BlackBerry fires another legal salvo at Ryan Seacrest's Typo keyboard for iPhone

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    cali wrote: »
    "slavishly copied" eh?

Like how Blackberry slavishly copied the iPhone with their own iPhoney.

Apple should sue Blackberrry for the last bit of money they have left.
    Not sure that's fair. The Z10 looked a little bit like the iPhone, but had notable differences and the software worked very differently.

I'd say the similarities are on the scale of the iPhone to the LG Prada. A bit, but not much.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member

Does this new version even look like a Blackberry keyboard?    Didn't they change it up enough to get past any and all Blackberry patents for this one?   The only people I could see ever wanting that Keyboard are Blackberry users wanting to switch to the iPhone and want this to help switch over.  Maybe that's what Blackberry is really worried about, the few people that are left.  That are Die hard Blackberry users who like a keyboard, really haven't tried or gotten used to typing on a screen,  or these days, Swiping which is really fast!

I don't have a problem with Blackberry suing if it's a COPY and it's patented, go after them.  If they were dumb enough to do it a second time, that's on them!!!   I don't have a problem with someone suing Apple if they copy also!!!    There's innovation and then there's just outright copying what the other person/company did!!!   I'm not a Blackberry keyboard expert so I don't know if it's still a outright copy or did they Innovate enough.  That's for the courts to decide.  I know Blackberry doesn't control the market for tiny keyboards.  I had a tiny keyboard for my Xbox 360 controller.   Comes in really handy at times.   That's a controller and this is a phone, so I'm sure that plays into it.  

I think a keyboard like this on a phone these days is just silly.  I also think it's dumb as it comes up the HOME button, which means no touchid, a huge feature I'm always using.  It's bulking up the phone a bunch for that thing and just looks silly.  Move forward and leave that crap in the past.  It's one reason why BlackBerry failed.  They were all stuck on that keyboard.  Even today, they're still stuck on it which is why they'll never turn things around and the phone business will end up being killed off.

• Reply 23 of 29
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Ryan Seacret is doing his darndest to make tiny keyboards relevant again and BB is fighting him instead of embracing him...? Go figure...??

Because it's on a competitor's device.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Ryan Seacret is doing his darndest to make tiny keyboards relevant again and BB is fighting him instead of embracing him...? Go figure...??

Because it's on a competitor's device.

True, but it adds to the number of users doing thumb twiddling, which supports the BB platform concept. I think of it like how fast food joints like to be crowded together because they all make more money. Actually I don't care about the issue, I dictate to Siri what to type - "I done wan no steekin' keyboards."

• Reply 25 of 29
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    True, but it adds to the number of users doing thumb twiddling, which supports the BB platform concept. I think of it like how fast food joints like to be crowded together because they all make more money. Actually I don't care about the issue, I dictate to Siri what to type - "I done wan no steekin' keyboards."

I'd bet that the buyers of Typo were ex-BB users, and switched to the iPhone but still miss having a physical keyboard. BB's stance is if they want a BB keyboard let them buy a BB, not a BB keyboard for their iPhone.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member

Dumb.  All of it.  The product is dumb and last-century.  The lawsuit is dumb because Blackberry is pretty much non-existent at this point.  Guys, I realize you want to capitalize on all you have left, namely patents.  But it's over.  Close up shop, sell your IP, and buy houses in Florida.  

• Reply 27 of 29
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    crowley wrote: »
    Not sure that's fair. The Z10 looked a little bit like the iPhone, but had notable differences and the software worked very differently.

I'd say the similarities are on the scale of the iPhone to the LG Prada. A bit, but not much.
    i don't want to hear about LG Prada and iPhone comparison, why? Here: 700
  • Reply 28 of 29
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Huh? Why are you responding to something you don't want to hear about?

If memory serves, the original LG Prada was monochrome anyway, so I don't know what phone that blue screen is on.

Not sure that there's even a valid point there. Apple didn't claim to reinvent the keypad, and I don't think there's a whole lot of innovation to be had there.
  • Reply 29 of 29

Apple should fight against Blackberry, actually Apple should see this matters seriously and take action against Blackberry, so that it can set as an example for other companies as well.