Microsoft unveils 'HoloLens' holographic computing headset

Comments

• Reply 41 of 101
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member

All I see are a couple of middle aged guys in serious need of a haircut. 

• Reply 42 of 101
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    If it works, this has great potential.
    And what is clear is that it's way ahead what Google is doing.
    I think it could be revolutionary. The fact that it's a self contained computer is huge.
  • Reply 43 of 101
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    So, they are trying to tell me that the future is this thing? Holly crap! Well this divice does explains how ms has being living in a drean for so long!
  • Reply 44 of 101
    rogifan wrote: »
    Ok can anyone see an Apple executive getting up on stage looking this dorky? This makes Google Glass look fashionable. :D

microsoft-execs-goggles.jpg?w=3200

Stephen Sinofsky escaped before things got this awkward on stage.
  • Reply 45 of 101
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Stephen Sinofsky escaped before things got this awkward on stage.

Anyone know who the guy is in the middle? He reminds me of Steve Perry from Journey. :lol:
  • Reply 46 of 101
    More vapor ware from MegaSuck.
  • Reply 47 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

What exactly is the point of this? I just don't get the appeal of AR/VR outside of gaming.

Well, assuming it's reliable and actually can identify parts (using RFID or some other ways of accurately identify objects), it could be a god send for putting together/assembling something. Like an instructional guide while you're working on something. Labeling parts. Highlight them. Showing correct fittings. Showing direction of fits. etc. Just having reference that go with you while you're doing something could have a lot of value.

Of course, it has to be reliable and usable. This demo is just conceptual. Hopefully, it won't end up as useless as Milo or die like the Microsoft Courier Booklet thing. If they would allow demos at Microsoft Store, I'll actually walk in and try it.

• Reply 48 of 101
    Wow, It's remarkable how "Hololens" gets all the press and Windows 10 gets none.
  • Reply 49 of 101

My goodness.  Gone are the jokes centered around Microsoft's lack of vision...only to be replaced by a VERY special brand of vitriol in readers here today.  Using that as a gauge, it would appear that our friends in Redmond hit a massive home run. ;)

Seriously...I would hope that most of us agree that it's good to see such a major player with so much incredible talent finally wake up and prove to the world that it's still capable of some pretty nice work.  The interactive feedback from the demo has been positive to ultra-positive so I doubt that you can write this up as vaporware.  In fact, MS had what most would call a damn fine news day.  It's about time.

Competition is always a great motivator, eh?

Now...let's see if/when they deliver.

• Reply 50 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Dear god....

And now you see why this company is totally lost in current market dynamics.

This gonna make Windows above any other current Operating Systems in the current market.

When the actual product is available, we will see if it does what it claimed to be. But this concept has really really big potential to change the way we use computers!

• Reply 51 of 101
    This could be really great, and really big! And, they are working with NASA, so there is some credibility there. Good going Microsoft!
  • Reply 52 of 101
    The Xbox is a pretty big deal. That ought to be enough reason to pay attention to this.
  • Reply 53 of 101
    justbobf wrote: »
    The Xbox is a pretty big deal. That ought to be enough reason to pay attention to this.

The Xbox is still not a big moneymaker for them.
  • Reply 54 of 101
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kkerst View Post

I had to reply to this because it really touched a nerve. This is not a hologram if you have to put something on your head. It's VR - that's all. A true hologram is what you see in Star Wars. That's not what they showed here. 

Ironically, that is what they showed in the video, but it was a BS pipedream. 

Sorry but not true. What you saw in Star Wars was fantasy and the 'projected' images were not holograms. A hologram is the appearance of a three dimensional image produced by a 2 dimensional interference pattern. I agree that the headset probably doesn't create true holographic images, as the computational overhead would be quite massive but if they are displaying an appropriate, computed interference pattern, then yes, they are producing holographic images. The most accurate interference pattern, recorded in film, is produced using a LASER, which is coherent and monochromatic but can be seen in white light under the right conditions.

• Reply 55 of 101
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Ok can anyone see an Apple executive getting up on stage looking this dorky? This makes Google Glass look fashionable. image

microsoft-execs-goggles.jpg?w=3200

It might look weird as a standalone pair of glasses, but imagine these being build into a helmet ... It certainly is going to save lives, both on the motorway, and the battlefield!

Augmented Reality is the way to go for glasses. Microsoft did nail that one.

• Reply 56 of 101
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kkerst View Post

All I see are a couple of middle aged guys in serious need of a haircut. 

Notice how Microsoft's vibes have changed. Those three middle aged hipsters are a far cry from the Balmer monkey we used to know. Dare I say MS is getting cool again, in a mad way 8-) 

Disclaimer: Coolness does not guarantee Product Excellence. I am aware of that.

• Reply 57 of 101

Okay, I've read Wired's piece on this and two interesting bits of information come out:

[1] The device has a CPU, GPU and an HPU, a 'holographic processing unit'. It also has a 'depth processing camera'. Looking good, if a little hard to believe, for holography.

[2] The device has 'two lenses'. I have no idea what this means but alarm bells are ringing. (The author didn't pursue details.) If the lenses are in fact, translucent/transparent screens onto which separate left-eye/right-eye information is projected, then game over, this is not a holographic display. In holography, a single interference pattern is viewed by each eye which, from slightly different perspectives, create in our brains the illusion of a 3D image. Two separate screens are not needed, the interference pattern is contained on a single surface.

I would be astounded if Microsoft is claiming holographic imaging if they are performing glorified (or unglorified) stereoscopic imaging. If so, they will get hammered (not that the public would care).

http://www.wired.com/2015/01/microsoft-hands-on/

So, what would a real holograph display look like? Well, it would comprise a single surface or screen and until properly illuminated, look like nothing sensible. This is because an interference pattern would be displayed that just looks like weird patterns. Once properly illuminated a 3D image would appear that would look that way with both eyes looking at the same screen. As one moves from side-to-side or up and down, the image, in 3 dimensions, would spin around or tilt. One could look behind an object in the scene for example, if enough information is presented.

Can't say that this headset is not a holographic one but evidence suggests not. :\ 

EDIT: Of course, the two screens could be showing slightly altered interference patterns to allow for parallax of the human eye but the computational overhead would be double that of a single display. However, two screens don't rule out holography in this case as I earlier stated. :wow:

• Reply 58 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mr O View Post

Notice how Microsoft's vibes have changed. Those three middle aged hipsters are a far cry from the Balmer monkey we used to know. Dare I say MS is getting cool again, in a mad way 8-) 

Disclaimer: Coolness does not guarantee Product Excellence. I am aware of that.

...and not one of them has sweaty armpits! (Well, can't tell really but I'm willing to believe - cool!)

• Reply 59 of 101
    imatimat Posts: 209member
    I think it will have, for the time being, a very small niche market. But I like the idea far better than Google Glass. It is a specialized peripheral, for a specialized use. And allows MS to start developing the tech further.

I can definitely see some real world applications for it, SHOULD IT EVER BE RELEASED and as good as the quality shown in the promo video.

Of course there's also the game market, not to be underestimated, that can have some use of it.

I definitely can imagine car mechanics (in touch with specialized service centers for complicated reparations) construction, manufacturing and other sectors to benefit from this. As much of a critic to MS as I am, I must admit this idea is somewhat original and an interesting take on a device. Albeit in a specialized way. Still better than just flat out copying...
  • Reply 60 of 101

Where is the promo video?

Thanks.