2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I thought these data centers practically ran themselves? Guessing the large number of jobs are only for the construction phase?

Another source mentioned 150 permanent jobs.

Sounds reasonable for three shifts, but a lot of that is going to be grounds and building maintenance along with plenty of security guards. Most NOCs have ten or so network computer people each shift, maybe less at night.

• Reply 22 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Sounds reasonable for three shifts, but a lot of that is going to be grounds and building maintenance along with plenty of security guards. Most NOCs have ten or so network computer people each shift, maybe less at night.

Some will be security to keep the Samsung stooges from hopping the fence.

• Reply 23 of 40

I picture something like this:

This would be perfect for the "War Room" in the new mothership campus.

• Reply 24 of 40
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Unfortunately, Apple will never have an official War Room.  It's all about "diversity" and "green" this and "green" that instead. 

Hell, if you ask me, Apple should go nuclear power and build an actual War Room.

• Reply 25 of 40
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Sounds like a damn good use for the space. Apple can never have enough data centers.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Unfortunately, Apple will never have an official War Room.  It's all about "diversity" and "green" this and "green" that instead. 

Hell, if you ask me, Apple should go nuclear power and build an actual War Room.

I still want an aircraft carrier. The urinals could be known as Schmidts.

• Reply 27 of 40
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,731member

I still want an aircraft carrier. The urinals could be known as Schmidts.

That would be confusing ... I could see that soon leading to guys saying 'I'm going to take a Schmidt break'.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    Quote:

Exactly! Global Command Center sounds so much more commanding and impressive. Your pic is also similar to what I envision.

When I think of green data center, I envision something like this:

Which one is you?

Just kidding. This is hilarious.

• Reply 29 of 40
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,047member
    Quote:

The other report indicated that the facility would be staffed by 150 full-time Apple employees. Building maintenance and security staff would be contracted out so those people would not be part of this 150.

• Reply 30 of 40
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInSD View Post

What I'd like news on is who's picking up the sapphire job so I can have a sapphire screen on my 6s Plus.

I may wait for the sapphire screen too, well as long as my iPhone 4 continues to service me well.

But I doubt I can wait until the iPhone 9 for the sapphire screen though;  perhaps the iPhone 7 will tempt me too much.

• Reply 31 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

The other report indicated that the facility would be staffed by 150 full-time Apple employees. Building maintenance and security staff would be contracted out so those people would not be part of this 150.

Data centers are different than office buildings. By building maintenance, I meant people who do tasks like making rounds like they do on a ship or at a hospital. You have a lot of chillers, fans and filters, checking of valves, coolant, batteries, fire suppression, test running the generators, etc. At the data center I am most familiar with, which is really small in comparison, they have 4-5 people per shift doing that sort of thing and they are full time employees not contractors. As for security, there are at least two types in the data center. Exterior and interior. Those inside need to be certified with a higher security clearance than a parking lot guard. The higher level guards are often full time employees. In the same case mentioned above, at first the guards were contracted, but when we got some really high profile clients, they insisted that the guards be full time employees. With the level of privacy and security involved here, I think something similar might be the case as well.

• Reply 32 of 40
    Quote:

You should probably try to make friends with these guys. I'm sure they have access to some good Kush that you enjoy so much.

• Reply 33 of 40
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

You should probably try to make friends with these guys. I'm sure they have access to some good Kush that you enjoy so much.

I am very happy to report that I am able to secure some pretty decent stuff, without ever having to run into any of those types of people.

• Reply 34 of 40
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member

Sapphire screens seem to be unnecessary at this point, particularly since Gorilla Glass keeps getting better. I know Apple likes to use materials that offer something special and have an advantage, but sapphire doesn't really seem to fit the bill.

• Reply 35 of 40
    welshdog wrote: »
    Sapphire screens seem to be unnecessary at this point, particularly since Gorilla Glass keeps getting better. I know Apple likes to use materials that offer something special and have an advantage, but sapphire doesn't really seem to fit the bill.

We may get to see some lab and real world tests that are otherwise equal once ?Watch arrives.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member

Very prescient of Apple to locate the command and control center on future beachfront property.

4126678027_3c787fdb1e_m.jpg

After the Greenland ice shelf drops, they will be sitting pretty
  • Reply 37 of 40
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,731member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    We may get to see some lab and real world tests that are otherwise equal once ?Watch arrives.

The ?Watch always seemed a far better candidate than other Apple devices, size and need for resilience. We fling our arms around all the time at great speed and stick our hands in places we would never if holding an iPhone or iPad. I have to replace my watch crystal every couple of years due to deep scratches (no idea how they happen) and they are not cheap on a Rolex! Sapphire on an ?Watch has always made perfect sense to me. Plus that would be one more differentiating factor from the copy cats selling at lower prices.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Would be pretty cool if they had a round table.

'Knights of the Round Table'

• Reply 39 of 40
    Quote:

Quote:

Kush? Is that a kind of mushy peas? 

I like mushy peas.