FCC says broadband-class connections must offer at least 25Mbps download speeds

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 85
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

How bad are things really across the country? At the address I live, Comcast is the only option. That usually puts you in a bad position of no real options.

Telecoms generally collude and carve up cities into regions of influence. You can be offered only one service while your neighbor is offered only another.

Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

I don't normally find any agreement with Tallest Skill, but I absolutely agree with the above (on page 1). Well said.

Really? I agree with a fair bit of what you say these days.

• Reply 82 of 85
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,341moderator
    It cannot be said often enough that businesses do not exist to provide jobs. Businesses exist to make a profit. That is their primary function. Jobs are a side effect.

I agree with you that trickle down economics is a lie but Apple is proud of their job creation. Building their own network infrastructure would be huge and they can afford it easily. Remember when they launched the iPhone and it was stuck on AT&T and everyone laughed at them for exclusively using the 2nd best network like they did with Sony:

[VIDEO]

Apple having a network gives them the whole widget.
  • Reply 83 of 85
    Marvin wrote: »
    I agree with you that trickle down economics is a lie but Apple is proud of their job creation. Building their own network infrastructure would be huge and they can afford it easily. Remember when they launched the iPhone and it was stuck on AT&T and everyone laughed at them for exclusively using the 2nd best network like they did with Sony:

[VIDEO]

Apple having a network gives them the whole widget.

Marvin, please stop trying to attribute to me statements that I never made. I never said anything about trickle-down economics. People are employed as a side-effect of a business becoming successful and theoretically the more efficient a business becomes, the fewer people would be needed to generate income (automation = efficiency). Full employment is the misguided goal of government (and the Federal Reserve)...something that should only ever occur in an unregulated and competitive labor market should the prevailing conditions determine such an outcome. Heck, even the Communists couldn't make full employment work.
  • Reply 84 of 85
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,341moderator
    People are employed as a side-effect of a business becoming successful and theoretically the more efficient a business becomes, the fewer people would be needed to generate income

So you're saying that the most efficient and most profitable companies are the least deserving of tax breaks for the purposes of job creation because the reason they are so successful is they can get by with hiring fewer people. I agree they shouldn't get tax breaks but just because they don't need those employees and those employees aren't owed a job, Apple would be proud to invest in their country. They have a whole page about job creation:

https://www.apple.com/about/job-creation/

Building a network of their own would boost that significantly. Do you think it's a bad idea for them to build an internet network?
  • Reply 85 of 85
    dysamoria wrote: »
    I don't normally find any agreement with Tallest Skill, but I absolutely agree with the above (on page 1). Well said.

Try agreeing more. He speaks the most sense around here.