iPhone 6 launch led Apple to 47.7% share of US market, edging Android's 47.6%

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    I’m getting kinda tired of these “my penis is bigger than your’s” articles. We harp about how Apple takes the majority of profits and how market share is meaningless, then turn around and obsess over market share. Isn’t it enough that Apple is the most important tech company of our era?

Marketshare IS important. No matter what Apple fans say.

BUT profit is obviously more important.

They're not really exclusive. You think if Apple had %1 marketshare they would have reported a record quarter in profits?

The more marketshare Apple takes from android the better! It only means they're taking back more profit the iPhoneys stole.

I would love to see a quarter where ALL android smartphones post a loss. THAT can actually become a reality soon.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

I'm surprised that there's still +40% of people that buy into Android being "just as good but cheaper" than iPhone:

Arstechnica - Malicious Google Play apps (may have) hosed millions of Android handsets

Read the "Promoted Comment" and tell me why anyone would want to deal with that... ever! image

It's true for those 40%+ of people who don't know sh.t about maximizing the smart phone usability, so they only use basic features like: calls, texts, some emails and web browsing. Yup, those are people who never buy an app because they don't know how to use it.

• Reply 23 of 34
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jj.yuan View Post

I remember someone said that the iPhone is the only phone that, although expensive, is an affordable luxury item that most people want. No matter if you are a billionaire or a millionaire, you can't find a better phone. So, you will want one. If you are in middle class or blue collar class, you can have one without too much trouble. Adults and kids can all have it. This is just a phenomenal product!

Yeah, I rarely see a celebrity using an Android phone...beside LeBron James.

• Reply 24 of 34
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    cali wrote: »
    Marketshare IS important. No matter what Apple fans say.

BUT profit is obviously more important.

They're not really exclusive. You think if Apple had %1 marketshare they would have reported a record quarter in profits?

The more marketshare Apple takes from android the better! It only means they're taking back more profit the iPhoneys stole.

I would love to see a quarter where ALL android smartphones post a loss. THAT can actually become a reality soon.

Apple has 10% PC market share but take a large chunk of the profits.

But this is US numbers, what's Apple worldwide share and correlate that to its worldwide profit.

Market share for the sake of market share is pointless.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    As a lover of technology I stopped caring about numbers a long time ago. I hate to ask this bit based on the comments some of the users are posting I must ask have you used an android in the last two years? The crappy screens and constant freezing has ceased a long time ago on android. I am proud to say that as far as consumer use and performance both OSs are really viable. The only things that one edges the other out is things general consumers Dont care about to much, screen resolution and CPU architecture. (Seriously ask a non tech person about 64bit vs 84x) its entertaining. I for one can't wait for what 2015 has instored for us. I am looking forward to project Ara and I hope apple can continue to inovate for the 9th generation iPhone. (I can't stand apples numbering system)
  • Reply 26 of 34
    fallenjt wrote: »
    It's true for those 40%+ of people who don't know sh.t about maximizing the smart phone usability, so they only use basic features like: calls, texts, some emails and web browsing. Yup, those are people who never buy an app because they don't know how to use it.

Of course you're correct about Android's basic usage as the feature phone replacement of the day. I've said the same often enough here.

However, did you take a moment to glance at the article and especially the comment section? A fair number of Android fans are getting hit with what looks to be drive-by exploits without installing apps. The "promoted comment" with screen shot looks like something nastier than what we experience on iOS with Safari ads and scripts pushing people into the App Store****.

*** That shit has got to be dealt with soon, somehow!
  • Reply 27 of 34

I personally do not get it. Apple is doing really well in the US.

I sold iPhone 6 got from my contract and purchased Android (Sony for great AOSP support). I simply do not want a smart "phone" but a smart personal computing device at the phone size. Physical HDMI out for screen mirroring; Swappable MicroSD; OTG USB hubs; Mouse Input; Free install APKs etc... All these features allow android phone to become a versatile computing device. It can be carried as a phone or docked with multiple devices connected through a USBhub, just like a desktop PC. But it is just my use case.

• Reply 28 of 34
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member

I knew I didn't like android but - jeez!

Reading that article is just sad. Obvious that Google will dump Android for ChromeOS - just a matter of time.

At least in a walled garden you don't continually step in doggie doo.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    So Apple taking advantage of no flagship Android phones being launched since last summer? BFD.. LOL. I'm loving my S5 and I'm looking forward to the upcoming Android flagships like the HTC M9, S6 and LG G4. Android should be back on top by May of this year.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jj.yuan View Post

I remember someone said that the iPhone is the only phone that, although expensive, is an affordable luxury item that most people want. No matter if you are a billionaire or a millionaire, you can't find a better phone. So, you will want one. If you are in middle class or blue collar class, you can have one without too much trouble. Adults and kids can all have it. This is just a phenomenal product!

How do people constantly say iPhone are "expensive" etc? Look at FLAGSHIP Android phones. The HTC M8, GS5, LG G3, Xperia and Note phones are all retailing for $700 plus, just like the iPhones. Most of the these iPhone buyers in the US are getting contract pricing at $100-200 a phone, and they don't count as the luxury or rich buyers. A 15 year old middle class kid asks his parents for the latest iPhone in today's society.

• Reply 31 of 34
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by deepen03 View Post

How do people constantly say iPhone are "expensive" etc? Look at FLAGSHIP Android phones. The HTC M8, GS5, LG G3, Xperia and Note phones are all retailing for $700 plus, just like the iPhones. Most of the these iPhone buyers in the US are getting contract pricing at $100-200 a phone, and they don't count as the luxury or rich buyers. A 15 year old middle class kid asks his parents for the latest iPhone in today's society.

The fifteen year old is spoiled asking for such an expensive product today.Let the 15 year old work    for it like delivering groceries or any part time job they can get.Working for it they assume some responsibility in their lives not just asking for it.Yes i phones are expensive in our staggering economy today.

• Reply 32 of 34
    marvfox wrote: »

The fifteen year old is spoiled asking for such an expensive product today.Let the 15 year old work    for it like delivering groceries or any part time job they can get.Working for it they assume some responsibility in their lives not just asking for it.Yes i phones are expensive in our staggering economy today.

I believe his point was not that iphones are expensive but they are in the same price range most other high end smart phones. My question is how can one call any phone luxury unless its a vertu.

If you want to call phones cars let's do it. An iPhone is like an STI, a Galaxy is like a Mustang more power but not as efficient same goes for lg a camero and HTC a challenger they all of their pluses and minuses at the end of the day they all get the job done its all based on taste.

PS I'm conflicted between an STI or a Challenger awd beauty or pure american muscle.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    my neighbor's half-sister makes $62 /hr on the computer . She has been without a job for 6 months but last month her check was $15832 just working on the computer for a few hours. check out here...........
    %u279C%u279C%u279C%u279C%u279C www.netjob70.com