NBC for iOS gains live streaming as Kayak, Snapchat and Yelp also see Apple updates

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2015
A number of major iOS downloads saw updates on Wednesday, including the official NBC app, which now offers live streaming in select market. In addition, Kayak has gained a new "Hotel for Tonight" feature, Snapchat has added the ability to take a snap while listen to music, and Yelp now offers review translations for iPad.

NBC goes live




The official NBC app was updated on Wednesday with live streaming video of the broadcast network's programming. The feature is available to cable and satellite subscribers in select markets.

The updated application also includes support for Apple's AirPlay, allowing users to stream vide from their iPhone or iPad to an Apple TV for big-screen viewing.

Version 3.0 also adds an expanded full-episode library of classic NBC shows, including "The A-Team," "Miami Vice," "Kojak," "Battlestar Galactica," "The Incredible Hulk," "Knight Rider," and more.

Kayak offers quick hotels




Last-minute hotel shoppers can take advantage of the new "Hotel for Tonight" feature in the latest version of Kayak for iOS. The updated app offers the ability to see the best prices for top-rated hotels nearby.

The new "hotel for Tonight" feature can be found on the main menu of Kayak version 35.0.0. It requires iOS 8.0 or later.

Snapchat while you listen to music

Popular social networking service Snapchat also saw an update on Wednesday, with version 9.2.0 giving users the ability to take a snap while playing music or any other audio from their phone. Previously, doing so was not allowed.

The latest version of Snapchat also features the usual bug fixes and speed improvements. It's a free download from the App Store.

Yelp adds translations, more




Finally, Yelp for iOS was also updated with a number of changes, most notably the review translation feature which has now been brought to the iPad version of the app. This allows users to read reviews from locals around the world.

iPad owners also gain the new photo and video upload experience that was previously exclusive to the iPhone version of the app.

And version 9.3.0 of Yelp also has a refreshed iPhone Nearby page, which makes it easier to find the best local business suggestions nearby.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 8
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,008member
    I'm just waiting for the NBC Brian William's App 'Pants fire'.
  • Reply 2 of 8



    The official NBC app was updated on Wednesday with live streaming video of the broadcast network's programming. The feature is available to cable and satellite subscribers in select markets.



    The updated application also includes support for Apple's AirPlay, allowing users to stream vide from their iPhone or iPad to an Apple TV for big-screen viewing.

     

    Now this is just getting stupid. I  have to have a cable or SAT subscription to watch NBC on my iOS device, where I can then AirPlay it to my TV rather that just watching NBC via OnDemand with Comcast. At least HBOGO and Showtime Anytime made some sense as they are pay extra channels, but a network that is available over the air for free. WTF!

  • Reply 3 of 8
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,008member
    kent909 wrote: »
    Now this is just getting stupid. I  have to have a cable or SAT subscription to watch NBC on my iOS device, where I can then AirPlay it to my TV rather that just watching NBC via OnDemand with Comcast. At least HBOGO and Showtime Anytime made some sense as they are pay extra channels, but a network that is available over the air for free. WTF!

    I agree, no cable contracts should be required. The Holly Grail will be here when content providers miss out the sleazy cable companies and deal directly with us, the people and we pay them directly.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post





    I agree, no cable contracts should be required. The Holly Grail will be here when content providers miss out the sleazy cable companies and deal directly with us, the people and we pay them directly.

    Can we envision one day having all channels over the Internet. Free with ads or pay for a no ad feed? I bet not in my lifetime.

  • Reply 5 of 8
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,008member
    kent909 wrote: »
    Can we envision one day having all channels over the Internet. Free with ads or pay for a no ad feed? I bet not in my lifetime.

    I think it is almost here. The cable companies' origination was stealing from networks and reselling that content with their own ads. It is high time they went to hell.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 1,994member

    Again, another worthless app!!!  Really, a Cable or Satellite subscription needed to watch something I can see for free with a Antenna or go to their own web site and stream on my computer for free???   Thanks for nothing NBC.  You know, when you do dumb things like this and make things hard, there's other FREE ways to get the content and commercial free!!!  Now you get NOTHING!!!!   Instead of extra eyes watching your content which you can use to boost your ad money, you lost another person.  You really think I'm going  to sign up to Cable to Satellite ever again because of this?  NOPE!!!!!  If anything it turns me off from them even more.

     

    Being a Cable Cutter, I'm saving $135 a month from what I was paying.  I have a low $35 a month U-Verse Internet bill.  Not nearly as fast as Comcast, but fast enough to stream HD content from Netflix and get any other content I want.  In fact between my Antenna, Netflix, and even Amazon which I had before I dropped Comcast, I have more content now then ever before and no time to watch it all.  

     

    A broadcast station that even streams content on their web site for free, requiring a Cable or Satellite Subscription is beyond DUMB!!!  It completely defy's logic.   Oh well, just another app I won't download.  If it pops up on AppleTV, I'll block it from showing up also like all the other worthless ones.

  • Reply 7 of 8
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,008member
    jbdragon wrote: »
    Again, another worthless app!!!  Really, a Cable or Satellite subscription needed to watch something I can see for free with a Antenna or go to their own web site and stream on my computer for free???   Thanks for nothing NBC.  You know, when you do dumb things like this and make things hard, there's other FREE ways to get the content and commercial free!!!  Now you get NOTHING!!!!   Instead of extra eyes watching your content which you can use to boost your ad money, you lost another person.  You really think I'm going  to sign up to Cable to Satellite ever again because of this?  NOPE!!!!!  If anything it turns me off from them even more.

    Being a Cable Cutter, I'm saving $135 a month from what I was paying.  I have a low $35 a month U-Verse Internet bill.  Not nearly as fast as Comcast, but fast enough to stream HD content from Netflix and get any other content I want.  In fact between my Antenna, Netflix, and even Amazon which I had before I dropped Comcast, I have more content now then ever before and no time to watch it all.  

    A broadcast station that even streams content on their web site for free, requiring a Cable or Satellite Subscription is beyond DUMB!!!  It completely defy's logic.   Oh well, just another app I won't download.  If it pops up on AppleTV, I'll block it from showing up also like all the other worthless ones.

    Three years, two months, one week and two days here and no regrets. My name is Digitalclips and I was a cable user ...'
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post



    I'm just waiting for the NBC Brian William's App 'Pants fire'.



    I was think a MadLib's app would be pretty fun.

     

    There I was _____________ and minding my own business, when suddenly _________   __________  came out from around the corner.  I had no choice but to _________ and _________ before they could _________.

Sign In or Register to comment.