Apple's Logic Pro X gets massive update with new effects, tools, AirDrop support and more

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    Just to add a voice to the chorus: Another tech piece that's to be baked into TB3 is DisplayPort 1.3, the silicon for which is also expected no earlier than late 2015. There's no external 5k display support without DisplayPort 1.3, so it's rather unlikely that Apple would bring a 5k external display to market before December of this year. My guess: New Mac Pro and new 5k external display may appear around December '15 or Jan '16.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

So the new Mac Pros are finally coming?

I just bought one myself, you don't have to wait for a faster version, you can do it yourself, I bought the base version of the Mac Pro with the entry level CPU, I than bought the 64GB of memory and XEON 14 CORE CPU separately from Amazon, saved almost 2 grand by doing it this way and even have good ECC Kingston RAMS. Just a note, taking the Mac Pro apart to replace the CPU is a bitch in the half, worth saving 2 grand though. I took that money and bought an external ThunderPort Case with a Tesla K40. Dual GPU's is kind of a waste in my opinion due to the lack of Crossfire in OSX, by adding the Tesla my render times have decreased almost to that of two Crossfired D700's under Windows, we're talking a minute or two difference. Now, here is a big tip, you don't need to actually buy a Tesla K40, though mine is real, buy a Nvidia Titan and flash it into Tesla card, soft and hard flash options are available, speed is almost identical except for ECC memory, cool huh. Even cheaper yet, you can do the same thing with a GTX780, though the Titan is faster.

• Reply 23 of 29
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    relic wrote: »
    I just bought one myself, you don't have to wait for a faster version, you can do it yourself, I bought the base version of the Mac Pro with the entry level CPU, I than bought the 64GB of <span style="line-height:1.4em;">memory and XEON 14 CORE CPU separately from Amazon, saved almost 2 grand by doing it this way and even have good ECC Kingston RAMS. Just a note, taking the Mac Pro apart to replace the CPU is a bitch in the half, worth saving 2 grand though. I took that money and bought an external ThunderPort Case with a Tesla K40. Dual GPU's is kind of a waste in my opinion due to the lack of Crossfire in OSX, by adding the Tesla my render times have decreased almost to that of two Crossfired D700's under Windows, we're talking a minute or two difference. Now, here is a big tip, you don't need to actually buy a Tesla K40, though mine is real, buy a Nvidia Titan and flash it into Tesla card, soft and hard flash options are available, speed is almost identical except for ECC memory, cool huh. Even cheaper yet, you can do the same thing with a GTX780, though the Titan is faster.</span>

Can you post or IM me bench marks please?

Having a 6 core since 2013 I won't be doing this for a while yet, but one day I might ... it is nice to know I can. That was one of the main reasons i stayed Mac Pro and didn't go the iMac route so many of my friends in editing did. Here is a how to video for anyone wanting to do this or even see how ... looks like a fun job for a rainy day.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_pro/mac-pro-cylinder-faq/how-to-upgrade-mac-pro-cylinder-cpu-processor.html

It's a shame the thread was derailed ... not too much about Logic X here.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Where'd you hear the $100 million number?

Tim Cook:

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-12-06/tim-cooks-freshman-year-the-apple-ceo-speaks#p9

"we wanted to do something more substantial. So we’ll literally invest over $100 million. This doesn’t mean that Apple will do it ourselves, but we’ll be working with people, and we’ll be investing our money."

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/05/22/cook-us-mac-texas/

"We’re investing $100 million to build a Mac product line here in the U.S.
    The product will be assembled in Texas, include components made in Illinois and Florida, and rely on equipment produced in Kentucky and Michigan."
    sflocal wrote:
    Have the new Intel chips come out yet?

The Haswell EP ones have. Here's a dual 18-core Haswell EP:

[VIDEO]

~3800 in Cinebench R15 compared to the ~1500 in the 12-core Mac Pro and ~600-800 for a quad-i7 that would be in the iMac or MBP. Those processors are about $6k each. Like I say, this is just Haswell, beyond which there's Broadwell and Skylake. Skylake could scale from 12-core to 24-core at <$3k price points per chip. Not quite as fast as dual 18-core but anywhere near 3000 score is good value.
    mikesmoke wrote:
    Uh...new MacPro....5K display.....Logic Pro X is making a lot of music for me on a mid 2009 C2D 2.8 MacBook Pro!!!

The Mac Pro is very quiet so fan noise won't be interfering with sound but performance-wise it's probably overkill. Plus it has plenty of TB ports for add-on peripherals.
    not too much about Logic X here.

The list of new features is here:

https://www.apple.com/logic-pro/whats-new/

Lots of hip-hop features, wonder what inspired that.

The Compressor plug-in update says it lets you see the "results of your knob movements like never before". That's gotta be worth something but I suspect the ?Watch will have that feature too.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    Marvin wrote: »
    Tim Cook:

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-12-06/tim-cooks-freshman-year-the-apple-ceo-speaks#p9

"we wanted to do something more substantial. So we’ll literally invest over $100 million. This doesn’t mean that Apple will do it ourselves, but we’ll be working with people, and we’ll be investing our money."

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/05/22/cook-us-mac-texas/

"We’re investing $100 million to build a Mac product line here in the U.S.
    The product will be assembled in Texas, include components made in Illinois and Florida, and rely on equipment produced in Kentucky and Michigan."
    The Haswell EP ones have. Here's a dual 18-core Haswell EP:

[VIDEO]

~3800 in Cinebench R15 compared to the ~1500 in the 12-core Mac Pro and ~600-800 for a quad-i7 that would be in the iMac or MBP. Those processors are about $6k each. Like I say, this is just Haswell, beyond which there's Broadwell and Skylake. Skylake could scale from 12-core to 24-core at <$3k price points per chip. Not quite as fast as dual 18-core but anywhere near 3000 score is good value.
    The Mac Pro is very quiet so fan noise won't be interfering with sound but performance-wise it's probably overkill. Plus it has plenty of TB ports for add-on peripherals.

The Compressor plug-in update says it lets you see the "results of your knob movements like never before". That's gotta be worth something but I suspect the ?Watch will have that feature too.

Also a lot of "EDM" features. Who the hell knew that kids were calling synthesized disco music "EDM" (Electronic Dance Music)?

Personally, I wish they'd sell as in-app purchases more of the Drummer type features with expanded drum sets, not just styles of drumming with the same limited number of drums, plus percussion accompaniment. Loops are inadequate replacements for decent percussionists.

Another Drummer feature should be the ability to "follow" different instrumental tracks (not just be permanently tied to one track only, such as the bass) to emphasize different things at different points in a song or soundtrack. Mirroring a vocal or guitar accent or riff, then jumping back to following the bass would be a fantastic production enhancer.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I just bought one myself, you don't have to wait for a faster version, you can do it yourself, I bought the base version of the Mac Pro with the entry level CPU, I than bought the 64GB of memory and XEON 14 CORE CPU separately from Amazon, saved almost 2 grand by doing it this way and even have good ECC Kingston RAMS. Just a note, taking the Mac Pro apart to replace the CPU is a bitch in the half, worth saving 2 grand though. I took that money and bought an external ThunderPort Case with a Tesla K40. Dual GPU's is kind of a waste in my opinion due to the lack of Crossfire in OSX, by adding the Tesla my render times have decreased almost to that of two Crossfired D700's under Windows, we're talking a minute or two difference. Now, here is a big tip, you don't need to actually buy a Tesla K40, though mine is real, buy a Nvidia Titan and flash it into Tesla card, soft and hard flash options are available, speed is almost identical except for ECC memory, cool huh. Even cheaper yet, you can do the same thing with a GTX780, though the Titan is faster.

I am actually interested in buying one to replace my wonderful 2011 iMac, especially to benefit from the CHF-EUR exchange rate right now - a nMP in France is more than CHF 1000 cheaper. However, I am pretty sure that some update will show up as soon as I buy it...and 4K is far from great right now on the nMP.

• Reply 27 of 29
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Marvin wrote: »

Thanks.

What Apple has not added which it should and soon, is the option to offload much of the larger support files to an external drive as part if the install process. Yes it is easy to offload manually after the fact but it all has to d/l to the Library first. I just squeaked in with <10 GIGs left of my new Mac Pro's SSD, Techtools Pro going nuts with alarms all the while about remaining disk space. I immediately regained 40+ GB by relocating two folders to my external TB RAID but I shouldn't have had to! Not to mention getting that near to being full is very dangerous for a boot drive.

Yes I am writing to Apple but I really shouldn't have to, this should be a no brainer!

For those in a similar position with new Mac Pros, move EXS Factory Samples and Ultrabeat Samples to your external. I aliased but I think Logic pro X looks anyway if they are moved. They are in Library/Applications Support/ Logic initially. These two folders alone are +40 GBs.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I don't call this "massive". It's incremental. If they finished ALL the GUI updates, that would be massive, but still late (version X should've had all GUIs updated).

Where's the redmatica and camel audio stuff?
  • Reply 29 of 29
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

I don't call this "massive". It's incremental. If they finished ALL the GUI updates, that would be massive, but still late (version X should've had all GUIs updated).

Where's the redmatica and camel audio stuff?

Well, the Redmatica AutoSampler has been baked into MainStage. Yeah, the mind boggles. MainStage gets AutoSampler (albeit a slightly sliced-down version, not as complex as the stand-alone app Redmatica produced) - and... Logic Pro X doesn't.

Ok, so there's rumours flying around that Alchemy+AutoSampler = Logic Pro X aceness, but so what? What's that pie-in-the-sky feature there when we seriously need AutoSampler for Logic Pro X.

Not gonna buy MainStage to get to try it out! I loved my standalone Redmatica AutoSampler, and I can't believe we still don't have  KeyMapPro + EXS Librarian + AutoSampler all baked into Logic Pro X. I seriously hope they're coming in at Logic Pro X 10.2 - with EXS24MKIII and some crazy Alchemy thing. but not holding my breath..

Personally, I wish they'd allow for saving the keyboard shortcuts onto the iCloud!!!