Lenovo bundled adware on some laptops, leaves users with staggering security vulnerabilities

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46

Hi Relic - glad to see you back on the AI board after Butthead Frost gave you such a horrible riding over something you said. In the meantime nearly everyone on this board has put him on ignore... his comments are usually so nutty dumb.

• Reply 42 of 46
    Hi Relic - glad to see you back on the AI board after Butthead Frost gave you such a horrible riding over something you said. In the meantime nearly everyone on this board has put him on ignore... his comments are usually so nutty dumb.

As well as reporting your post as offensive, I'm not aware of ever giving Relic a 'horrible riding'.

Relic's posts are some of the most entertaining of any on this forum—as I'm sure Phil Boogie would attest—and after all she's been through, I wouldn't dream of writing anything negative to her, nor have I.

When I joined AI, I considered you one of the wittier posters of AI. Sadly, you seem to have become embittered, which I find a shame. I'd like to see the old Macky back.
  • Reply 43 of 46
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    I have always considered Lenovo to be one of teh better PC manufacturers. This Superfish tie-n was absolutely stupid, and all for a couple extra bucks from the models they installed it on. Idiotic move. At least they've stepped up and given those affected a tool to remove something they should never have had to deal with in the first place.
    http://techcrunch.com/2015/02/20/how-to-remove-superfish-lenovo/

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/product_security/superfish_uninstall
  • Reply 44 of 46
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I have always considered Lenovo to be one of teh better PC manufacturers. This Superfish tie-n was absolutely stupid, and all for a couple extra bucks from the models they installed it on. Idiotic move. At least they've stepped up and given those affected a tool to remove something they should never have had to deal with in the first place.
    http://techcrunch.com/2015/02/20/how-to-remove-superfish-lenovo/

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/product_security/superfish_uninstall

Agreed, what do you think they gained by installing such software? Hopefully this ordeal has taught Lenovo some kind of lesson that consumers don't want this and will not tolerate such things, that is when they find out. I've always had at least two laptops around, an Apple and a Lenovo. I still have my X61T, looks and runs like the day I bought it, I even still use it for testing out software, right now it's running just Chromium OS, makes a better ChromeBook than most that are out there. It seems Lenovo is just installing this on their consumer line, I doubt they would dare put it on their business machines. Though again I personally format the drive and do a fresh install on every new device I get, including a MacBook as I like to create a separate partition for my home directory. Hopefully one of these days Apple will dump their filesystem for ZFS, that way I can share the home partition with Solaris in a dual boot configuration.
  • Reply 45 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

So...don't trust Red China companies. Got it.

I got the feeling that it was Lenovo in the US that made the decision to inject Superfish. It's not like Windows in American English is a big seller in China. I'd bet these disk images were targeted for the US by folks that work in the US.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

If Apple were caught doing this, it would be sued into oblivion.

When did it become cool to start referring to Apple as plural? I'm not picking on sflocal here -- I see this all over.

Except from Tim Cook.

Quotes from Cook:

And I'm not a historian, so I can't tell you about the beginning of time, but I don't really think Apple was ever a hardware company, even at the beginning of time.

Because that's not what Apple stands for, and that's not what we think customers want.

And so IBM has very deep knowledge of a number of verticals; Apple doesn't have that. Apple has incredible devices that enterprises want to deploy; IBM doesn't have that. Apple has an operating system that you can write apps for easily, a programming language that helps do that; IBM doesn't have that.