UX's, on the same device!

Google is more than capable of designing their apps to have the same general look-and-feel and functionality of the web-based apps, whilst still integrating into the iOS GUI design model. A good designer could do this, and I've seen it done many times in the past. This is just a blatant case of Google wanting to force Material Design into iOS, either due to laziness of their developers, or perhaps in the hopes of getting people to switch to Android? Regardless however, this is WRONG, it is BAD design, and it has no benefits for the consumers of these products.

Like many here have said, if I'd wanted Material Design, I wouldn't have bought an iPhone, and instead gone with a Nexus device. I bought an iPhone, and I want the interface and consistency and reliability that go with it, not Google's junk!
  • Reply 48 of 57
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    magman1979 wrote: »
    I've had time to play with and use Android 5.0 with Material Design, and sorry, but it doesn't hold a candle to iOS 7/8, or the new OS X. While you can have your preference, and we can disagree on that, there is nothing that you can say that will change my mind about Google trying to shove their Material Design on apps designed for iOS.

I have the same frustration with Microsoft attempting to Metro-ify their apps on iOS, hence why I've deleted most of them. I'm still evaluating their Office suite, and it looks decent, blending in just enough iOS and original Office design language to make it balanced.

The entire philosophy to iOS is to have everything look and function consistently, extending to not just the built-in apps, but third-party apps as well, hence why Apple has such extensive app design guidelines and recommendations in their developer kits. Google does this very well on their Nexus devices with Android 5 as well, as does Apple in iOS. By introducing multiple interface styles, workflows, and controls onto one device, it only serves to confuse the average consumer, just look at the disaster that is a Samsung device with TouchWiz. Now, you and I may not be confused by the multiple interfaces, as we're both tech savvy, and this is my career, but when you look at this from the consumer's point of view, the LAST thing they should be doing is learning multiple workflows, and have multiple UX's, on the same device!

Google is more than capable of designing their apps to have the same general look-and-feel and functionality of the web-based apps, whilst still integrating into the iOS GUI design model. A good designer could do this, and I've seen it done many times in the past. This is just a blatant case of Google wanting to force Material Design into iOS, either due to laziness of their developers, or perhaps in the hopes of getting people to switch to Android? Regardless however, this is WRONG, it is BAD design, and it has no benefits for the consumers of these products.

Like many here have said, if I'd wanted Material Design, I wouldn't have bought an iPhone, and instead gone with a Nexus device. I bought an iPhone, and I want the interface and consistency and reliability that go with it, not Google's junk!

You are on a roll, excellent posts.
  • Reply 49 of 57
    Quote:

it has no benefits for the consumers of these products.

You don't see the benefit of being able to use the same app family on numerous platforms and having a consistent interface?

I can understand that you would not prefer that vs. consistent experience within a platform, but conversely, surely you're not blind to the benefits of being platform agnostic with a consistent interface.

• Reply 50 of 57
    You don't see the benefit of being able to use the same app family on numerous platforms and having a consistent interface?

I can understand that you would not prefer that vs. consistent experience within a platform, but conversely, surely you're not blind to the benefits of being platform agnostic with a consistent interface.
    As I said in my previous post, good designers can craft their apps to reflect their unique app style and design language, whilst still integrating with the design ethos of a target platform.

I read your previous posts and note you're also a user of Lightroom, like myself. You should note, then, that Lightroom, despite having their own flavour and carrying that across to OS X and Windows, the application is adapted to the workflows and general GUI guidelines of the target platform. While this can be as subtle as menu bar options, keyboard shortcuts, or dialog box formatting, the native designs are there.

With these Google iOS apps, there is ZERO integration to iOS, and the apps look entirely out of place, with seemingly no attempt made at integration with the target platform. An example, with the PIN code entry keyboard on the Google Docs window (updated today as well), Google puts in their own design for a number pad, instead of integrating with iOS and using the one provided by the OS. I can go on for a long time with a list of third-party apps, that while all unique, are able to use iOS-provided number keypads, presenting the end user with a unified experience.

While this is a minor example, it shows the lack of UI consistency, and introduces the same jarring interface fragmentation Android has become synonymous for.

I know Google can design apps that reflect their product and ecosystem style, whilst blending in with native iOS design language. They just deliberately choose not to.
  • Reply 51 of 57
    Quote:

As I said in my previous post, good designers can craft their apps to reflect their unique app style and design language, whilst still integrating with the design ethos of a target platform.

I read your previous posts and note you're also a user of Lightroom, like myself. You should note, then, that Lightroom, despite having their own flavour and carrying that across to OS X and Windows, the application is adapted to the workflows and general GUI guidelines of the target platform. While this can be as subtle as menu bar options, keyboard shortcuts, or dialog box formatting, the native designs are there.

With these Google iOS apps, there is ZERO integration to iOS, and the apps look entirely out of place, with seemingly no attempt made at integration with the target platform. An example, with the PIN code entry keyboard on the Google Docs window (updated today as well), Google puts in their own design for a number pad, instead of integrating with iOS and using the one provided by the OS. I can go on for a long time with a list of third-party apps, that while all unique, are able to use iOS-provided number keypads, presenting the end user with a unified experience.

While this is a minor example, it shows the lack of UI consistency, and introduces the same jarring interface fragmentation Android has become synonymous for.

I know Google can design apps that reflect their product and ecosystem style, whilst blending in with native iOS design language. They just deliberately choose not to.

Yeah, I'll give you the details like the keypads. Good example. Should go native in those areas.

• Reply 52 of 57
    Yeah, I'll give you the details like the keypads. Good example. Should go native in those areas.
    And that's where I take issue, in the details. I'm not saying they need to make their apps look like native iOS apps. Just look at some of the photography editing / creation apps on iOS, they have very limited interface inheritance from iOS, because they are very much purpose-built. However, when needed, those common iOS interface threads do appear for the user, giving them that sense of consistency.

I know Steve and Jony was / is a stickler for details, as am I. I could EASILY see them make Chrome blend in with iOS, while still making it uniquely Google, but they don't even do that...

On the flip side, I also know of applications that do not actually require, or currently use, OS GUI UX integration. A prime example is Plex Home Theatre. This app is completely platform independent where the interface and workflow is concerned, but this is the type of application I can see foregoing GUI integration, as it's meant more as a console than a computer application. This also applies to pretty much every game for every device ever made. So there is a purpose behind app theming and not integrating with a platform, but in this case, that does not apply.
  • Reply 53 of 57
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    netrox wrote: »

Thanks for that link. I have yet to figure out why Google publishes this document out in the open. I would presume it's an internal document and if it's also for devs why don't they publish it through a dev program? Perhaps they don't have that(?) Anyway, I don't like the colours. At all. Really fugly.

Regarding ClicktoFlash, I didn't know about what you say regarding false reporting, if indeed the case. Maybe someone else here does. That said, if so, then your worries are assuaged, they will get their revenue as if you did. You are on that page after all so what's the difference other than your own suffering.

Site owners only get paid when people click on an ad; that's when advertisers need to pay up. So seeing them, or blocking them, costs the advertisers nothing, only the site owners for the bandwidth.
  • Reply 54 of 57
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

WOW, you should consider a career change from whatever it is you do now to become a PR rep for Microsoft, they need someone who can lather all over their platform as well as you can! I already knew you were blindly in love with Windows and that pathetic Nokia tablet, but now I see just how much.

People care that both the Nokia, and the Surface RT / Surface 2 run a DEAD OS, especially based on today's announcements from Microsoft. Also, let's go over some of the points you fired off...

• Nobody cares about Adobe's Flash anymore, it's a dying, insecure, memory-hogging technology whose death was predicted years ago, and has now past its apex

• Office is now available for iOS, and it's incredibly slick, having Office on RT is no longer something to oooohhh and ahhhh about

• The Safari browser on iOS is best-in-class and handily beats IE's rendering engine on Windows RT without issue, and does so with blistering speed by comparison to that tired dog of a CPU called Snapdragon 800

• VPN technology is on pretty much every platform, including iOS, which has native Cisco IPSec support, and can support other VPN platforms with ease

• I can generate Hollywood-grade 1080p videos right on my iPad without any frustration, why do you think Windows can even come close to something Apple has done for decades at its core?

• If you want to give up all your rights to privacy and security by using something as god awful as Google Drive, be my guest, shows you don't value those things

• I can perform background multitasking on iOS just fine, such as background file transfers and operations without breaking a sweat, or seeing the device stutter in the slightest

• The screen on your device doesn't even come close to the quality / clarity of an iPad Air 1/2, so don't use that as a selling point

• If I want to play any sort of games, I either use my Xbox, or my gaming PC, and not some dinky, under-powered tablet

• You seem to like wasting money by going out and buying strangers these tablets, must mean you have money to burn, shame you don't give those funds to nobler causes such as charities in Africa

• I own the Surface RT and used a Surface 2, both of which are close relatives of your tablet, and each time I'm forced to, I get sickened by just how badly the products perform

• You seem incredibly desperate to showcase in vain what Windows RT isn't, a proper Windows platform with longevity

I hope you do realize this IS an APPLE news site / forum, not Windows. Your comments would serve you well at a place like Neowin where all you Microsoft huggers and flag bearers like to congregate. I am a tech which supports both Windows and Apple platforms at work, and my trouble calls for Windows outnumber Apple's by 20-1. My wife has on many occasions given the Surface RT and 2 we have a chance, and about 5 minutes into each attempt at usage, she throws it away in frustration, and she's a life-long Windows user, and cannot stand it and always asks me "Can I borrow you iPad, the Surface really sucks".

Oh, and BTW, while I'm NO fan of Windows 8 and that god awful mess Microsoft has created with Metro UI, I do hold out hope that they'll improve starting with what I've seen in Windows 10. I also do highly recommend the Surface Pro 3 to those individuals looking to get a Windows machine and not Mac, as it's as close to pure Windows you can get, and at least it runs a full blown version of Windows, not the hobbled RT. At least that device can perform the duties of a real laptop and tablet at the same time for those looking for a hybrid device, despite my ethos for having the right tool for the right job, as these hybrid devices are IMO jack-of-all-trades devices, and masters-of-none.

You know your the one that came after me for owning a Nokia with Windows RT.  I also own a few iPads and a Surface Pro 3 as well but I still really like using my Nokia as my daily reader, surf pad, messenger, casual gaming, despite your negative comments. My iPads are strictly for music creation as their perfect for that task, I'm not a fan of using them as mobile tablets though, there are a number of things that frustrate me with the platform, it's not worth going into though, their stationary devices for a singular purpose and they do that very well. My daughter is going to Ireland for 6 months so I gave her my Surface Pro 3 to take with. It was more of an excuse to buy a Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 12.5, I wanted something that could run Solaris, Android, OSX and W8, had a touchscreen and Wacom stylus, good battery, the ThinkPad seems to fit that need perfectly. I was able to install OSX, Windows 8, Mint Linux and Android x86 without any drama and couldn't be happier, still need to install Solaris though. By the way I'm not a hardcore Microsoft fan, I just happen to use one of their OS's, prior to W8 though I can't remember the last time I used Windows. I only ever really used two desktop OS's, Unix (Linux) and Mac OS (OSX). Who cares anyway if the Nokia just so happens to be running an OS by MS, it's a good device regardless. Surface RT never bothered me because I use it within the scope of it's design and purpose, I don't try to make it into something it is not. That being said though there really isn't much that I can't do with it, like I said before I use a lot web apps, including programming. I'm not really sure what you trying to achomplish with your tablets but the Nokia, like my iPads and Shield fit a need and they do it very well, I think you should either learn how to properly use your device or sell it and buy something you do like. Telling me that my Nokia is worthless when I used nothing else for almost 5 months when I was in the hospital and was able to write some of the best code I ever did, read all of the eBooks I could, watched all the movies I wanted, listened to all of the music I could bare, play games till my brain was mushed, surfed till I saw spots, used more apps than I knew what to do with, is an exercise in futility. I know how good the device is, I don't buy junk.

In regards to the way I spend my money, well, it's really none of your concern, is it.

• Reply 55 of 57

Nice information but i already knew about it..

• Reply 56 of 57
    You know your the one that came after me for owning a Nokia with Windows RT.  I also own a few iPads and a Surface Pro 3 as well but I still really like using my Nokia as my daily reader, surf pad, messenger, casual gaming, despite your negative comments. My iPads are strictly for music creation as their perfect for that task, I'm not a fan of using them as mobile tablets though, there are a number of things that frustrate me with the platform, it's not worth going into though, their stationary devices for a singular purpose and they do that very well. My daughter is going to Ireland for 6 months so I gave her my Surface Pro 3 to take with. It was more of an excuse to buy a Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 12.5, I wanted something that could run Solaris, Android, OSX and W8, had a touchscreen and Wacom stylus, good battery, the ThinkPad seems to fit that need perfectly. I was able to install OSX, Windows 8, Mint Linux and Android x86 without any drama and couldn't be happier, still need to install Solaris though. By the way I'm not a hardcore Microsoft fan, I just happen to use one of their OS's, prior to W8 though I can't remember the last time I used Windows. I only ever really used two desktop OS's, Unix (Linux) and Mac OS (OSX). <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Who cares anyway if the Nokia just so happens to be running an OS by MS, it's a good device regardless. Surface RT never bothered me because I use it within the scope of it's design and purpose, I don't try to make it into something it is not. That being said though there really isn't much that I can't do with it, like I said before I use a lot web apps, including programming. I'm not really sure what you trying to achomplish with your tablets but the Nokia, like my iPads and Shield fit a need and they do it very well, I think you should either learn how to properly use your device or sell it and buy something you do like. Telling me that my Nokia is worthless when I used nothing else for almost 5 months when I was in the hospital and was able to write some of the best code I ever did, read all of the eBooks I could, watched all the movies I wanted, listened to all of the music I could bare, play games till my brain was mushed, surfed till I saw spots, used more apps than I knew what to do with, is an exercise in futility. I know how good the device is, I don't buy junk.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">In regards to the way I spend my money, well, it's really none of your concern, is it.</span>
    It's obvious to me by this response that you're in a "stuck on stupid" state, as you just regurgitate the same stuff over and over. You also seem to be stuck on web apps being the end all and be all of apps, when in fact they are no where NEAR as good or polished as native applications. You definitely sound more and more like one of those old-school Windows die-hards that doesn't get newer tech. You keep professing that you use your Nokia as the daily driver for tasks that all of which are performed better on an iPad, hands down. And so what if you keep trying to sprinkle in a few other OS's into the mix of what you use, it doesn't change the fact you sound like a die-hard cheerleader for Microsoft and Nokia, on an Apple site no less.

And I have to laugh at you saying the Surface RT never bothered you, because that demonstrates you just don't care about using a crap device, which is what it is. If I spend my money on something, it better perform to my expectations, and deliver on what it's supposed to. The Surface RT has been almost THE worst I've ever used; only Samsung Android tablets fall harder than the Surface RT. You can spout all the flattery for it, your Nokia, and Windows RT you want, I've tried and used them all, and NOTHING you can say will ever convince me of those products being anything but crap. I get 10x more done with my MacBook Pro / iPad combination than I ever could with Windows 8 / RT products. While they may serve your purpose, I would suggest you re-evaluate them, as there are MUCH better products on the market.

BTW, if you're in hospital recovering from an injury or illness, the LAST thing one should do is gorge themselves on ANY tech device, whether a smartphone, laptop, tablet, and instead focus on rehabilitation. Your description, whilst I'm hoping was partially sarcastic, doesn't bode well for your health; disconnect and rediscover the world, it's big, mostly beautiful, and use THAT as encouragement to get better and get out of the hospital.
  • Reply 57 of 57
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Wait, so a product may serve your purpose, but you should force yourself to change your purpose because someone on the internet said you were wrong?

I'd be far more worried about Relic if she took that seriously, than any comment on her rehabilitation.