Universal Pictures announces cast of upcoming Steve Jobs movie, start to principal filming

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2015
In a prepared statement issued on Tuesday, Universal Studios announced the full cast list for its upcoming Steve Jobs biopic, currently titled "Steve Jobs," including actresses set to play Jobs' daughter Lisa at three different ages.

Source: CNET

According to the release, obtained by SlashFilm, Universal's forthcoming film has started principal shooting in San Francisco under the direction of Academy Award-winning director Danny Boyle.

Penned by Aaron Sorkin, another Oscar winner, the movie is set to take place backstage at three product launches, ending with the iMac's debut in 1998. The screenplay was adapted for the screen from Walter Isaacson's Steve Jobs biography.

As previously reported, Michael Fassbender (X-Men: Days of Future Past, 12 Years a Slave) will play the title role, while Seth Rogen (The Interview, Pineapple Express) is to take on company cofounder Steve Wozniak. Other notables include Jeff Daniels (Dumb and Dumber, HBO's The Newsroom) as former Apple CEO John Sculley, Kate Winslet (Titanic, The Reader) as former Mac marketing lead Joanna Hoffman, Katherine Waterston (Inherent Vice) as Jobs' former girlfriend Chrisann Brennan and Michael Stuhlbarg (HBO's Boardwalk Empire) as famed Mac programmer Andy Hertzfeld.

Offering some perspective on the story's timeline, three actresses are slate to play Jobs' daughter Lisa Brennan-Jobs, including Perla Haney-Jardine (Future Weather), Ripley Sobo (Winter's Tale) and Makenzie Moss. Finally, Sarah Snook is set to play PR guru Andrea Cunningham, while Adam Shapiro (A Single Man) will play former Apple SVP of Software Engineering Avie Tevanian, who is credited with spearheading development of Mac OS X.

After years in production and swapping hands from Sony to Universal, the Jobs film finally got underway this month at the late Apple cofounders childhood home in Los Altos, Calif.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

Who's playing Bill Gates?

• Reply 2 of 18
    those three plastic bins stacked up on the left would not have existed in the 1990's , never mind the 1970's.

The look like they came straight from Walmart.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member

Yeah, and the two-toned ladder is highly suspicious. Back in the Seventies, you had a choice of wood or silver-colored aluminum for ladders. There were no two-toned ladders, and there weren't any fiberglass ones either. And there were probably no safety warning stickers either.

The more egregious offender is the backpack/suitcase with the telescoping handle and integrated wheels. Heck, it even looks like there's a water bottle pocket, something that didn't even exist in the Nineties.

The set designer is probably 35, not 65. Oh well.

• Reply 4 of 18
    do you realize that the box's and the ladder may be left by the crew who are still working, that photo wasn't a promo shot
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Hopefully the movie isn't troubled anymore.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Let's hope for a more factually accurate biopic of Steve than the earlier "Jobs" movie! ????
  • Reply 7 of 18
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    dmarcoot wrote: »
    those three plastic bins stacked up on the left would not have existed in the 1990's , never mind the 1970's.

mpantone wrote: »
    Yeah, and the two-toned ladder is highly suspicious. Back in the Seventies, you had a choice of wood or silver-colored aluminum for ladders. There were no two-toned ladders, and there weren't any fiberglass ones either. And there were probably no safety warning stickers either.

The more egregious offender is the backpack/suitcase with the telescoping handle and integrated wheels. Heck, it even looks like there's a water bottle pocket, something that didn't even exist in the Nineties.

The set designer is probably 35, not 65. Oh well.

I noticed the same things, but I think [@]Sector7G[/@] is probably right.

Regardless, if the biggest issues you find with this movie are some anachronistic items on the set then they did a good job. At this point I expect this film to be a disaster.
  • Reply 8 of 18

I used to care.

• Reply 9 of 18
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Who's playing Bill Gates?

I'm hoping for John Hodgman

• Reply 10 of 18
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

I noticed the same things, but I think @Sector7G is probably right.

Regardless, if the biggest issues you find with this movie are some anachronistic items on the set then they did a good job. At this point I expect this film to be a disaster.

Awww, can't we have some fun around here. ;)

• Reply 11 of 18
    According to http://www.gemfeed.com/#!/profile/steve-jobs Steve was a Chinatown fan. Maybe Jack Nicholson should be in the cast?
  • Reply 12 of 18
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dmarcoot View Post

You do realize that is not a final set photo, don't you?  Plastic did exist in the 90s and in the 70s.  It is not a real set photo because rolling luggage did not exist in the 70s.

• Reply 13 of 18
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RapunzelCorona View Post

Let's hope for a more factually accurate biopic of Steve than the earlier "Jobs" movie! ????

Then you would have a pretty boring movie.  Dramatic effect always has to be added to make the movie enjoyable to watch.  How was the prior movie not accurate?  Care to give some details on what you think was not accurate?

• Reply 15 of 18
    ^^^ Dat bow tie.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    ^^^ Dat bow tie.

It must be this one:

1000 1000

It doesn't look as good on Fassbender. The jacket matches in the black and white photo. This will be the Mac launch event. Woz didn't have curly hair:

I have a feeling Rogen is going to come across much like he does in every movie he's in - like Seth Rogen.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    Marvin wrote: »
    I have a feeling Rogen is going to come across much like he does in every movie he's in - like Seth Rogen.

I like Seth Rogen, but a great actor he's not. This is a casting that I wouldn't even buy for a made-for-TV movie-of-the-week, so for a cinematic release of still living and/or well known figures I feel you need to be a great actor to pull it off when you neither look like nor have the mannerisms of the person you're suppose to be acting like. I simply don't think Rogen has anything that comes close to that range.

As for Fassbender, I think he has a certain range that often falls within brilliant and arrogant actors but, again, we're talking about someone well known, and even though not living, I think Jobs' persona is still fresh with a lot of people that would never visit a tech blog. Based on the pics alone (which isn't a good measure so I will have to wait for a trailer) he seems to have more of a Magneto feel than a Jobs feel to how he's carrying himself.

edit: Nope!

• Reply 18 of 18
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Marvin wrote: »

I like Seth Rogen, but a great actor he's not. This is a casting that I wouldn't even buy for a made-for-TV movie-of-the-week, so for a cinematic release of still living and/or well known figures I feel you need to be a great actor to pull it off when you neither look like nor have the mannerisms of the person you're suppose to be acting like. I simply don't think Rogen has anything that comes close to that range.

As for Fassbender, I think he has a certain range that often falls within brilliant and arrogant actors but, again, we're talking about someone well known, and even though not living, I think Jobs' persona is still fresh with a lot of people that would never visit a tech blog. Based on the pics alone (which isn't a good measure so I will have to wait for a trailer) he seems to have more of a Magneto feel than a Jobs feel to how he's carrying himself.

edit: Nope!

I share your misgivings.

What makes a man is his physique, his build, the way he moves, the way he presents himself, the aura he gives off. Even just looking at the photos of Fassbender in a bow-tie compared to Jobs in one, Fassbender looks much weaker. I accept that the moving image may be very different, but that photo of Jobs somehow conveys a man with great self-confidence, charisma and power, but not so much arrogance; a man relaxed in his skin. I don't get that with Fassbender.