2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gijoeinla View Post

I vote for two acquisitions.

1). Netflix

2) Sprint or T-mobile

#2 would violate antitrust laws. As for Netflix, why? For the backend?

• Reply 22 of 40
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:

1). Netflix

2) Sprint or T-mobile

Apple's acquisition history does not favor a mobile operator buyout.

First of all, it only benefits a small percentage of Apple's customer base whereas most of Apple's acquisitions have been for unique technology that has potential in benefitting a wide swath of its user base (like P.A. Semi or Anobit). Second, Apple sees mobile operators as dumb pipes. Cellular companies are like the water company, they're utilities.

Netflix is way too pricey for Apple, at nearly a $30 billion market cap. It might have been a good acquisition in 2005, but that ship has long sailed. I don't see any fundamentally superior technology from Netflix that would justify its acquisition today. 

Again, with the sole exception of Beats, Apple does not go after companies with well-established brands. They're too expensive. Apple buys smaller, privately held firms and assimilates the acquired technology and staff into its own operations.

• Reply 23 of 40
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    maccherry wrote: »
    But analyst wanted $67.69001 billion!
    At the end of the day, it still ain't enough for those greedy mofos on Wall Street.
    Ain't never enough!
    God help us all.

They play their own game, which is move stocks up/down/up/down/etc simply to make their profits.
    Well I can wait them out a bit on this one, they'll pay my price for my few AAPL shares.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    Analysts will be bearish on sluggish aftermarket AC adapter sales.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    canukstorm wrote: »
    I think the iPhone 6 Plus is cannibalizing iPad sales in the consumer space but with the rumored 12" iPad, it will move more "up market" into enterprise and niche high-end areas.

Right on.
    I've decided to get just a larger iPhone, instead of a smaller iPhone plus an iPad mini.

As for the larger iPad, it will hit the MacBook sales.
    The iPad sales are more like laptop sales, users don't upgrade every 2 years like the do with phones.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

40, 100, 10 000 analysts, that doesn't change. Presenting and estimation as precise as 67,69 billion is ridiculous, and shows that these people don't know what they are talking about and need to go back to school to study maths.

Even if people don't like it I have my 'Apple is doomed' ready here for later. It's a must.

• Reply 27 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cali View Post

Just for fun:

Do you think Apple should blow the quarter's profits on something?

If so, what?

My vote is to aquire Yelp and Shazam.

Blow them on putting thousands of cars in the streets and offer street view imagery again.

Quote:

1). Netflix

2) Sprint or T-mobile

Why Netflix ? Apple has much more movies to offer for streaming. Impatiently waiting that they offer a music + video unlimited streaming offer.

Hey maybe that's what they are working on.

• Reply 28 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

My feeling is that Box itself is overvalued at $2+ billion. One of Box's competitors might be a suitable acquisition target, but they would need to have fundamentally unique technology to make them interesting to Apple.

That's not bad considering Apple paid $3 billion for Beats.  Equally important Box has a lot of great cloud talent plus they're equally suited to serving the SMB and consumer market.

• Reply 29 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

40, 100, 10 000 analysts, that doesn't change. Presenting and estimation as precise as 67,69 billion is ridiculous, and shows that these people don't know what they are talking about and need to go back to school to study maths.

Even if people don't like it I have my 'Apple is doomed' ready here for later. It's a must.

It's a must that Apple is doomed?

• Reply 30 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

It's a must that Apple is doomed?

No, it's a must that we say it. Last time some people complained that it was an overused meme. I think it never gets old!

• Reply 31 of 40
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Based on the current state of the NASDAQ, if Apple beats estimates I think after market will see a rise by at least 2.5%.

Which should take care of the drop it's having this morning. In other words, no change for the day.

• Reply 32 of 40
    calicali Posts: 3,494member

Free 5k iMacs for shareholders! :lol:

That or jackets. I'd like a nice jacket. The WWDC ones are nice.

Jackets? I'm sure apple made more than 2 million in profit ;)
    mpantone wrote: »

Yelp is massively overvalued with a market capitalization of over $4 billion.

Shazam is privately held, but its valuation is probably around $600-700 million. If Apple wanted to acquire music identification technology, there are cheaper alternatives.

Note that with the exception of Beats, Apple does not pursue companies with a well-established brand. The underlying technology as well as the skills of the employees are far more important.

Apple should continue stock buyback program, that definitely increases shareholder value. 

In terms of corporate acquisitions, my preference would favor small semiconductor design firms, especially those involved in communications chip design.

Good idea and with the massive billions they made in sure they can do both.

The reason I mentioned Yelp is because I would love to see closer integration with Siri and Apple Maps. Make Yelp exclusive and take them away from Giggle.

Shazam again is a perfect fit for Siri and iTunes/Beats. With all the free advertising Shazam gets, it fits perfectly with Apple/Beats.

I heard chip manufacturers make little money and need to manufacture for all companies to stay afloat, if true I'm not sure how good of a purchase that would be for someone like Apple who would not manufacture for others.

The thought of Apple dropping Samsung chip manufacturers is nice though haha!!
  • Reply 33 of 40
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:

Just for fun:

Do you think Apple should blow the quarter's profits on something?

If so, what?

My vote is to aquire Yelp and Shazam.

Reality:  Buy all of Samsung's chip fab facilities.

Fantasy: Buy all of Samsung, shut it down and give the money back to shareholders.  :)

• Reply 34 of 40

What they SHOULD do is to spend $1.5bn on Imagination Technologies - that way they get sole use of the best mobile GPU IP in the world, sole access to new revolutionary Ray Tracing IP, Ensigma (communications IP allowing programmable on-chip radios), Hellosoft IP to improve VVoIP/VoLTE, an extremely innovative family of Cloud IP and, in case they ever fancied going the whole hog & designing their own CPUs again, MIPS.

At less than half what Beats cost it is an absolute bargain.

OK, I am also an Imagination shareholder, but that has NOTHING to do with it :rolleyes:, no really.....

• Reply 35 of 40
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

Sog35 is probably staring at AAPL now to see if he's losing money. So far stock price dropped $2.30/share...Well, if he's long, it shouldn't be an issue. Wait for dividend declaration then.

• Reply 36 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

As for Netflix, why? For the backend?

Apple would be taking it up the backend if it acquired Netflix.

• Reply 37 of 40
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:

I heard chip manufacturers make little money and need to manufacture for all companies to stay afloat, if true I'm not sure how good of a purchase that would be for someone like Apple who would not manufacture for others.

The thought of Apple dropping Samsung chip manufacturers is nice though haha!!

I did not write that Apple should buy chip manufacturers. I wrote that they should buy chip designers (fabless companies).

There's a big difference.

Apple isn't going to buy chip fabs. It's actually a low-margin industry and the capital investment is extremely high.

It also goes against Apple's basic philosophy on where they stand vis-a-vis the supply chain. Apple designs, they don't manufacture. That's one of the keys to Apple's current economic success. Steve and Tim got Apple out of the manufacturing business.

• Reply 38 of 40

By the way, where's the link to the page for AI's live coverage of the earnings call?

Here's the link on the Apple site:  http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/15iuhbsdfvuohibwfvohub01/event/

The livestream starts at 2PM PST.

• Reply 39 of 40

Wow...

• Revenue: $74.6 billion versus $67.5 billion expected.

Stock up almost 5% after hours.

• Reply 40 of 40
    bdkennedy1 wrote: »
    Backpacks for all employees!

I think a three line whip would be more in order, there being no replacement for Steve Jobs.