Apple gearing up for early-2015 MacBook Air refresh, begins pruning inventory & halting shipments

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    pfisher wrote: »
    I wonder what percentage of Mac users need Windows emulation. Less than 5%?

1)It's probably not very high, and the ones that do have it probably aren't buying budget Macs, where is where I see an ARM-based traditional "PC" from Apple.

2) I've been buying it for years but I think I'm going to buy the new 11" Dell for $299 next month simply because I'm tired of fiddling with VMs and paying a hefty price each year to have them updated for the latest Mac OS version. I've been using a netbook I bought from someone on AI a couple years back (I can't recall who it was expect they were from Canada) and that's still coming in handy for the couple times per month I need to re-image a HDD via a USB adapter using a version of Norton Ghost that hasn't been updated in a decade.
  • Reply 22 of 23
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Could we please have a refresh to the Mac Pro? Intel has been providing v3 Haswells for about 6 months already. Steve would approve of Feb. 24th for the update.

• Reply 23 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

1)It's probably not very high, and the ones that do have it probably aren't buying budget Macs, where is where I see an ARM-based traditional "PC" from Apple.

2) I've been buying it for years but I think I'm going to buy the new 11" Dell for $299 next month simply because I'm tired of fiddling with VMs and paying a hefty price each year to have them updated for the latest Mac OS version. I've been using a netbook I bought from someone on AI a couple years back (I can't recall who it was expect they were from Canada) and that's still coming in handy for the couple times per month I need to re-image a HDD via a USB adapter using a version of Norton Ghost that hasn't been updated in a decade.

Yes, Dell seems to be getting its mojo since going private. I saw these machines and why get virtualization, except for convenience of one machine, when you can have a cheap, albeit slow (compared to MacBook Pro), dedicated PC.

The HP Stream is pretty nice. Tried one at a MS Kiosk store in a mall. It is not a speed demon and does not have a touch screen, but for $199...a steal.

I like Windows 8.1 in many ways (and not - in many ways, but not that bad once you are familiar with navigation. 8.1 and 10 are different enough that iOS and Android look the same (not Apple's fault).

Some of us like lots of toys, for no other reason than to have toys. I type this on a $100 Chromebook and look forward to getting a hybrid Windows laptop-slate machine soon.

So, the % of people who need virtualization (and not two machines), could be less than 1%.