Insider advises Apple investors to brace for 50% plunge in iPad sales this quarter

Comments

• Reply 21 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Steve's dead, time to move on.

The Mac Pro? Yeah that's a company saver... ROTFLMAO. Something that screams "niche product"?

http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/performance/

Good one.

Please ignore brlawyer (and pazuzu)!

I am surprised these one-note-Johnnies haven't been banned yet.

• Reply 22 of 186
    rp2011rp2011 Posts: 159member
    I think a leveling out was always in the cards. Every new product category eventually reaches its saturation point. I use my iPad 2 every day. People love their iPads but they are so good at what they do that older models are still great for most people.

It would be a real problem if others were taking any real market share from Apple. When people want a tablet they still choose the iPad over anything else. The numbers will remain the way Macs are now with smaller sales fluctuations per quarters.
  • Reply 23 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Merging to use OS? no, no. It will further damage to the laptop sale. Bad business and financial move. 

But good for users. And at some point, they need to weigh the risk of losing business in one area to continue pushing forward and maintaining or gaining business in another area. Plus a device like this would likely not compete with the Pro line which would have much more powerful processors.  

Also - with iPads much more popular than MacBooks, this could be a good way of introducing more people to OS X that may later decide to buy a full Mac computer.

• Reply 24 of 186
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Some of the things Apple has done with iPad are head scratching. In 2013 they basically bring parity to the mini and full size iPad making screen size and price the only differentiator. Then they abandon that one year later with the iPad mini 3 which basically does nothing but add Touch ID, And just when you think Apple would/should be moving to retina only screens across all iOS devices they decide to keep the original mini in the lineup. Even though you can get competing tablets with much better screens for cheaper. Apple needs a big rethink on iPad. Just throwing some IBM apps on it and having IBM push it to big companies is not enough.
  • Reply 25 of 186
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    You will be eating your words when Apple Watch hits the shelf. My prediction is that Apple Watch sale number will be over 15 millions the first year.

I don't know what ?Watch has to do with iPad. ?Watch wasn't created to replace iPad.
  • Reply 26 of 186
    Quote:

Originally Posted by droslovinia View Post

What's the emoticon for laughing and pointing at yet another loser analyst who pretends to be an "insider" to buttress yet another round of "Apple is doomed" predictions?

Where did he say that Apple is doomed?

• Reply 27 of 186
    Quote:

Same clown who said iPhone 5C would be a flop too? LOL

http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/10/reliable-analyst-cuts-sales-forecast-for-the-iphone-5c

Same guy who predicted the blow out sales for the iPhone last quarter.

• Reply 28 of 186
    Quote:

Merging to use OS? no, no. It will further damage to the laptop sale. Bad business and financial move. 

Well, yes and no.  Many here have intelligently discussed the massive potential of blurring the lines between mobile and desktop computing...this would be good for consumers.  If you think about it, the iPad is an inexpensive laptop yet has the computing power to do almost all of what 80% of the population wants.  However, when doing a bit more serious typing, calcs, editing, etc., it's best if the screen were vertical and the interface(s) handled ergonomically (e.g. mouse, keyboard, voice, air gestures, etc.).

...this could be Apple's opportunity to increase to 50%-60% of the developed world's computer (mobile and desktop combined) purchases...when considering that Apple will continue to increase sales of its iMac and hopefully a re-marketed Mac Mini/display package.

Basically, in 10 years all that consumers will know is that Apple is THE computing hardware to use because it's seamless and reasonably priced...and won't feel the difference between mobile and desktop computing.  And they won't care if it's OSX or iOS...they just all work.

• Reply 29 of 186
    How is DED going to spin this into hyperbole that ZOMG!!!! APPLE IS DA BESTEST RAWR!!!!
  • Reply 30 of 186
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

big deal.  I also predicted they would sell 70 million iPhones.  Am i an insider?

but Ming also said the 6+ would be delayed till 2015

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/news/5-5-iphone-6-delay-possibly-2015/

I'd put Ming's track record against yours any day.

• Reply 31 of 186
    >> believes iPad shipments will "struggle to top" 45 million units this year

Most companies would be very happy with numbers like that, with good margins.

The product is getting mature, and these do not need to be renewed every year. It's not dead, it's just slowing down.

No Big Deal.
  • Reply 32 of 186
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I don't know what ?Watch has to do with iPad. ?Watch wasn't created to replace iPad.

The poster mentioned Apple Watch in response to another comment. You know the one that goes "Apple Watch is going to fail and I don't understand it or like it." and then once the watch is released turns into "Well of course they sold million and millions, it's Apple and their stupid customers."

• Reply 33 of 186
    Quote:

Originally Posted by huffcw View Post

But good for users. And at some point, they need to weigh the risk of losing business in one area to continue pushing forward and maintaining or gaining business in another area. Plus a device like this would likely not compete with the Pro line which would have much more powerful processors.  

Also - with iPads much more popular than MacBooks, this could be a good way of introducing more people to OS X that may later decide to buy a full Mac computer.

Yes...definitely one way to look at it.

laptop/shmaptop. iPad/sHmipad. In a few years, these are merely different forms of screen sizes/input methods.

Apple cares little that one form makes way for another form.

And yes, some day, history books will use Apple as THE example for the "halo effect".

• Reply 34 of 186
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Who'd have thought 45 MM iPads would be considered a struggle.
  • Reply 35 of 186
    Well-complimented analyst. ;)
  • Reply 36 of 186
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by huffcw View Post

Good for users? I doubt it. I would say 90% of iPad owners don't do real works on their iPad. Apple have never wanted to do hybrid device, in this case, it's kind of. Their products are for designated use and give best user experience. iPad would never perform well with laptop functions and vice versa. Tell me any keyboard-mouse combo for tablet out there would perform even close to Apple Magic Pad-mouse combo.

• Reply 37 of 186

and... in case anyone cares about what he actually said about the iPhone 6 plus before it was introduced:

"Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities revealed in a new research note on Thursday, a copy of which was obtained by AppleInsider, that he expects both sizes of the new iPhone to be unveiled at Apple's Sept. 9 media event. However, he doesn't expect shipments of the jumbo-sized 5.5-inch model to ramp up until later this year.

As a result, Kuo believes the 5.5-inch "iPhone 6" may not debut until sometime after its smaller 4.7-inch brethren. He also believes Apple may have difficulty keeping up with demand for the larger variant through the end of 2014.

But he does expect that both models will offer 128 gigabyte versions, which would double the current maximum capacity of 64 gigabytes found in the iPhone 5s. Apple already offers 128-gigabyte versions of its larger iPad Air and iPad mini."

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/09/04/iphone-6-will-lack-sapphire-cover-but-gain-128gb-variant-analyst-ming-chi-kuo-says

Which is quite a bit different than what some members are trying to portray.

(emphasis in bold is mine)

• Reply 38 of 186
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cm477 View Post

How is Kuo an insider? He is a street analyst, not an Apple employee.

He's not.

The staff on this site do not understand what an insider is.

An insider would be an Apple employee, contractor, board member, etc. or someone privy to company confidential knowledge provided by one of the aforementioned.

Kuo's track record has been slightly better than most analysts, but clearly he does not a reliable source within the company. Most likely, he is a bit more astute in his analysis of various rumors from the supply chain, potential product improvements, etc. than the typical analyst, but there's no indication that he has a source of inside information.

There is no justifiable reason to label Kuo an insider.

• Reply 39 of 186
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    huffcw wrote: »
    But good for users. And at some point, they need to weigh the risk of losing business in one area to continue pushing forward and maintaining or gaining business in another area. <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Plus a device like this would likely not compete with the Pro line which would have much more powerful processors.  </span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Also - with iPads much more popular than MacBooks, this could be a good way of introducing more people to OS X that may later decide to buy a full Mac computer.</span>

Nope. ios was not designed for the mouse just like OS X wasn't designed for touch. Hybrids have failed.

Apple has no problem cannibalizing its own products.
  • Reply 40 of 186
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

The iPad is the new now-dead iPod - but this time without SJ to create true new demand for the next big thing.

Its purported "replacement"? The pathetic AWatch.

At least give us a new Mac Pro, then.

If the legal profession was valued in terms of how many world-changing and life-improving ideas the people working within it have come up with, it'd be a penny stock.