Apple agrees to subject products to Chinese government security audits - report

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    wood1208 wrote: »
    You know Chinese government was looking for excuse provided by Mr. Edward Snowden for making American companies life measurable and difficult to sell products in China. This is one example.

Snowden: "Look! The NSA is spying!"
    Chinese Government: "we must protect the Chinese people from the NSA!"
    Privacy Advocates: "...said the pot to the kettle"
    Chinese Government: "but but but Edward Snowden
    said the NSA is spying!"
  • Reply 22 of 31
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

A lot of the code security-critical code is open source to begin with. Remember goto fail?

The difference in the US and NATO countries is that the government does not inspect the product/code themselves, but comes out with standards (FIPS 140, Common Criteria, etc.) and companies hire an accredited private company to do the inspection.

Not sure why everyone is getting their panties in a twist. China has every right to test Apple products. This story didn't say anything about Apple source code. As a developer, I have access to some Apple source code and Chinese developers have the same access (except for encryption algorithms that aren't allowed outside the US). As for the US government not inspecting products themselves, that's not really true. Many government organizations perform all sorts of testing, validating system operations before allowing them to be used on government networks. Even the government standards bodies, especially NIST, perform a lot of the inspection themselves while they do use approved laboratories worldwide for FIPS testing. Common Criteria is an antiquated box checking certification that is more for manufacturers so they can get their products on the government purchasing contract and less about any kind of computer security. Of course NSA does a lot of its own "inspection" without any outside testing.

• Reply 23 of 31
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Snowden: "Look! The NSA is spying!"

Chinese Government: "we must protect the Chinese people from the NSA!"

Privacy Advocates: "...said the pot to the kettle"

Chinese Government: "but but but Edward Snowden

said the NSA is spying!"

Of course NSA spies, that's their job as defined by US law. Of course, they aren't supposed to be doing so much spying on law-abiding US citizens but they are our spy organization, just like every other country has theirs. No foreign leader can honestly say they were surprised when Snowden opened his big mouth because they are doing the same thing we're doing and have been doing since the dawn of time.

• Reply 24 of 31
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I have no idea how an 'inspection' will happen but I cannot imagine Apple will just open the source code to be copied / tampered with. On the face of it this seems like a reasonable request that I would assume every government would insist upon. 

Given the Snowden revelations, yes, I'd expect some such inspection process. though as others mentioned the deal breaker would be simply giving them the entire coding set.

• Reply 25 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Given the Snowden revelations, yes, I'd expect some such inspection process. though as others mentioned the deal breaker would be simply giving them the entire coding set.

It would be nice for a "Snowden" to do the same level of information dump in China, Russia and Iran, but of course we all know those people would be immediately executed.

• Reply 26 of 31

With Snowden claiming Apple devices have NSA back doors...

https://bgr.com/2015/01/20/iphone-spyware-edward-snowden/

...allowing the Chinese to examine them and proclaim otherwise provides a credible rebuttal.

• Reply 27 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It would be nice for a "Snowden" to do the same level of information dump in China, Russia and Iran, but of course we all know those people would be immediately executed.

One can only wish those three would be foolish enough to outsource their electronic security to an independent company that was so weak in it's employee monitoring.... as we did/do.

• Reply 28 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bsimpsen View Post

With Snowden claiming Apple devices have NSA back doors...

https://bgr.com/2015/01/20/iphone-spyware-edward-snowden/

...allowing the Chinese to examine them and proclaim otherwise provides a credible rebuttal.

Quite true: you can't necessarily believe some one's friends saying nice things, but their opponents? Won't say nice things unless necessary.

• Reply 29 of 31
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Way to cave, Cook, way to cave. Not happy about this. What's to stop the US government from demanding access now?

Uhh… The US "government" will demand access; or else they won't allow Apple products into America? Kinda seems a little late for that to me, but what do I know?

• Reply 30 of 31
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

I'm sure all the information gathered in these so called inspections will be passed along to Huawei and Xiaomi. 

Do they have Android source code already? 

• Reply 31 of 31
    moreckmoreck Posts: 187member
    Tim Cook is a better PR rep than Cotton ever was, and it's not even his designated position.