Apple's stylus receiver concept would improve the precision of digital pen-based input

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    If a stylus was appropriate for certain tasks why wasn't one available from the beginning?

As I mentioned earlier, Apple was selling a third party stylus from the very beginning, both in their stores, and on their web site.

But things evolve. I'm not so sure Jobs expected 3D CAD apps, or pro level drawing apps, or even really sophisticated art paint apps and others for which a stylus is a major upgrade in usability. But they've been here for a while, and numerous stylus types have come out, some more successful than others. It's very likely that Apple has seen them and believes, more than before, that they should standardize it.

Look, Apple has been promoting games on iOS since the first iPhone came out. But they've always pushed the on screen controls, accelerometer and other sensors to use the game with. But no doubt, they read forums, gaming sites, and other sources that show that people really want controllers. They've watched third parties try to come up with standards, and they've seen that fail. So they introduced their own APIs for that, and now we're getting better controllers that more games are supporting. I've got two. I first bought the small Steelseries mobile controller, and recently, the Mad Catz C.T.R.L 1. Both work well. The Mad Catz is great.

So Apple comes around after a time. It can take them years to see a market. But when they do, they're usually smart enough to take advantage of it to our benefit.
  • Reply 42 of 55
    solipsismy wrote: »
    ?Watch can detect pressure sensitivity via the display. But we don't yet know how it works, and I have to think it's probably not scalable to the same kind precision as a stylus on a large display.

Possibly it has a resistive layer. I've seen interesting reports on how the screen itself can be made to detect pressure without a separate layer for it. It seems that the polarizing of LCD screens can be made to put out a voltage if the polarized layer, which is, after all, what an LCD screen is, is physically distorted. The fields interact at the point of disruption. If a way is made to detect that voltage produced, somewhat like that of a peazo electric sensor, then the touch would be transmitted. The more the bend, the greater the output.

Pretty sophisticated stuff. I sint know how that would work through a glass cover, which is meant to not bend too much at the point of pressure. But somehow, the Note does it.

I don't know how Apple is doing it though. It would be nice to know if it just affects the entire screen, or just a tiny portion.
  • Reply 43 of 55
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    paxman wrote: »
    I don't really understand that point of view in spite of what Steve jobs said when he was originally selling the idea. Now that we are all familiar with touch input (i.e. no need for a hard sell), why, prey tell, SHOULD a stylus never be the main input device? I prefer to use a keyboard and would love the ability to use a mouse as well. I accept touch input but it will never be my preference even if at times it is very convenient. It just isn't accurate enough, and there are number of tasks where it is just awkward. (text editing, spreadsheets, video editing, drawing etc.) Fingers are fat. I mean, if Apple brings out a good stylus and 10% of iPad users decide to use that stylus as the main input device are they somehow wrong?

It depends on the application. How would you do a three finger swipe with a stylus or pinch and zoom as easily? Multi-touch is awesome for many things especially the Finder (or whatever it's called in iOS) but I agree doing something detailed and requiring precision a stylus would be better. I'd say using both approaches is a good idea.
  • Reply 44 of 55
    magic_al wrote: »
    If iOS starts supporting a stylus officially, Apple should bring back its Newton handwriting recognition technology as an alternative to covering a large portion of the screen with a keyboard. As the few people who were still using Newton in 1998 will never stop telling anyone who'll listen, it was finally working really well just before Jobs killed it.

They've had a newer handwriting technology as part of OS X for some time. But I don't remember them doing anything with it. I don't remember what they called it. I'm not even sure if it's still in there.
  • Reply 45 of 55
    pazuzu wrote: »
    Actually, Apple got the mouse right in 1984 with the release of the Mac.

Really- was it left click/ right click then as it's now?

It was the best mouse solution commercially available ... hard to be better than the best. It sold millions!

Certainly, tech has progressed since 1984, but that doesn't make it any less right for the needs and tech of the time.
  • Reply 46 of 55
    melgross wrote: »
    I don't actually care if Apple brings out a stylus or not but I'd love to see a technology included in the iPad design that would allow for 3rd parties to create styluses that will work as intended across all apps. I have no interest in promoting the use of any particular input device but I'd like for the option to be there should I so choose. As I have stated before I would love to plonk my iPad in some kind of a stand on my desk and be able to use a wireless keyboard and mouse to operate it. It would make my iPad infinitely more useable and efficient for certain kinds of jobs. 

But yes, I understand that Apple will not include features that will cost a lot to implement and which few users will ever use.

We can use a wireless keyboard. I don't know if it's impossible to implement a mouse, or just whether no one has bothered.

I've always wondered why Apple didn't implement an optional cursor mode for the iPad. The way it could work is something like this:
    • the user selects cursor mode from a tool bar or with a special gesture
    • the cursor starts in the center of the screen
    • the user places a finger on the screen offset from the cursor as desired
    • as the finger is moved, the cursor moves in sync
    • tap your finger to select whatever is under the cursor
    • lift and move, then replace your finger * to establish a new offset to the cursor

* similar to lifting the mouse to gain more working space in a small mousing area

The cursor [finger] activity could be combined with an additional finger (or fingers) on either hand, for left/right click, drag/drop, draw, Bezier draw ...

They could even incorporate a loupe, pinch/zoom, pan and other gestures.

With proper design, I think this could be a very natural integration of mouse function and touch function.

Since the original iPhone, iDevices have always been able to recognize 11 multitouch inputs ... I always wondered why. Possible it was provision for a future pen/stylus -- when acceptable tech became available.
  • Reply 47 of 55
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

We can use a wireless keyboard. I don't know if it's impossible to implement a mouse, or just whether no one has bothered.

I have a virtual keyboard for my iPad that has all the keys of Apple's keyboard. I've been trying it out. But the keys are a bit smaller, and are much closer together, so I make too many errors. And for some reason, it can't do corrections using shortcuts, it apparently even doesn't use the corrections Apple uses for spelling or proper names, so every error is an error. For example, if I type I, we know that it will be capitalized. But with this keyboard, if you don't press the apostrophe key, it doesn't happen. So, for now at least, I've stopped using it. I make enough typing errors as it is.

Ohh, just now saw a bad spelling error. Also fixed a sentence.

I think there must be technical reasons beyond my understanding that prevent a 'mouse layer' to be laid on top of whatever is going on on the iPad. But what you say about the keyboard sucks. I use the Apple keyboard with my iPad but have considered buying a 'keyboard case' instead. But then I think, who am I kidding - a MBA is what I need. I am looking forward to the new alleged unveiling :-)

• Reply 48 of 55
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I've always wondered why Apple didn't implement an optional cursor mode for the iPad. The way it could work is something like this:

• lift and move, then replace your finger * to establish a new offset to the cursor

•  

* similar to lifting the mouse to gain more working space in a small mousing area

The cursor [finger] activity could be combined with an additional finger (or fingers) on either hand, for left/right click, drag/drop, draw, Bezier draw ...

With proper design, I think this could be a very natural integration of mouse function and touch function.

Since the original iPhone, iDevices have always been able to recognize 11 multitouch inputs ... I always wondered why. Possible it was provision for a future pen/stylus -- when acceptable tech became available.

I was imagining a separate app, or mode, that would be activated upon synching a wireless mouse. The 'app' would simply be a transparent layer that communicates with the active app by translating clicks into taps. Like I alluded to in the post to melgross, I am somewhat technically challenged compared to most people here so I don't understand the implications of what I am saying but I do know it would be awesome and would allow the iPad to be more things to more people. 

• Reply 49 of 55

There are a couple of styluses that do that, with an offset to the tip, so I quess it could be done. Since the new Prokeyboard for iOS is available, any key can be done. They do have cursor keys on that keyboard. If you sweep back and forth on the space bar, the cursors mover back and forth as well. If the danger thing only worked with Apple's correction and shortcuts, it would be great. I'd get used to the tight spacing, but it doesn't, at least, not yet.
  • Reply 50 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Yes, they do.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6893/samsung-galaxy-note-80-review/4

That's not a Cintiq.

• Reply 51 of 55
    I think there must be technical reasons beyond my understanding that prevent a 'mouse layer' to be laid on top of whatever is going on on the iPad. But what you say about the keyboard sucks. I use the Apple keyboard with my iPad but have considered buying a 'keyboard case' instead. But then I think, who am I kidding - a MBA is what I need. I am looking forward to the new alleged unveiling :-)

Hmm. Now that I've read your response, and seen my post in it, I'm trying to figure out why I wrote apostrophe key instead of shift key. That's something we need, a "Hey stupid" function when something like that happens.
  • Reply 52 of 55
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

That's not a Cintiq.

Apologies, I assumed you were asking about the Galaxy Note.
  • Reply 53 of 55
    melgross wrote: »

Hmm. Now that I've read your response, and seen my post in it, I'm trying to figure out why I wrote apostrophe key instead of shift key. That's something we need, a "Hey stupid" function when something like that happens.

Hey, don't sweat it.

We all have our senior moments. ????
  • Reply 54 of 55
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member

That's not a Cintiq.

What's wrong with posting the Galaxy Note? It does have a touchscreen and a Wacom digitizer on the same display.
  • Reply 55 of 55
    N
    solipsismy wrote: »
    What's wrong with posting the Galaxy Note? It does have a touchscreen and a Wacom digitizer on the same display.

You're right. My point was that Wacom's own displays don't have multi-touch plus use a stylus. To my knowledge Wacom's Cintiq would be significantly challenged by a larger iPad with both features.