Apple releases TV ad for China's Lunar New Year, to open new store in Tianjin this week

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2015
In preparation for the upcoming Chinese New Year, Apple has released a new China-specific version of its ad "The Song," and the company has also revealed that its new store in Tianjin will open this Saturday.

Showing how some concepts transcend language and cultures, the new ad is essentially a beat-for-beat remake of the original American "The Song" ad, in which a young girl re-records and harmonizes over a song originally recorded by her grandmother.

As a gift, the grandmother is given the new recording to listen to, saved on an iPad. Like the original commercial, the ad focuses on the human side of Apple's ecosystem, and spends very little time showing the company's actual products.

Also coinciding with the Chinese New Year is this Saturday's opening of the company's new Tianjin store. Apple's website has been updated to reveal that the grand opening will take place this Saturday at 10 a.m. local time.

The new location in the Nankai District will open its doors just one week after the Chongqing store in Southwest China had its own grand opening. Those are two of five new stores that will open between New Year's Day and China's Lunar New Year, which falls on Feb. 19.

Apple has said it plans to increase the number of Apple Stores in China to 40 by mid-2016.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Nice to see AOL (Apple - Old Ladies Division) is alive and well, in ads at home & abroad.

• Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Nice to see AOL (Apple - Old Ladies Division) is alive and well, in ads at home & abroad.

Pity the bored and dumb who don't get the message of these ads.

• Reply 3 of 7
    It works in both languages
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Great ad. I was wondering of it would be in the traditional music scale or Western. There was a quick shot of headphones that looked like "Beats" but it was too fast to tell and the lighting didn't illuminate it that well. But in addition to the iPad the ad also showed off the MacBook Air and GarageBand software.

The Western influence was also evident in the skinny jeans and extra long sleeved sweater the girl wore... high fashion to anyone who is "with it." So Apple is very subtle in working fashion into their ads. The message has all the right hooks to those who are progressive, fashionably and technically.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    Nice to see and hear an Apple commercial without MTV edits, sophomoronic music.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Pity the bored and dumb who don't get the message of these ads.

Pity the unimaginative, who actually think that discrediting a username is the same as discrediting a comment...

On the other hand, I didn't really have a pithy point, just an observation about the similarities of the two ads.

They may represent canny targeting...but are not really "sliced bread"...

And what about my comment suggests I didn't get their point???

• Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Great ad. I was wondering of it would be in the traditional music scale or Western. There was a quick shot of headphones that looked like "Beats" but it was too fast to tell and the lighting didn't illuminate it that well. But in addition to the iPad the ad also showed off the MacBook Air and GarageBand software.

The Western influence was also evident in the skinny jeans and extra long sleeved sweater the girl wore... high fashion to anyone who is "with it." So Apple is very subtle in working fashion into their ads. The message has all the right hooks to those who are progressive, fashionably and technically.

Meh.

There's a difference between cool and trendy. Apple have traditionally been cool. This ad strikes me as self-consciously trendy, which means it isn't cool at all.

Try and keep up.