• Reply 61 of 64
    cali wrote: »
    sog35 wrote: »
    1) Tesla and Apple meet last year
    1) Tesla CEO brags that Apple is trying to poach his employees
    2) Tesla CEO says his company could easily reach Apple's size
    3) Rumors about iCar

too much smoke for not to have a fire

The competition always starts talking trash right before Apple enters a new product category.

iCar with TouchID to start the engine baby!

And a pop-out keyboard when Touch ID fails.
  • Reply 62 of 64
    eightzero wrote: »
    sflocal wrote: »

Apple building its own car just doesn't sound right to me.  I don't see Apple getting into that segment.

What I do see is Apple providing technology - besides CarPlay - that gets incorporated into cars.  This could be a central media/technology dashboard, OS, package, whatever that takes integration to the next level.

A smart dashboard/display doing away with analog-type gauges.  User-configurable panels?   Personal Automotive Network (PAN)?  Perhaps even some tech to allow self0-driving cars??  Stuff like that...

Building an entire car though?  I don't see that happening.  

Still very exciting to speculate what Apple's up to though.
    I agree. I'm certainly an outlier on the issue, but there is very little about cars that excite me. They are transportation to me. 

Self-driving cars aren't going to happen in my lifetime. And if I'm wrong, I for one will not only never buy one, but I would never get in one.

That said, I would like an electric car, if for no other reason than I can then say I don't ever need to buy another drop of gasoline from the evil oil companies. But the economics of electric cars still tips the decision from them. I don't have $35k to spend on an electric car; and the value isn't there for me (yet?)

Ironically...YMMV...

I share your views.

Cars just aren't exciting. They get you from A to B. Whoop-de-doo.
  • Reply 63 of 64
    I share your views.

Cars just aren't exciting. They get you from A to B. Whoop-de-doo.

If one has never driven a really well-designed car, that would be a common sentiment. Once the $40,000-60,000 price range is exceeded things get interesting.