Apple's iOS 8 now on 72% of customer devices, nearly double any Android version

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by capasicum View Post

Consider an application targeting Lollipop, at 1.6%

As an app developer (for both iOS and Android), I don't target a single version of any OS.  There are a number of reasons for that. 

1. The technology moves to quickly to target a single version, there are too  many periods where  multiple versions have a significant market share

2.  Apps evolve in a compatbile way. If I have an app that works on iOS7 and iOS 8 is released, I would be stupid to alter my app so it is no longer compatible with iOS7

For Android there are 2 additional reasons

3. A big chunk of the APIs that I need are part of  the play services, which is an app by itself and is Android version independent. 

4. The figures for the devices that actually download apps are different than the figures you find on the Google website.  Most pre JellyBean devices are at least 2 years old and are in a frozen state: the user does not download any new apps. So it does not make sense to target these versions when developing apps.  For my own apps the statistics are around 10% Lollipop, 50% Kitkat, 35% JellyBean.  

• Reply 22 of 32
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    capasicum wrote: »
    <a href="/u/208536/solipsismy" id="user_poster_2670741" style="line-height:normal;" name="user_poster_2670741">SolipsismY</a>
     already noted that you seem to not read what you comment on.

No, I read it, and I commented on it.

Now, on Apple:
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">1. Most iOS devices use the AppStore (including jailbroken devices). Not the case with Google Play Store (see my previous post).</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">2. Apple</span>
    <strong style="font-style:normal;line-height:1.4em;">ALWAYS</strong>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">provides</span>
    <strong style="font-style:normal;line-height:1.4em;">SALES</strong>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;"> numbers, not estimates.</span>

So, the confidence interval for Apple's provided numbers is in the 90-th percentile, while for Google it goes down to ??

What are you talking about? Apples numbers are from devices contacting the App Store, exactly the same as the Google Developer stats. This has nothing to do with Sales numbers, Apple and Google report them seperately.

Q: Can you estimate your target market as an app developer?
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">A.1: For iOS it is possible with some degree of inaccuracy since Apple provides the number of devices shipped each quarter. With some analysis you can get</span>
    <strong style="font-style:normal;line-height:1.4em;">MEANINGFUL</strong>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">numbers, although not exact.</span>

A.2: For Android it is effectively impossible to do so. 
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Consider an application targeting Lollipop, at 1.6%. If that percentage is out of 1.5 billion devices, then that's 24 million potential buyers.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Unfortunately, </span>
    the<span style="line-height:1.4em;"> number of devices is impossible to infer form what Google provides as data.</span>

You are confusing things. Apple reports developer stats exactly the same way Google does, connections to their App Store at certain points. I have an iOS 5 device here, it never connects to the App Store, Apple isn't counting it in their stats.

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Now, looking back at what a </span>
    lot of people wrote, it seems that most of them implicitly apply Google's provided percentages to the the 84% marketshare. And that is bullshit. Actually, the 84% market share is bullshit, but that's another topic.

What has that got to do with the developer stats Google has reported?
    Remove the ASOP. I would even say remove the whole "Others" category that takes close to 50% of ALL smartphone sales and you are left with 34% of all devices shipped ... at best. So, Lollipop would be 1.6% out of 34%, i.e. 0.55% ... maybe, maybe not. Who knows?

Again, do you know the difference between Google Android devices and other Android devices, and which ones Google reports on?
  • Reply 23 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

The only point he is stated is he thinks the devices that don't use the Google Services are Google Android devices, which they aren't. So why would Google care about them

Google executives seem to care about those numbers a lot when talking about 84% Android market share.

My point is simple and I made it a few times: Google Play Store numbers are not based on the total Android devices, the glorified 84% market share. But those details are never explicitly stated in the media. That is why a lot of people think that say KitKat is 39.7% out of 84%, i.e. 33.34% to all smartphones. That inference is WRONG.

And my other point is that while with Apple the case is similar, due to their policies there is no huge alternative ecosystem of stores and devices.

That is why I wrote that with Apple you can get meaningful numbers in the 90th percentile confidence interval.

What of those two points you don't get?

Quote:

Originally Posted by cropr View Post

As an app developer (for both iOS and Android), I don't target a single version of any OS.  There are a number of reasons for that. 

1. The technology moves to quickly to target a single version, there are too  many periods where  multiple versions have a significant market share

2.  Apps evolve in a compatbile way. If I have an app that works on iOS7 and iOS 8 is released, I would be stupid to alter my app so it is no longer compatible with iOS7

For Android there are 2 additional reasons

3. A big chunk of the APIs that I need are part of  the play services, which is an app by itself and is Android version independent. 

4. The figures for the devices that actually download apps are different than the figures you find on the Google website.  Most pre JellyBean devices are at least 2 years old and are in a frozen state: the user does not download any new apps. So it does not make sense to target these versions when developing apps.  For my own apps the statistics are around 10% Lollipop, 50% Kitkat, 35% JellyBean.  

So, you get paid by those percentages in some way? Or by the sale?

Sales projections are made on the market size. That information is fuzzy for the Apple AppStore but completely obscured for the Google Play Store.

Now do you get my point?

• Reply 24 of 32
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by capasicum View Post

I get my income from inApp purchases roughly 40% on iOS and 60% on Android, but basically I don't care if I am getting it from iOS or Android, as long as the bills are getting paid.

• Reply 25 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Yay "open"! ¡

I expect the iOS 7 rate to keep dropping as iPhone 4 owners reach their upgrade dates.

As they reach it they will slip their phones to kids or sell them so they wont disapear. They count cca 6 % of iOS devices now. But iOS 7 will drop when users that can upgrade will be willing to do that.

There is more detailed statistic than Apple provide:

http://david-smith.org/iosversionstats/

Overall      iOS 8   iOS 7 iOS 6 Other

Overall     60.6%  30.9%  6.3%  2.0%

There is still 15 to 50 % users of iOS 7 by device that can upgrade.

• Reply 26 of 32

There would be more interesting to show us how many devices is using each system iOS/Android. How many of them is using one, two, tree ... old OS. It would require a bit more work then copy paste.

• Reply 27 of 32
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member

Google executives seem to care about those numbers a lot when talking about 84% Android market share.

My point is simple and I made it a few times: Google Play Store numbers are not based on the total Android devices, the glorified 84% market share. But those details are never explicitly stated in the media. That is why a lot of people think that say KitKat is 39.7% out of 84%, i.e. 33.34% to all smartphones. That inference is WRONG.

And my other point is that while with Apple the case is similar, due to their policies there is no huge alternative ecosystem of stores and devices.

That is why I wrote that with Apple you can get meaningful numbers in the 90th percentile confidence interval.

Sales projections are made on the market size. That information is fuzzy for the Apple AppStore but completely obscured for the Google Play Store.

Now do you get my point?

He'll never get there are two similar but separate options that use the "Android" name and that are interchanged in so-called journalism to, often, pick the one that best makes Apple look bad and/or make "Android" look better in comparison.

I can't imagine this isn't intentional on Google's part to trick those that are don't care enough to know the difference or those that aren't capable of knowing the difference into helping "Android" weaknesses look stronger. That's right out Sun Tzu (or any strategy book worthwhile) but it does mean we have to deal with the inevitable "There are [x-trillion] devices running Android..." (with ASOP excluded) and "...40% of them are on KitKat." as if those statements are in any connected.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member

Headline: Apple's iOS 8 now on 72% of customer devices, nearly double any Android version

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Adoption of Apple's latest mobile operating system continues to grow, according to the company's App Store statistics, with 72 percent of iPhones, iPads, and iPod touches now running on iOS 8 while no single version of Google's Android has surpassed 40 percent.

In contrast, recent data from Google's Play Store shows that same figure to be just 41.3 percent. Devices running Android 4.4 KitKat, which was unveiled in 2013, account for the lion's share with 39.7 percent, while 2014's Lollipop clocks in at a mere 1.6 percent.

I had to read fairly far down into the article to fully realize that the author understood that Android versions aren't close to having nearly 40% of devices running iOS 8. I'd say Android devices are at zero percent running iOS 8.

• Reply 29 of 32

This article isn't about market share, it is about the percentage of phones that are on the latest OS. Apple and Google report these figures exactly the same way, why are you having trouble with this fact.

I know you have made it several times, but the point is pointless, this is an article about the percentage of phones that are on the latest OS. No one is thinking otherwise, you look at the figures and say, man that is poor, only 1.6% of devices are on lollipop. It doesn't matter if they have sold 100 phones, or 10 billion, it is still only 1.6% of them that connect to the store, that is extremely low. Apple is reporting that 72% of the devices that have connected to the store recently are on iOS 8, that is quite high. Did you notice in either case, neither Apple or Google reported the actual number of devices that connected to the Store in that time period?

Not similar, the same, Apple reports their developer stats the same way google does

The ones where you constantly go on about sales numbers, and the one where you don't understand how Apple reports their developer stats.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    [@]capasicum[/@], I wouldn't even bother. You'll have better luck rationalizing with a cat as to why it shouldn't lick its genitals on the couch in front of company.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    heliahelia Posts: 170member

Now I wish to be an android user. The kind of fun would I have, had my device received LOLlipop while many others around me haven't and probably won't ever. Now everyone on Apple world could jump into ios8 wagon, absolutely no fun in it to have same version of OS as the others'¡

• Reply 32 of 32
    solipsismy wrote: »
    [@]capasicum[/@], I wouldn't even bother. You'll have better luck rationalizing with a cat as to why it shouldn't lick its genitals on the couch in front of company.

Ah, didn't take you long to get back to your usual comments, congratulations.