Rumor: Unique display to showcase Apple Watch at high-end Paris department store

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    If John Browett was still in charge of retail ops, the Watch would be headed straight for Radio Shack. /s

You mean Dixons.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    The Apple watch is not a watch. And please no Motorola hype. Motorola is a company in existential crisis now. Owned by Lenovo, another company in deep trouble. Like Samsung all three are stuck in the deadly middle of the market beneath dominant Apple and above the pirahnas of dozens of cheap phone makers which look "as good as" their models. So they are both outclassed and underpriced at the same time.

Very few people will consider buying Motorola products unless the price is brought down considerably, same with Samsung and Lenovo whose premium phones are over $600
  • Reply 23 of 29
    So the answer to how Apple will sell the watch becomes clearer. Have boutique stores (standalone and piggyback) handle the heavy lifting on the pricier models, and let the existing Apple Stores handle most of the traffic on the mass market ones. That way, existing stores can be only slightly modified to accomodate the new product. No need to create a crazy lux/everyman ridiculous hybrid.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

So the answer to how Apple will sell the watch becomes clearer. Have boutique stores (standalone and piggyback) handle the heavy lifting on the pricier models, and let the existing Apple Stores handle most of the traffic on the mass market ones. That way, existing stores can be only slightly modified to accomodate the new product. No need to create a crazy lux/everyman ridiculous hybrid.

You know...maybe. And perhaps more likely on launch. But, in the long run, I really can't see Apple making a product you can't get directly from them...somehow. I can see early on that Apple Watch Edition will be a "prestige" item with limited availability in Apple Stores - perhaps requiring an appointment to access. Would people online order an edition for UPS delivery? Some might. But on launch day? Sure - I can see your point: Apple Watch Edition only in select stores.

And two things are reasonably predictable:

1. People need to be careful about doorside delivery on launch day. I can see an active uptick in Bad Guys(tm) watching for deliveries on doorsteps that week for packages from Apple Inc.; and

2. Business opportunity: Concierge service by third parties to come show you an Apple Watch Edition in your home/office. For a fee, of course.

• Reply 25 of 29
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,078member
    3. Another business that will pop up: an offer to gold plate or gold powder coat your $349 apple watch sport.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    bjnflicks wrote: »
    The Apple watch is not a watch. And please no Motorola hype. Motorola is a company in existential crisis now. Owned by Lenovo, another company in deep trouble. Like Samsung all three are stuck in the deadly middle of the market beneath dominant Apple and above the pirahnas of dozens of cheap phone makers which look "as good as" their models. So they are both outclassed and underpriced at the same time.

Very few people will consider buying Motorola products unless the price is brought down considerably, same with Samsung and Lenovo whose premium phones are over $600

So nobody should try to build a premium phone? They should just all quit?
  • Reply 27 of 29
    I still don't get it. A high priced watch keeps its value. A Rolex is a Rolex, even after ten years. A gen 1 apple watch is an outdated piece of tech with a dead battery. Unless the gold version with its high price gives you kind of life time free update on the internals I don't see the sense of the high priced model.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WonkoTheSane View Post

I still don't get it. A high priced watch keeps its value. A Rolex is a Rolex, even after ten years. A gen 1 apple watch is an outdated piece of tech with a dead battery. Unless the gold version with its high price gives you kind of life time free update on the internals I don't see the sense of the high priced model.

Congrats for understanding the obvious - most people here don't.

• Reply 29 of 29

No one knows how much Edition watches will sell for anyway... How expensive is "expensive"? One thousand? Three thousand? Ten thousand? Sometimes a higher price will ensure higher sales. It's all relative.