First look: Fitbit Charge HR fitness band with real-time heart rate sensor

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    entropys wrote: »
    For steps wouldn't a phone in you pants pocket be more accurate than something on your arm? What happens when you grate cheese or slice an onion?

I don't believe that t be the case. For runners, there used to be these little footpods one could attach to their running shoes, but nowadays there's an accelerometer in the sports watch itself which is just as accurate.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    No HealthKit support, no purchase from me. I know many people don't think it's necessary, but I see their refusal to support it as hostile, which I don't like as a customer. I suspect, but am not sure, they want to sell my data and therefore don't want it accessible to HealthKit.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    philboogie wrote: »
    The fact that the stock Health app can't even calculate my BMI in spite of it already having my height and weight I see the Health app as a 'nice try, but no cigar'.

The app is seriously lacking from the polish, fit & finish we all have grown accustomed to. It has bugs, sometimes loosing all info, has endless data points from my steps which should be simply truncated to 4 times a day or something. The graphs should be made scrollable to see the history instead of 4 predefined views. It doesn't sync with a Mac or iPad, it ...oh well, here's hoping an update will see it evolve to something useful.

I rarely check the Health app. In fact, I found so little use for it that I had placed in in my '?' folder of default apps that I never access. A few times I've checked it had some comically inaccurate data points. Also, it A) doesn't seem to update periodically on its own, but rather will pull from my only app, Withings, after I click on it, or B) takes a very long time to load the data. (I'll try to determine that at a later point)

I'd think for at the steps, distance, and floors the Health app should be able to poll the Motion chip frequently and store that data in the Health app, so even if a HealthKit capable app later on I could potentially load data from weeks, months or even years earlier that could be coded as archive data, instead of the current approx. 7 day load the M-series chip holds now.

I simply don't understand why I would want to use the Health app at this point.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I rarely check the Health app. In fact, I found so little use for it that I had placed in in my '?' folder of default apps that I never access. A few times I've checked it had some comically inaccurate data points. Also, it A) doesn't seem to update periodically on its own, but rather will pull from my only app, Withings, after I click on it, or B) takes a very long time to load the data. (I'll try to determine that at a later point)

That's a bit odd. I do see it having some lag when changing the scale, going from week to month, but the data itself is being updated on a frequent interval. I check this by tapping on a graph and tap Show All Data. If that data comes from an app that supports Health it will most likely be a single entry point. But looking at Steps it does have a history which has been accumulated many times a day, no, an hour, no every freaking minute, or even more often!
    I'd think for at the steps, distance, and floors the Health app should be able to poll the Motion chip frequently and store that data in the Health app, so even if a HealthKit capable app later on I could potentially load data from weeks, months or even years earlier that could be coded as archive data, instead of the current approx. 7 day load the M-series chip holds now.

I've never read anything about the M chip storing info for 7 days. It simply collects data from the accelerometer (M7 & M8) and barometer (M8) and stores it. This is merely done on this co-processor so that the main CPU does't drain the battery, same as the phone having a 3rd processor not everyone knows about; the processor for the phone part.
    I simply don't understand why I would want to use the Health app at this point.

I can understand that. Though in all fairness, if you were to use more fitness apps (and work out) I can see it having its value.

Do you use the weight scale from Withings or something else entirely? I'm thinking of getting that Aura sleep thing, as entering my sleeping habits manually is a bore.

See this strange screen dumb; no data but 9,556 steps taken today (odd; I was out cycling)

• Reply 25 of 27
    lowepglowepg Posts: 106member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by philky View Post

I can't think of any reason why anyone would still waste their money on these "3rd party" brands when the "Real thing" that works best with iOS devices is already on its way!

lol...

Maybe because the "real thing" you're talking about isn't actually REAL yet....

• Reply 26 of 27
    jimjkjimjk Posts: 1member

Sorry in advance for going in tangent... but I've lost my Charge HR usb cable and my fitbit is out of juice.. replacement cable is a week away and looking at going the DIY route to temporarily charge my fitbit...

I tried to measure DC Voltage using multimeter on the back of the Fitbit Charge HR but getting a reading of 0..  I'm told if there's a diode in the Fitbit, I won't e able to do any reading and will need to do a reading from the USB Cable end..

On the Charge HR USB Cable, there should be 1 end with 2 Prongs - any change anyone knows or can determine which of these prongs is + / - ?   

THanks in advance any help provided.

cheers..

• Reply 27 of 27
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    jimjk wrote: »
    Sorry in advance for going in tangent... but I've lost my Charge HR usb cable and my fitbit is out of juice.. replacement cable is a week away and looking at going the DIY route to temporarily charge my fitbit...

I tried to measure DC Voltage using multimeter on the back of the Fitbit Charge HR but getting a reading of 0..  I'm told if there's a diode in the Fitbit, I won't e able to do any reading and will need to do a reading from the USB Cable end..

On the Charge HR USB Cable, there should be 1 end with 2 Prongs - any change anyone knows or can determine which of these prongs is + / - ?   

THanks in advance any help provided.

cheers..

Is the charging cable the same as the FitBit Force? If so, send me your mailing address in a private message and I'll send you my charging cable (assuming I can dig it up). I had a FitBit Force — which I liked — but despite my fervent attention to making sure that shitty clasp was attached after about 2 months it slipped off somewhere never to be seen again.