Adobe acknowledges critical remote vulnerability in Flash, exploits already in the wild

Comments

• Reply 41 of 94
    reckreck Posts: 1member
    I don't usually let Adobe update anything without notice, so I went to the website, went to Downloads, went to Update, downloaded the software, but when I went to install it I got an error message saying the version I already had was newer than what I just downloaded. Checked the versions and I was already updated.

What kind of company knows it's got a serious security problem and lets you download the affected version?

Very interesting to know some here are fine without Flash. Reminds me when I was able to turn the corner and operate in a Microsoft-free computing environment, sometime in the late '90s.
  • Reply 42 of 94

I blame Google because of Youtube. Youtube is the only thing I use which uses Flash

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Retrogusto View Post

The best line is towards the end: "I'm rooting for Adobe and its allies like Nokia and Palm (and hopefully Blackberry) to win this game."

Truly amazing foresight :) He should get into investing. I might just put a short on everything this man "roots" for :)

• Reply 43 of 94
    Hmm, I had assumed I was safe with a Mac and the Click to Flash addon. Glad I stopped by and read this. Uninstalled.
  • Reply 44 of 94
    I'm updating it now... when the pop-up screen appears that says "Transfer Checking & Savings Accounts Now?", do I click on "Yes" or "OK"?
  • Reply 45 of 94
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    I blame Google because of Youtube. Youtube is the only thing I use which uses Flash

YouTube is the one Flash-heavy sight that you can use without Flash or having to trick the site into thinking you're on an iPad.
  • Reply 46 of 94
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Speaking of doing just fine without Flash, here's where to get an uninstaller for Mac OS X.

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-mac-os.html

(Note the page still hasn't been updated to mention Yosemite, but it works anyway.)

Edit: You're welcome!

• Reply 47 of 94
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

It's great that Adobe is patching these Flash issues so quickly but I know plenty of people that simply ignore them because it's a pain in the ass to have to update Flash so often. Unfortunately it can't happen in the background, like with Dropbox, and requires the user to kill their browsers to continue, which is where the basic user lives.

Actually, Flash's update process is over-stepping its authority. If Safari is running, but hasn't loaded the Flash plugin, then updating Flash would work properly. But the Updater sees that Safari is running and forces the user to quit before completing the update process. Furthermore, it asks for the admin password, which has always puzzled me since it's locally installed in the current user only, no?

• Reply 48 of 94
    flaneur wrote: »
    Fred Wilson is one of those PC/MicroSoftened types who does not get Apple's design sense, neither hardware nor software. Gruber sums him up here:

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2014/05/05/wilson

solipsismy wrote: »
    That guy! Yeah, he definitely doesn't understand anything Apple does. Those types of people are just annoying because they aren't stupid in the general sense, yet lack some basic ability to see what I consider to be obvious patterns. I'm not sure if it's a self-imposed delusion or simply not wired properly to understand some basic principles that have made Apple success they are.

Sadly, my entire college computing faculty seems to fall into that category. I had someone tell a class the other day that VR was going to be the way we interact with computers within five years. It's like...no.

Worse, they still haven't realized that Microsoft is no longer dominant, so they demand submissions in .docx and that coding work (and not VB, mind you) be done in Visual Studio, because XCode is dirty or something.
  • Reply 49 of 94
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

Furthermore, it asks for the admin password, which has always puzzled me since it's locally installed in the current user only, no?

It is installed in /Library/Internet Plug-Ins

That way there is only one instance accessible for all applications and users.

• Reply 50 of 94
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Yah, i always thought that was wrong... I want the choice of what is installed where.

• Reply 51 of 94
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Flash is still used at some backwards Web sites, I use a flash blocker.

If you want to avoid Flash and you use MacOS X 10.4+, I suggest the YouView App.

I've used it for several months, on my G4 Tiger 10.4 and our Intel Macs on SL 10.6 and Mav 10.9 .

Not only does it show Flash videos without Flash, but it gives a superior display to Flash.

• Reply 52 of 94
    josha wrote: »
    Flash is still used at some backwards Web sites, I use a flash blocker.

If you want to avoid Flash and you use MacOS X 10.4+, I suggest the YouView App.
    I've used it for several months, on my G4 Tiger 10.4 and our Intel Macs on SL 10.6 and Mav 10.9 .
    Not only does it show Flash videos without Flash, but it gives a superior display to Flash.

I think MacTubes gets around Flash for PPC as well.

I used Tubex on my iDevices, it's much better than the official app, especially as you can close the app but the video will keep playing.
  • Reply 53 of 94
    I personally patched all Flash vulnerabilities for almost two full years now... I had it removed in February 2013.

I only had it to watch some of the videos that still required it, and then, it stopped working on Safari, so I just removed it.

Too bad that here in Brazil a lot of news agencies still use Flash on critical content on their websites.
  • Reply 54 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Yah, i always thought that was wrong... I want the choice of what is installed where.

That is where OS X apps are going to be looking for it. I think the best approach is to uninstall it and use Chrome for occasional Flash access for trusted sites like Google finance. 

• Reply 55 of 94
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

It's great that Adobe is patching these Flash issues so quickly but I know plenty of people that simply ignore them because it's a pain in the ass to have to update Flash so often. Unfortunately it can't happen in the background, like with Dropbox, and requires the user to kill their browsers to continue, which is where the basic user lives.

I put the blame on Adobe and "developers" that still push it to their sites. Even Apple used some Flash in MobileMe, but corrected that with their iCloud switch.

A pain in the ass to update? Flash updates automatically. I read this article and checked. Flash had already been updated to this version on my system. I didn’t do anything (except having set the Flash preference panel to automatically update long ago.) 

• Reply 56 of 94
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,107member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

A pain in the ass to update? Flash updates automatically. I read this article and checked. Flash had already been updated to this version on my system. I didn’t do anything (except having set the Flash preference panel to automatically update long ago.) 

What happens when someone figures a way to hack the auto update?

• Reply 57 of 94
    Originally Posted by baconstang View Post

What happens when someone figures a way to hack the auto update?

Didn’t they already do that back around 13 or so? Or were they just spoofing the updater?

• Reply 58 of 94
    lkrupp wrote: »

I turn that function off because new versions of Flash are frequently broken. Its a garbage product.
  • Reply 59 of 94
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,107member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Didn’t they already do that back around 13 or so? Or were they just spoofing the updater?

I can't trust someone whom needs to patch their crappy software twice a month to keep their updater secure.

• Reply 60 of 94
    Quote:

Originally Posted by baconstang View Post

I can't trust someone whom needs to patch their crappy software twice a month to keep their updater secure.

The more the better. Apple has lots of security updates, they just don't make the news on AI.