Apple's iPhone 6 Plus drives double the data consumption of any other iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2015
The phablet-sized iPhone 6 Plus sees data usage closer to a tablet than a phone as users consume more mobile video content, according to a new report, while iOS continues to dominate the enterprise market around the world.

Owners of the iPhone 6 consume just half as much data as those using the larger iPhone 6 Plus, enterprise virtualization firm Citrix found in its annual Mobile Analytics Report. Both larger iPhones generate significantly more data usage than their 4-inch predecessors.

The numbers --?gathered from Citrix customers around the world --?lend credence to suspicions that the new jumbo iPhones are partly responsible for declining iPad sales. Many consumers who may have previously paired their iPhone with one of Apple's tablets are thought to have chosen to carry only a single, larger iPhone instead.

Citrix also found that iOS remains the dominant mobile platform in the enterprise. Share was down slightly in the Americas --?from 68 percent in 2013 to 67 percent last year --?largely thanks to a jump in Windows Phone adoption, which also caused Android usage to retract.

Apple jumped in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa, rising 7 percentage points to 57 percent over the same period and taking share from both Android and Windows Phone, the latter of which is particularly strong in Europe.

The iPhone did see a huge drop in Asia Pacific, going from 81 percent to 67 percent in the same period as Android rose to take a 37 percent share. Citrix speculates that this is due to Samsung's presence in the region, though fellow South Korean firm LG, Taiwan's HTC, and Japan's Sony also make popular Android devices.

Apple remains particularly strong in the legal and financial fields --?the company owns some 71 percent of the financial market --?which Citrix attributes to iOS's lead in security. iOS is also especially popular in education, an industry in which Apple has captured 78 percent of the market.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27

Keep building 5.5 to 6 inch phones and get rid of the Mini.

[ I originally liked the idea of the iPad Mini... then I got older, lifestyle changed... and now I no longer have need for one. I always liked the Note, just because nothing was offered in that size from Apple. In other words... Apple, if you can make me younger, I will buy a 6 plus ]

• Reply 2 of 27
    Is this a good time to plunk in the "can I have a side of fries with my super size data?"
  • Reply 3 of 27
    I guess they need a plus-sized data plan to go with their phone.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    I guess they need a plus-sized data plan to go with their phone.
    I get much higher speeds with my LTE than with my wifi. I often turn off my wifi because it is slow. It's topsy turvy world.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,646member
    Bigger phone, easier to use. Way easier than my iPhone5.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    eriamjh wrote: »
    Bigger phone, easier to use. Way easier than my iPhone5.

Not that I am suggesting it but one wonders what an iPad that could make phone calls would sell like?
  • Reply 7 of 27
    Never thought I'd see Apple getting numbers like that in enterprise.. They've done an awesome job these last years. I still find it amazing.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I get much higher speeds with my LTE than with my wifi. I often turn off my wifi because it is slow. It's topsy turvy world.

At my parents house it used to be like that. Here I get 50 down/30 up, so I use WiFi. :D

• Reply 9 of 27
    Anyone know if higher resolution versions of videos are preferred in apps running on the 6+? YouTube?
  • Reply 10 of 27
    timmydax wrote: »
    Anyone know if higher resolution versions of videos are preferred in apps running on the 6+? YouTube?

You mean streamed automatically from the source or requested by the user?
  • Reply 11 of 27
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyDax View Post

The YouTube app probably supports Google's variable bit rate feature so If you have the bandwidth available it can detect it an offer up much higher bit rates.

• Reply 12 of 27
    solipsismy wrote: »

I meant streamed automatically, figures for requests could definitely add colour too, definitely. YouTube does such interesting things with bandwidth and resolution through both the app and proprietary HTML5 code; we've come a long way for hardware-accelerated Flash.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    AT&T must love this.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    timmydax wrote: »
    I meant streamed automatically, figures for requests could definitely add colour too, definitely. YouTube does such interesting things with bandwidth and resolution through both the app and proprietary HTML5 code; we've come a long way for hardware-accelerated Flash.

OK, that's what I figured you were getting at but wasn't certain. If YouTube was looking for 1080p or higher resolutions before pushing 1080p content wouldn't that mean both iPhone series models would be on par, since their next highest option is 4K?
  • Reply 15 of 27
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

OK, that's what I figured you were getting at but wasn't certain. If YouTube was looking for 1080p or higher resolutions before pushing 1080p content wouldn't that mean both iPhone series models would be on par, since their next highest option is 4K?

Sure, but aside from the resolution there is the compression to consider. That is where the variable bit rate come in.

• Reply 16 of 27
    mstone wrote: »
    Sure, but aside from the resolution there is the compression to consider. That is where the variable bit rate come in.

But isn't that based on available bandwidth, and with both devices having the same cellular radio capacities wouldn't that also be the same?
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Never thought I'd see Apple getting numbers like that in enterprise.. They've done an awesome job these last years. I still find it amazing.

I have the same amazement at the news. Enterprise was such a closed door to Apple in the '80s and '90s. I just never get jaded with hearing the daily news and high numbers of sales related to Apple's success in the enterprise market. While Ballmer was dancin' and sweatin' to the oldies, Apple went from derision to a preferred brand in most corporate and government departments...with the possible exception of "kingdom building" IT managers.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

At my parents house it used to be like that. Here I get 50 down/30 up, so I use WiFi. :D
    Those are great speeds. On LTE I get 35 down and 10 up. Once I got 53 down. My wifi is about half that but often it hangs and pages can be slow to load.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyDax View Post

Not sure what Google uses, but Apple's HTTP Live Streaming protocol pretty much does the same thing - it adapts to bandwidth conditions and screen resolutions. I believe that was introduced in iOS 3.0 in 2009. In fact, I remember them making a big deal about it with the "MLB at Bat" app. Apple has since submitted it for standardization. In fact, there are many server and clients that have adopted it, including Google building it into Android since Honeycomb.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_Live_Streaming

• Reply 20 of 27
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    Love the 6 plus. I find most phones cramped now. My Moto x feels too small when you consider the on screen controls. Been using my iPad less now. Might sell it soon.