Job listing offers glimpse at advanced medical research being conducted by Apple

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Health management and care is going to take tremendous strides in the next 100 years, imho.

The idea of chemicals and surgery will become a thing of the past.

Looking at today's operating room in 2115 will be even more antiquated looking than the way we look at the operating room of 1915... again, imho.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

And looking at 2115's operating room in 2215 will be even more antiquated looking than the way we look at the operating room of 2015.

Good game, this.

Yep....  :D

Kirk & Crew rescue Chekov from 20th Century Medicine

Bones: "..it sounds like the goddamn Spanish Inquisition..."

• Reply 42 of 51
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    ireland wrote: »
    If my watch could tell me when I needed to drink water and when a diabetic should take their insulin it'd be an amazing product with no other features – besides the time.
    If it could tell you when your blood sugars were going nuts because of a carbohydrate over load - it would be beneficial to many people, diabetics or non diabetics alike.
  • Reply 43 of 51
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

If my watch could tell me when I needed to drink water and when a diabetic should take their insulin it'd be an amazing product with no other features – besides the time.

If it could tell you when your blood sugars were going nuts because of a carbohydrate over load - it would be beneficial to many people, diabetics or non diabetics alike.

Or just eat sensibly.

• Reply 44 of 51
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,333moderator
    paxman wrote: »
    If it could tell you when your blood sugars were going nuts because of an carbohydrate over load - it would be beneficial to many people, diabetics or non diabetics.

Hypochondriacs are going to love it. It might be beneficial to everyone around hypochondriacs too because the Watch can let them know there's nothing wrong with them. I wonder if Siri will snap though, she'll get fed up with them asking what's wrong with them.
    ireland wrote:
    If my watch could tell me when I needed to drink water it'd be an amazing product with no other features

I can see it now:

Watch: do you feel thirsty? Y/N
    User: Y
    Watch: Go get a drink

Dehydration is something people don't keep track of enough so if it can sample hydration level and give a warning, that would be useful. Same for tiredness or alcohol level when people are about to drive. Drunk people will be arguing with it over who gets the keys. Siri will call the cops if they start driving while over the limit and point them to the right location.

Someone on the forum mentioned Raman Spectroscopy a while back as a possible technique they're using with the scanner under the watch:

http://web.mit.edu/spectroscopy/research/biomedresearch/Raman_blood.html

"measurement of Glucose, Urea, Triglyceride, Total Protein, Albumin, Hemoglobin and Hematocrit in whole blood"

Protein measurement can help athletes and body builders. Some of that can help monitor the heart e.g cholesterol. I wonder if it could detect diseases too. A bloodless HIV test would be good but also early cancer detection.

A lot of these things are infrequent tests though so not particularly important in an everyday watch. If your cholesterol level is ok then it'll most likely be ok for a while. If it helps selling the Watch to someone, the more features the better I suppose.
  • Reply 45 of 51
    Marvin wrote: »
    paxman wrote: »
    If it could tell you when your blood sugars were going nuts because of an carbohydrate over load - it would be beneficial to many people, diabetics or non diabetics.

Hypochondriacs are going to love it. It might be beneficial to everyone around hypochondriacs too because the Watch can let them know there's nothing wrong with them. I wonder if Siri will snap though, she'll get fed up with them asking what's wrong with them.
    ireland wrote:
    If my watch could tell me when I needed to drink water it'd be an amazing product with no other features

I can see it now:

Dehydration is something people don't keep track of enough so if it can sample hydration level and give a warning, that would be useful. Same for tiredness or alcohol level when people are about to drive. Drunk people will be arguing with it over who gets the keys. Siri will call the cops if they start driving while over the limit and point them to the right location.

Someone on the forum mentioned Raman Spectroscopy a while back as a possible technique they're using with the scanner under the watch:

"measurement of Glucose, Urea, Triglyceride, Total Protein, Albumin, Hemoglobin and Hematocrit in whole blood"

Protein measurement can help athletes and body builders. Some of that can help monitor the heart e.g cholesterol. I wonder if it could detect diseases too. A bloodless HIV test would be good but also early cancer detection.

A lot of these things are infrequent tests though so not particularly important in an everyday watch. If your cholesterol level is ok then it'll most likely be ok for a while. If it helps selling the Watch to someone, the more features the better I suppose.

Is Tim Cook a closet hypochondriac?

I wonder. It would explain his enthusiasm for the Apple Watch.
  • Reply 46 of 51
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

A device that's permanently touching your body (such as a watch) could measure your body for health reasons but also for user interface reasons, i.e. detecting tiny movements you make as UI gestures.

The person who mentioned smart apparel, that would explain the hiring of Ahrendts in an even deeper sense. Sensors in your clothes in a Bluetooth network with your wristwatch.

• Reply 47 of 51
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The job listing seeks a candidate with experience using 3D scanning equipment, motion capture and more. 

Wow, this is my area of expertise.  Would be cool but I doubt I have the qualifications, plus I'm too old.

• Reply 48 of 51
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I can see it now:

The watch (and every IOS device) could be a hub for small satellite sensors, some even inside your own body. Real time medial info with analysis, notifications :-). Imagine being notified that you are at risk for a heart attack, Siri asking you if you want to call the ambulance or drive to the hospital ;-).

• Reply 49 of 51
    dachar wrote: »
    I think we could be close to a major change in health care. Instead of going to the doctor or hospital when something has gone wrong, for some health issues our health can be regularly monitored and potential problems identified and dealt with at a very early stage. Less cost and less pain.

Necessity is the mother of invention and businesses grow when they deliver answers for underserved markets.

It's a numbers game now. There are more and more aging and aged and fewer people around to continually monitor and care for them. Most of our twilight years will be spent being intimately observed with automated and artificial intelligence solutions, not by nurses or family.
  • Reply 50 of 51
    foggyhill wrote: »
    The watch (and every IOS device) could be a hub for small satellite sensors, some even inside your own body. Real time medial info with analysis, notifications :-). Imagine being notified that you are at risk for a heart attack, Siri asking you if you want to call the ambulance or drive to the hospital ;-).

Or your ShockBot 9000 may simply roll up next to you with the paddles and wait.
  • Reply 51 of 51
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Not from consumerism though, it's from overcharging for medicine, equipment and services and from people neglecting their own healthcare:

http://www.businessinsider.com/redditors-appendectomy-cost-5502931-2013-12

"A California study published last year in the Archives of Internal Medicine found that after an appendectomy, patients received bills varying from $1,500 to $180,000"

The problem of people neglecting to look after themselves won't be solved by a consumer electronics company as Nintendo discovered with the Wii Fit. A huge part of the problem is diet rather than fitness too and people just don't have time to track their diet. They can't easily get info about fat, sugar, salt content and calories in meals. Healthcare and fitness has been tried and tried in consumer products and it gets interest for the first few months because it's a new take but people always just end up ignoring it because to most people, life is too short to obsess over things like diet and fitness. It's far easier to laze around on the sofa and angrily tweet at healthy people about how they are body shaming people with their gym selfies:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2913183/Weight-lifting-mum-accused-fat-shaming-posting-picture-rippling-abs-online.html

Very true! Unfortunately there's a lot of evidence of collusion and corruption in the US health care system. You're probably aware of this, but when the government negotiated medicare part D (under Bush), they decided to pay a premium for (already overpriced) medications, rather than use their immense buying power to save money for the taxpayers. Many of the politicians that "negotiated" medicare part D subsequently became well paid "consultants" for the pharma companies. Of course, in Obama's eagerness to aggressively push through his sloppy healthcare plan, medicare part D went largely unchanged. Without campaign finance reform, which isn't going to happen, issues like these are not likely to change.

Another sad example is this:

a $6,000+ device that does one thing (helps autistic patients communicate). The ~$500 iPad does the same thing (in many ways much better), plus much more. Guess which one insurance will pay for?

People neglecting their health is also a big problem (It's a challenge just to get people to take their free medication, and then they're surprised when they need to have a limb amputated). But I see this less as a problem of just accountability, and more a problem of culture. The US is number one in the world (by a good margin) in teen pregnancy, child abuse, and per capita prison population. For a large fraction of the population, optimizing their health is the least of their worries. This is a failure of society.