Makeovr Web app lets iPhone users create blank spaces on home screen

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2019
If you've ever found yourself despairing over Apple's insistence that home screen icons be lined up neatly in rows, but can't -- or won't -- turn to jailbreak tweaks, a relatively new Web app called Makeovr has come to your rescue.

Makeovr provides a quick way to create "invisible icons" -- icons that will occupy slots on your home screen, but which appear to blend into the background. Using this technique, you can position regular app icons or folders in a slot of your choice.

It works by taking advantage of an iOS feature that dates back to the first-generation iPhone: the ability to add Web pages to the home screen as pseudo-apps. This was, of course, Apple's initial strategy for third-party apps on the platform but was quickly superseded by the iOS SDK and App Store.

Apple gives web developers the ability to define custom icons for use in the event that their site or Web app is added to an iOS home screen. Makeovr creates a number of custom icons based on a specific wallpaper, and lets users select individual icons based on which portions of their screen they'd like to be "blank."

You can choose from one of Makeovr's ready-made themes, including an excellent Mario offering, or upload a screenshot of your own background to create bespoke blanking panels. To get started, visit makeovr.io from an iPhone 5, 5s, 6, or 6 Plus.

For those who want an entirely blank first page of their home screen, Apple began catering to minimalists with this option starting in iOS 8.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    This is absurdly useless. Plus I'd imagine if you tap on the "empty" space where normal apps would've been that it will take you into safari. What is minimalistic about having multiple useless invisible icons? I think that goes against the idea of minimalism.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Doesn't this just create a bunch of links to MakeOvr's site on your screen? I don't want to launch Safari every time I touch one of those spots accidentally....or am I missing something? Clever...but not very practical?
  • Reply 3 of 16

Have to agree.  Of things that irritate me from time to time about Apple what some see as inflexible I don't bother about.  I'd rather have a bit of inflexibility but an ecosystem that 'just works'.

• Reply 4 of 16
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I wouldn't bother myself (and I like my parallax!) but I'll admit, it's a clever hack!
  • Reply 5 of 16
    This is a great idea, I like having only a few icons per screen without bunching them together in the top left corner. I have the 6 and this would also work great to leave left column blank. I'm trying it :)
  • Reply 6 of 16
    This isn't about minimalism, it's about customization and freedom to put your icons wherever you want. I love it
  • Reply 7 of 16
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I just wish that you could make custom icons for folders so they would be easier to recognize.

• Reply 8 of 16

I think this is about customization and freedom more than minimalism. I love it.

• Reply 9 of 16
    This is great !!!!!
    Now I can make my iOS device look as crappy as possible !!!
  • Reply 10 of 16
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    simbalion wrote: »
    Doesn't this just create a bunch of links to MakeOvr's site on your screen? I don't want to launch Safari every time I touch one of those spots accidentally....or am I missing something? Clever...but not very practical?

It can help with the bigger phones too as it can create a blank row at the top so that all apps are reachable. A web link is the only way they could do it as Apple wouldn't allow an app in the App Store with a blank name and icon. The only other type they could make would be a web app, which has to be a website of some sort, it makes sense to link it to their own. Apple could allow creating whitespace blocks by tap-holding on a blank area of the home screen, which could then be moved, resized and deleted.

Apple could eventually switch to the Watch-style homescreen without the pages of apps. That would work better if the screen tracked your hand in 3D, panned over to where your thumb or finger was heading before tapping and zoomed in where you were about to press. It can zoom out when you grab an icon to relocate it to position it quickly.

[VIDEO]

The more apps that people get, the less efficient the paging is because they never implemented a multiple page jump. It's a little harder to recognize apps in a big grid like that but you can fit more than 2x the amount of icons in each screen with the Watch layout.

If they had the zooming, they could also make the dock part more like OS X where the dots are smaller and zoom up as you hover over them. They could perhaps allow multiple actions this way too so you'd tap-hold, the bubbles would scale up and down a bit vs wobbling and then instead of showing crosses, you'd tap the icons to select them and there would be options at the bottom of the screen to delete selected, group them together (which would arrange the chosen icons together in the order selected), merge them into a folder so you're not dragging individual icons all the time.

It would still make sense in that style to have a way of grouping apps into separated clouds with spacing or some kind. Perhaps groups of apps can have optional single icon separation around the group and maybe circle each icon with a colored stroke to make the group more visible. Zooming out would always have to show a large scale overview (likely all apps at the extreme) but it can behave a bit like how their Photos app works.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It can help with the bigger phones too as it can create a blank row at the top so that all apps are reachable. A web link is the only way they could do it as Apple wouldn't allow an app in the App Store with a blank name and icon. The only other type they could make would be a web app, which has to be a website of some sort, it makes sense to link it to their own. Apple could allow creating whitespace blocks by tap-holding on a blank area of the home screen, which could then be moved, resized and deleted.

Apple could eventually switch to the Watch-style homescreen without the pages of apps. That would work better if the screen tracked your hand in 3D, panned over to where your thumb or finger was heading before tapping and zoomed in where you were about to press. It can zoom out when you grab an icon to relocate it to position it quickly.

The more apps that people get, the less efficient the paging is because they never implemented a multiple page jump. It's a little harder to recognize apps in a big grid like that but you can fit more than 2x the amount of icons in each screen with the Watch layout.

If they had the zooming, they could also make the dock part more like OS X where the dots are smaller and zoom up as you hover over them. They could perhaps allow multiple actions this way too so you'd tap-hold, the bubbles would scale up and down a bit vs wobbling and then instead of showing crosses, you'd tap the icons to select them and there would be options at the bottom of the screen to delete selected, group them together (which would arrange the chosen icons together in the order selected), merge them into a folder so you're not dragging individual icons all the time.

It would still make sense in that style to have a way of grouping apps into separated clouds with spacing or some kind. Perhaps groups of apps can have optional single icon separation around the group and maybe circle each icon with a colored stroke to make the group more visible. Zooming out would always have to show a large scale overview (likely all apps at the extreme) but it can behave a bit like how their Photos app works.

I have a 6 Plus, and I personally still don't want a row of basically invisible buttons that launch something.  But to each his own.

I mean I totally understand the concerns about the growing number of apps people need to manage, but this is not the way I'd like to manage them.

• Reply 12 of 16
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member

I wish Apple would allow placement of icons anywhere. 

Given how many apps are typically on one's phone, the current user interface is not very efficient.

In addition to better folder recognition, I would love a responsive filter that would reveal only the apps of a selected category.

I suppose WWDC will reveal whether or not Apple has any intentions of adding customization in iOS 9.

• Reply 13 of 16
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    Personally, I wish the icons would fill from the bottom of the screen, rather than the top.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Forget not having the ability to move icons precisely where you want them...Apple, bring back nested folders! Ok, so it was an exploitation of a bug, but it made my homescreen so much more organized and useful. Now, since the exploit has been broken, I have screens again with all sorts of apps that can no longer be put in the nested folders that I have (that still work as nested folders). I can still add apps to the parent folder, but can no longer place them over each other to make another folder within that folder. I love to organize my apps and as great as folders are, I like to nest some categories in with others that are similar. This needs to be implimented as a feature in iOS 9 (though it sounds like iOS 9 will be a more Snow Leopard-like update so there will likely be few if any new features). Also I agree about allowing custom icons (or at least a set of default icons) to make each folder more easily recognized. Apple doesn't allow much in the way of flexibility in their operating systems (and I'm generally fine with that), but even this is allowed in OSX.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    The article never suggested all these extra icons where for the minimalists.

Only the last sentence is for the minimalists.
  • Reply 16 of 16

Sure right.

Still love that feature